Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Red Headed Slut
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only asking because I finally got an inclinometer and installed it tonight. I went to my place of employment because we have a loading dock with a very steep angle on it. I pulled up on it with only one side to get my truck on an angle, and only got to about 27 or so degrees before I myself started feeling somewhat uncomfortable. The truck felt fine, but I didn't. The gauge goes to 45, not like I'd ever push it that far. I want to know how far I could push it before I'd have to worry about a roll over.

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
I bet barely moving and no bumps you could go to about 32-35. Just an estimate though. As long as the driver side it higher than the passenger side I feel much better about angles:D

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I don't know, but I want to see pics of that meter and where you put it! :clap: Wouldn't mind doing that myself to shut my wife up... :lol: I'd be like "SEE?!?!? We're only at 30deg! We're FIIIIIIIINNNNNNE......... Now shut up and hold on....." :D

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
PiercedTiger said:
I don't know, but I want to see pics of that meter and where you put it! :clap: Wouldn't mind doing that myself to shut my wife up... :lol: I'd be like "SEE?!?!? We're only at 30deg! We're FIIIIIIIINNNNNNE......... Now shut up and hold on....." :D
I think Adventure North put his right under the clock/passenger airbag light. Just above the center console. I'm assuming Rodge did the same?

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
i like the setup option they have in the new FJ cruisers. i want one of those things on my dash.

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
I bet our trucks are really stable at 180° too.

It's just that in-between part that gets ya! :gaydumbo:

·
Registered
CJ5 Unlimited
308 Posts
There's few toys more dangerous than one of those. They don't tell you anything about how close the car is to rolling... There are so many dynamics in play that a simple gauge can't possibly tell you anything useful.

The only accurate gauge is experience.

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
PiercedTiger said:

LMFAO. thats something i would want to do.

·
Official Lurker
114 Posts
A lift has to make it unstable at a smaller angle than stock, right?

·
Dressed N Black
352 Posts
chukstr said:
A lift has to make it unstable at a smaller angle than stock, right?
That is so true because when you lift it, it raises your center of gravity unless you widen your stance a certain amount to accomadate your lift.

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Sethmark said:
There's few toys more dangerous than one of those. They don't tell you anything about how close the car is to rolling... There are so many dynamics in play that a simple gauge can't possibly tell you anything useful.

The only accurate gauge is experience.
I agree to a point. Unless you have any idea as to what or where your center of gravity is they are useless. If you know where your center of gravity is though they are a handy little tool which can be used as an early warning device, think safety. You can figure out your center of gravity on level ground but you will need access to a truck weighing scale, luckily for me I do, we have one at work, and you will need to take some measuresments. From there you can accurately determine the angle in which your truck will roll over. Having some math skills helps as well.:D

I would post my rollover number but every truck is different, seeing as my truck has a lower center of gravity then most guys here who are at 3" of lift more or less, and my weight distribution is dramatically different with a bumper and winch. I don't want some people thinking my number is good for them, which of course could result in a rollover, thus I will not be posting my number as it is irrelevant to everyone else. You guys can take your own risks. This site loves to spread misinformation so I don't want my name attached to a number if a guy could kill himself pushing his truck to it, I think you guys can understand that.

·
It's an Epiphany
146 Posts
Adventure North said:
...I don't want some people thinking my number is good for them, which of course could result in a rollover, thus I will not be posting my number as it is irrelevant to everyone else. You guys can take your own risks. This site loves to spread misinformation so I don't want my name attached to a number if a guy could kill himself pushing his truck to it, I think you guys can understand that.
AN-great point, I am glad to see that you are willing to with hold that info due to the consequences. Good call.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I understand not posting your roll over numbers. That could be dangerous.

I would be looking for an overall general angle. Something where I could glance over, see the angle, and say "ok, I need to keep an eye on things now and be REALLY careful...."

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
A good option for getting your truck weighed is a landscaping materials place where you can buy rocks, dirt, sand, etc. They always have truck scales. You will probably need to buy something though....

·
Registered
184 Posts
I remember reading an article in Toyota Trails that a general rule of thumb is a max of 45 degrees. Keep in mind that this has a ton of variables that can alter this general rule of thumb.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
75cruiser said:
I remember reading an article in Toyota Trails that a general rule of thumb is a max of 45 degrees. Keep in mind that this has a ton of variables that can alter this general rule of thumb.

That's kinda what I was looking for. Say the truck handles 45deg easy. If I'm not used to it I could be perfectly fine on a 10deg bank, but freak out or stop since I have no idea what angle I'm on. Does that make sense?

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
Don't say that. AN had sense enough not to post numbers, so you shouldn't either. Due to the center of gravity of a lifted truck, that angle would be crazy dangerous. Edit that post out. You don't wan't someone's rolled truck and/or injury on your conscience, do you?

·
Red Headed Slut
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PiercedTiger said:
I understand not posting your roll over numbers. That could be dangerous.

I would be looking for an overall general angle. Something where I could glance over, see the angle, and say "ok, I need to keep an eye on things now and be REALLY careful...."
That's exactly why I got it. That's it, it's just a GAUGE. I'm not going to use it as a fact. Besides like I said in my first post, I felt uncomfortable at 27, so it's not like my truck will see very far past 30.

And I do know that circumstances will change my truck's roll over point.

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
screeber said:
A good option for getting your truck weighed is a landscaping materials place where you can buy rocks, dirt, sand, etc. They always have truck scales. You will probably need to buy something though....
Any truck stop off the highway you can have it done too (Cat scales, etc). I think they charge $5 a weigh. I used them when I drove a semi, but it was charged to the company and never saw the cost. Farmer weigh ins are good too, with permission of course.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts