Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
markymark975
2009 Corolla XRS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn on the air and have it set on recirculate, the air does not smell too fresh unless I turn the AC on. Does anyone else have this issue? Maybe it's just a matter of replacing the cabin air filter, but an 09 with 18k miles on it should not smell unfresh. Does anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
1,384 Posts
When I turn on the air and have it set on recirculate, the air does not smell too fresh unless I turn the AC on. Does anyone else have this issue? Maybe it's just a matter of replacing the cabin air filter, but an 09 with 18k miles on it should not smell unfresh. Does anyone else experience this?
1) You should always run your car with fresh car coming in....only use recirculate mode when you want max A/C.

2) Check your cabin filter

3) there are some stinky stuff inside your car...example like: wet floor mats or stinky feet.

4) there is a recall for bad smell from the vent....check on that.

·
markymark975
2009 Corolla XRS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) You should always run your car with fresh car coming in....only use recirculate mode when you want max A/C.

3) there are some stinky stuff inside your car...example like: wet floor mats or stinky feet.

I use recirc when I'm in traffic driving close to other cars and dont wana smell fumes. The unfresh smell comes directly from the vents. mats are not wet. I'll have to take out my cabin filter and smell it.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
1,384 Posts
I use recirc when I'm in traffic driving close to other cars and dont wana smell fumes. The unfresh smell comes directly from the vents. mats are not wet. I'll have to take out my cabin filter and smell it.
You sure? Then you will suck in alot of dust and other kind of unhealthy stuff build up in the filter...what is your mileage now? you should replace your cabin filter every 16000km.

·
The Corolla That Could
09 Corolla S
366 Posts

What's your reasoning behind this suggestion?

·
Registered
25 Posts
markymark975 - check your Private Messages box - additional info sent to you.

Check out TSB-0384-09
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345834

I had this TSB done on my '09 LE and no more musty smell for the first 30 seconds or so after turning the AC on. Be sure the Cabin Air filter is new 'cause its the 1st thing the dealer will want to replace.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
1,384 Posts
So you are telling me, you like to keep breathing in the same kind of air flow inside the car? Imagine you always drive your car with the windows closed...and you keep breathing the same air that came out from yourself....it is like trapping in a box, not very good for your health either.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,790 Posts
So you are telling me, you like to keep breathing in the same kind of air flow inside the car? Imagine you always drive your car with the windows closed...and you keep breathing the same air that came out from yourself....it is like trapping in a box, not very good for your health either.
Running with fresh air also stops the windows from fogging up. The recirculate mode is used to dry the air & take out the humidity. It works great with the A/C on & will also defrost the windows faster with the A/C on in the winter, just adjust the temp to warm. ;)

·
Registered
2010 Corolla LE
145 Posts
Check your cabin filter. I think the recommended interval level for changing is 15k. I changed mine at 13k and it was pretty dirty.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,790 Posts
Check your cabin filter. I think the recommended interval level for changing is 15k. I changed mine at 13k and it was pretty dirty.
Mine still looks great at 19k miles. I changed the one in my 07 Matrix at 40k miles & it still wasn't too bad. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
my car has 14k and is perfectly clean. 4runner had nothing until 50k....I should check it though:ugh3:....oh and lol my dads silverado has two:thumbsdow and they have NEVER been changed....mind you that it has 115k miles and we bought it in 1999:ugh3: I only could find one and man that thing was BLACK!:lol: and soooooo many leaves and junk. whatever its not like the stupid think runs anyway:rolleyes:

·
Official TX TN User
2010 Corolla S
161 Posts
I change mine every oil change...every 5,000 miles...and it's almost black. I use the fan a lot though.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,790 Posts
I change mine every oil change...every 5,000 miles...and it's almost black. I use the fan a lot though.
I use my fan all the time too, just goes to show the difference in air quality between Portland & Dallas. :facepalm:

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
I use my fan all the time too, just goes to show the difference in air quality between Portland & Dallas. :facepalm:
lol Houston has pretty bad air quality too:disappoin and water:disappoin and traffic:disappoin and mosquitoes:disappoin.....Oh and from supersize me we WERE the FATTEST city in the US yay for obesity:rolleyes:

Houston just sounds so bad lol Im glad I live in good ole sugar land :p :lol: and on top of it all, we were built over a swamp:confused: now why would they do that?

I use recirculate all the time and never use fresh air from outside....except when I had the mildew smell but that went away so how one day

·
Registered
53 Posts
lol Houston has pretty bad air quality too:disappoin and water:disappoin and traffic:disappoin and mosquitoes:disappoin.....Oh and from supersize me we WERE the FATTEST city in the US yay for obesity:rolleyes:

Houston just sounds so bad lol Im glad I live in good ole sugar land :p :lol: and on top of it all, we were built over a swamp:confused: now why would they do that?

I use recirculate all the time and never use fresh air from outside....except when I had the mildew smell but that went away so how one day
X2 In Houston there is no way to use the fresh air setting. You will end up dying from carbon monoxide poisoning.:lol:

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
X2 In Houston there is no way to use the fresh air setting. You will end up dying from carbon monoxide poisoning.:lol:
:lol: yeah just yesterday a truck blew its black smoke towards my car and I hate the smell of smoke :bleh: And plus its Max A/C which we definitely need here:rolleyes:

·
markymark975
2009 Corolla XRS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Changed the Cabin in filter a few days ago and thought I'd give it a few days ago. The old filter was pretty dirty but did not smell bad. Still have the same unfresh smell coming out of the vents. Does not smell when AC is on.

I tried something that I found online. I took Lysol and sprayed generously inside the supply air intake/louver by the windshield area and ran the fan on high for a few minutes with setting set on outside air. Checked to make sure that the lysol was circulating through the system and it was. Did the same thing on Heat setting.

Smelled ok for a day or so (smelled like fresh scent lysol anyway), but yesterday, the same smell came back again. I called toyota and said I can only take it in to get checked on weekdays so I'd have to figure out something since I work on weekdays.

Could there be stagnant water inside the Supply air grille that's causing this unfresh smell?

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
Changed the Cabin in filter a few days ago and thought I'd give it a few days ago. The old filter was pretty dirty but did not smell bad. Still have the same unfresh smell coming out of the vents. Does not smell when AC is on.

I tried something that I found online. I took Lysol and sprayed generously inside the supply air intake/louver by the windshield area and ran the fan on high for a few minutes with setting set on outside air. Checked to make sure that the lysol was circulating through the system and it was. Did the same thing on Heat setting.

Smelled ok for a day or so (smelled like fresh scent lysol anyway), but yesterday, the same smell came back again. I called toyota and said I can only take it in to get checked on weekdays so I'd have to figure out something since I work on weekdays.

Could there be stagnant water inside the Supply air grille that's causing this unfresh smell?
there was that tsb for the smell....but they said that they had to charge me to actually clean the equipment out:thumbsdow total bs IMO they just wanted to be lazy. but whatever they did to my car, it made the smell go away. But yeah the lysol is suppose to get rid of it for a longer period of time. Your heater coil or whatever its called, could be clogged with mildew and stuff hence the smell

·
Registered
53 Posts
Running with fresh air also stops the windows from fogging up. The recirculate mode is used to dry the air & take out the humidity. It works great with the A/C on & will also defrost the windows faster with the A/C on in the winter, just adjust the temp to warm. ;)

Are you sure about this? If I've got the recirculate turned on and then change the setting the defrost the windscreen, the recirculate switch automatically turns off. I always assumed it was because of additional humidity you get with it turned on.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
Are you sure about this? If I've got the recirculate turned on and then change the setting the defrost the windscreen, the recirculate switch automatically turns off. I always assumed it was because of additional humidity you get with it turned on.
well if you turn up the heat....the heat gets rid of the vapor in the car. the only thing is that I dont understand why he said that recirculate will help dry the air....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts