Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the tires on my truck are starting to get worn out and so i've started looking at possible options for replacement. i dont want something too expensive (so far i've been looking at BFG All Terrains). i was thinking somewhere around the $115 range. However, i read in one of these forums that the all terrains will get packed with mud, and playing in the mud is something i would like to do. size? i was hoping for either 31's or 32's...more likely 31's since i dont have a lift. they are going on a stock height 1996 Tacoma 4X4. any suggestions for tires that arent extreme, but would be able to play in the mud a little bit, and are pretty inexpensive would be great.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
Just go hit the tire stores and tell them your price range. For the mud you want a tread pattern that has big lugs with large voids like you see on MTRs. Unfortunatly what makes the tire good in the mud makes it noisy on the highway. You will just have to shop around and see what is available. 31x10.50 is your size limit with no lift. Your other option is to cruise off road boards, and craigslist, for some used tires in your area.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had a set of general 2000s on a 2 wd.Mostly hwy miles.The only went 25,000 and they were shot.That was back in 93.They may have changed the rubber compound by now.If it were me I would look else where.Plenty more to choose from.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
General Tire mainly makes low cost tires that you will find on work truck fleets. They will get you down the highway and in and out of a job site.

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok, thanks. in addition to the tires, i was thinking about getting black wheels too, but i wasn't sure how the backspacing worked. i liked a set of wheels that had 4.5" backspacing. i dont mind a little bit of a wider stance, but i would still like them to be under the truck, lol, any idea how far out those would be with 31X10.5 tires? there were other ones a liked with 3.75" backspacing too, if the 4.5" is too much

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nevermind on the backspacing, i figured it out, but i WAS wondering if a 31X10.5R15 BFG A/T'S would rub on my stock height '96 Tacoma, 4WD...and btw, happy birthday to me, just turned 17 and got my full license today...I'm PSYCHED!

·
Registered
148 Posts
TcmaBoy said:
Just go hit the tire stores and tell them your price range. For the mud you want a tread pattern that has big lugs with large voids like you see on MTRs. Unfortunatly what makes the tire good in the mud makes it noisy on the highway. You will just have to shop around and see what is available. 31x10.50 is your size limit with no lift. Your other option is to cruise off road boards, and craigslist, for some used tires in your area.
Not to be rude, but what's wrong w/ 32x11.50? I realize "squared off" tires such as bf a/t will rub, but I have the second set of 32x11.50 maxis mudders on my truck and have no problems. I might could make them rub, but It would have to be on a odd angle and never happens in everday driving...even when the wheel is turned all the way. I love my 32's and won't run anything else.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
12guns said:
Not to be rude, but what's wrong w/ 32x11.50? I realize "squared off" tires such as bf a/t will rub, but I have the second set of 32x11.50 maxis mudders on my truck and have no problems. I might could make them rub, but It would have to be on a odd angle and never happens in everday driving...even when the wheel is turned all the way. I love my 32's and won't run anything else.
With no lift most 32s will rub when the steering is at full lock, or when the suspension is at full compression. Hit a hard bump on the highway you rub. Take a corner with some speed and the combination of turned wheels and body roll results in rub. Eventually it goes away when the tire wears down. With no lift the 31x10.50 is the recommended tire size. One thing to realize about tires is that not all tires are true to their dimensions. Some tires are listed at 32 when they actually measure 31, so you can get away with a "32" because it isn't a true 32 inch tire.

·
Registered
148 Posts
TcmaBoy said:
With no lift most 32s will rub when the steering is at full lock, or when the suspension is at full compression. Hit a hard bump on the highway you rub. Take a corner with some speed and the combination of turned wheels and body roll results in rub. Eventually it goes away when the tire wears down. With no lift the 31x10.50 is the recommended tire size. One thing to realize about tires is that not all tires are true to their dimensions. Some tires are listed at 32 when they actually measure 31, so you can get away with a "32" because it isn't a true 32 inch tire.
Makes sense to me. When my shocks are at full compression, and the tires are new, they do rub, but only slightly and only on the frame rail. normal everday driving doesn't cause these to rub, even at full lock.
I wish I had some picutures of last weekend! A friend of a friend got an 03' Yukon stuck in the middle of a bean field in Central Arkansas...The YOTA was the only truck that could make it back there and out. I even had to pull out an 04' GMC 2500 HD out of the edge of a wheat field (wasn't stuck bad, just couldn't get traction, and I was on dry ground) I was glad I had the 32's then! They had to leave the Yukon out there over night, My buddy called and said I left some Deep ruts where I stopped to pick them up! GOOD TIMES!!

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
Taco Supreme said:
so i guess 31X10.5R15 wont rub? what if they're mounted on 15X8 rims with 3.75" backspacing?
Correct, 31x10.50 is actually a factory tire size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts