Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum. Just bought my first Toyota. 2005 Corolla "S". I bought it for the reputation Toyota has as a reliable car with good gas mileage. So far I'm happy to say my experiance has been close to the reputation.
Two questions I had though. One, I seem to be averaging only about 27 MPG, Sticker posted 31/38 and two, Every so often i have a hard time starting the car, meaning I have to turn the key two times to get it started. Any ideas??
Any other advice good or bad on this car would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks All
Dave S.

·
Registered
136 Posts
yeah, the battery on this car sucks that's why it's difficult to start. If i remember right, it's like 300amp while most cars are at least 500.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
MPG doesn't get up to par untill after the car is well broken in. I didn't start hitting the high 30s on the highway untill my car had about 3-5,000 miles on it.
As for he starting I don't know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
05corolla"s" said:
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum. Just bought my first Toyota. 2005 Corolla "S". I bought it for the reputation Toyota has as a reliable car with good gas mileage. So far I'm happy to say my experiance has been close to the reputation.
Two questions I had though. One, I seem to be averaging only about 27 MPG, Sticker posted 31/38 and two, Every so often i have a hard time starting the car, meaning I have to turn the key two times to get it started. Any ideas??
Any other advice good or bad on this car would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks All
Dave S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Dave,
I also bought an 05 Corolla S in September for the same reasons, reputation, reliability and gas mileage. I love the car but I am now also suffering the woes of many 05 Corolla owners. I bought my "program" car with 7300 miles on it. If you are averaging 27 MPG with yours you are doing pretty well. Mine gets a consistant 23.5 MPG in combined city/highway driving. I also have the intermittent hard starting problem as well when the engine is hot and I try to restart after a short stop such as at a store. I took the car to the dealership to try to get these problems fixed. When I picked up the car, they said exactly what I thought they would say. "No codes, no defects found". Then I learned of the service bulletin that came out to correct the hard starting in this forum. I took the car back to the dealership with service bulletin in hand. The service advisor (also the assistant service manager) said "oh wow, we didnt know about this one". PITIFUL. Anyhow they said okay and that they would take care of it. When I picked up the car I drove to my pick up my son from his orthodontics appointment. 20 minutes later guess what? Car hard to start. VERY frustrating! Went back to the dealership a couple of days later to complain that the service bulletin to reflash the ECM with new software didn't work. (I had serious doubts that they even did it) The service guy comes back after talking to the mechanic who supposedly performed the service bulletin. He said that the reflash should have taken 24 minutes, but on mine it took 44 and then failed. He tried again and it took around 30 minutes but then "took". Then they said they were just going to order a new ECM for me. It came in a few days later and the car goes back again to have it installed. After I picked the car up, I checked to see if they really changed it and they did. (I had marked the old one with a Sharpie). So, what do you think happened? All was well for about a week and then here we go again! Intermittent hard starting on a hot restart. Also, a consistant 23.5 MPG. I am so freakin' disappointed with this. What am I going to do now? Suck it up I guess. I'm happy for all of you Corolla owners out there that get 30+ MPG. I am going to try some self help now by putting in $8.00 a piece spark plugs, change the oil to synthetic, and put in a K&N air filter. Hopefully this will help. Good luck to all of you other 05' owners...

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 8,500 miles on my 05 Corolla S, and I get 32 City, and 40 Highway.
When I first got it I was getting 27 mpg city..
I noticed the big change in mileage after I drove from NY to FL.
Now I always get 32 - 33 mpg city..

·
Registered
983 Posts
Every so often i have a hard time starting the car, meaning I have to turn the key two times to get it started. Any ideas??
Go to the top right of the corolla forum page and click on the (search this forum) tab, type in "2005 starting problem"...It will show you all the posts about the 2005 corolla starting problems...Looks like you have the same starting problems thousands are having with their 05 corollas.. (warning...one thread is 600 posts long and it will scare you!)...Good luck...~Radd Guy~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts