Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I just started pulling a boat (~1800lbs). The trailer doesn't have brakes and I'm noticing that I have to press much harder on the brakes to get the truck to stop. The truck only has 28k miles so I pretty sure the pads are still good.

Are there some upgrade pads that will increase the stopping power without changing the calipers?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Gents,

I just started pulling a boat (~1800lbs). The trailer doesn't have brakes and I'm noticing that I have to press much harder on the brakes to get the truck to stop. The truck only has 28k miles so I pretty sure the pads are still good.

Are there some upgrade pads that will increase the stopping power without changing the calipers?
Stopping power is a function of something called 'swept area'. The swept area won't change with just pads; you'll need bigger brakes or a trailer with brakes.

Different pads may have less fade but have heavier pedal feel until they're hot. Other pads have better initial bite, but fade faster.

Does the pedal effort get better as the brakes heat up?

·
Registered
905 Posts
sounds normal, you just added 1800 pounds to the end of your truck. Considering the capacity, that isn't that much weight. I consistantly tow my 2100 pound camper full of stuff along with the truck full of stuff with no trailer brakes. Just have to give a bit more distance and plan how you are going to drive. I know on the previous model Tacoma's you could swap out the rotors and calipers with the tundra ones. May be possible with the newer ones????

1 - 3 of 3 Posts