Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a '03 Corolla LE a couple months ago and I like it except the fact when I really get on it (bought an auto tranny, my bad) it really doesn't really move too much faster. I set myself a $500 limit on engine upgrades (minus intake and exhaust, those are in a separate budget) and so far have been unable to locate anything really to help with this problem. I'm looking for more low end power vs. upper end speed as I drive more city than freeway and it's a commuter car so I'd like to keep it street legal.

Sorry if this is a repeat of something already covered, I was unable to find anything covering engine upgrades in this forum.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
w203, tried it, didn't really get back many things, none of which returned any engine modifications.

FinalGear, that's what Gap insurance is all about :lol:. all I'm looking for is the ability to jump on the gas and go faster up inclines haha, guess it was my fault to go from a 300HP car to the corolla.

·
Registered
62 Posts
get some race headers, PPE. As for engine upgrades there is no such thing as inexpensive, MWR sells upgrades but you are looking at far more than your ~500, I would buy the headers, and definately recommend a tranny cooler to help your transmission with the extra added power. A camcon as suggested before, i would recommend after you buy the extra mods for your NA engine. You could also buy a S/C like me for $2310 for some extra power but thats a different budget, anyways good luck with your modding.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Gut it...

w203, tried it, didn't really get back many things, none of which returned any engine modifications.

FinalGear, that's what Gap insurance is all about :lol:. all I'm looking for is the ability to jump on the gas and go faster up inclines haha, guess it was my fault to go from a 300HP car to the corolla.
OKAY :eek: then here a freebee :thumbup:

Just gut the crap out the Corolla :thumbup: weight reduce

·
Rolla_gt_bst
07 Corolla
21 Posts
upgrade

not tryin to be mean bro but unless u do it urself like make ur own intake pipes n shit like at u will have to pay a little more for example an aem cold air intake runs 180-250$ u can get a ram but like said b4 it's for short end power
if u want to make alot of power ur going to have to spend at least a grand to get around a 30 hp gain

·
Registered
Corolla
84 Posts
I'd drive it as is and save my money until I could afford to switch to a manual transmission car. If you want performance, the last thing you should be driving is a 4 cylinder automatic economy car.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I'd drive it as is and save my money until I could afford to switch to a manual transmission car. If you want performance, the last thing you should be driving is a 4 cylinder automatic economy car.

This is true but there are ways around it, there is much juice to drink out of this 4 cylinder automatic before he starts thinking about a tranny swap, this should be on the end of his list as far as add ons go. Getting a LSD setup and a tranny cooler could compensate a bit for the auto tranny for a while.

·
Registered
44 Posts
are there no aftermarket ECU maps that would alter the shift points of the Auto? to me, the main thing the car needs is just a performance map... its pretty potent for a sub 2 litre 4banger. its a joke compared to my malibu maxx's 3.5 v6..... :lol:... but still pretty good for its size

1 - 14 of 14 Posts