Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 120 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
HKS is working on something right now for the 3.5.

https://www.facebook.com/VaNkulture/videos/832001570186502/
That's pretty cool. It's a start but could definitely be improved on. Starting with a front mount intercooler. Still something is better than nothing. I find it odd they chose a mini van of all things but I don't believe they have the V6 as an option in the Japanese Camry.

I'm hoping since Toyota appears to only produce TRD parts for trucks these days that they will come out with a supercharger for the new Tacoma. Since it now uses the 2gr motor like the Camry it may possible to make it work.

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Rubber Ducky
849 Posts
That's pretty cool. It's a start but could definitely be improved on. Starting with a front mount intercooler. Still something is better than nothing. I find it odd they chose a mini van of all things but I don't believe they have the V6 as an option in the Japanese Camry.

I'm hoping since Toyota appears to only produce TRD parts for trucks these days that they will come out with a supercharger for the new Tacoma. Since it now uses the 2gr motor like the Camry it may possible to make it work.
The 2gr is offered in the larger vehicles, but not widely liked due to the additional taxes that come along with it. It's a start at least.

There is some design changes that would need to happen with it for camry use due to hood clearance, but i do not see an issue with it, just the price tag for such low results. im used to procharger style gains, but a 300 whp camry/sienna would be amusing.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Eaton makes a supercharger for the 2GR-FE for Lotus. The Evora has this supercharger and it's the same supercharger TRD Australia used for their now defunct TRD Aurion. It didn't even make it out to the public since TRD Australia pulled it off their catalog due to some "mechanical issues" but I do wonder if the computer Lotus used can be used with the Camry. Monkey Wrench might have something, and regarding the internals from Monkey Wrench, there are some internals that can be used without having it tuned. It's a simple DIY swap but when you get to the big boys such as pistons and rods, then it's common sense you will need a proper tune due to compression ratio changes and timing.

It all comes down to money. If you're willing to shell out 50% of your car's worth to gain max 50 HP, let alone a Camry, more power to you, but it's really not worth the time, money, and hassle. Save the money and get a faster car.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The 2gr is offered in the larger vehicles, but not widely liked due to the additional taxes that come along with it. It's a start at least.

There is some design changes that would need to happen with it for camry use due to hood clearance, but i do not see an issue with it, just the price tag for such low results. im used to procharger style gains, but a 300 whp camry/sienna would be amusing.
I agree. I'm used to an extra 50% hp gain from a centrifugal supercharger on an LS motor not the minimal gain here but I would imagine the gains could be higher out of it. I would be willing to bet it only runs about 4-5psi. A smaller pulley to bump it up around 8-10psi should show better gains. Combined with a decent front mount, the MKC y-pipe and a free flowing exhaust I dont see why 350whp wouldn't be possible. That should be sufficient to put the car into the 12s.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Eaton makes a supercharger for the 2GR-FE for Lotus. The Evora has this supercharger and it's the same supercharger TRD Australia used for their now defunct TRD Aurion. It didn't even make it out to the public since TRD Australia pulled it off their catalog due to some "mechanical issues" but I do wonder if the computer Lotus used can be used with the Camry. Monkey Wrench might have something, and regarding the internals from Monkey Wrench, there are some internals that can be used without having it tuned. It's a simple DIY swap but when you get to the big boys such as pistons and rods, then it's common sense you will need a proper tune due to compression ratio changes and timing.

It all comes down to money. If you're willing to shell out 50% of your car's worth to gain max 50 HP, let alone a Camry, more power to you, but it's really not worth the time, money, and hassle. Save the money and get a faster car.
The TRD/Lotus supercharger is super expensive if you can even find one. As far as the Lotus ecu from the reading I have done it is not interchangeable. 2gr swaps are popular in MR2s and some of those guys had looked into it but to my knowledge nobody has been able to make it work.

As far as internals without tuning I would like to know what you are talking about. Honestly you could probably get away with slightly higher compression Pistons 10.5:1 would probably be doable but the gains would be minimal. Any other "internals" like heads or cams would definitely require tuning.

·
Honda-Tech White Ops
1,581 Posts
I agree. I'm used to an extra 50% hp gain from a centrifugal supercharger on an LS motor not the minimal gain here but I would imagine the gains could be higher out of it. I would be willing to bet it only runs about 4-5psi. A smaller pulley to bump it up around 8-10psi should show better gains. Combined with a decent front mount, the MKC y-pipe and a free flowing exhaust I dont see why 350whp wouldn't be possible. That should be sufficient to put the car into the 12s.
Well, Coming from the Honda world, I can tell you that Mounts, Axles, and of course the trans will have to be upgraded.

Im sure the converter can be sent out for a better stall<sp> rate. But who makes mounts? No one. But people have been using Windo-weld to strengthen mounts with decent results. Axles would be another issue.

Maybe Raxles have a set? Theyre pricey, but cheaper than DriveShaftShop

·
Honda-Tech White Ops
1,581 Posts
Somebody posted up a catback for the 4banger..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361384177819

So I contacted the seller to see if there was a discount if I bought 2 sets. Nope.

I think with a little fabbing at the flange to make it a Y merge then flipping the tip, it should look like a true duel.

Still on the fence about spending 600 bucks plus fabbing costs..

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Camry
13 Posts
Hello

I saw someone post the AEM drop-in filter and I noticed it said for the 2.5L only.

Is there a AEM V6 one? Or are both intakes the same?

Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
So I contacted the seller to see if there was a discount if I bought 2 sets. Nope.

I think with a little fabbing at the flange to make it a Y merge then flipping the tip, it should look like a true duel.

Still on the fence about spending 600 bucks plus fabbing costs..
If ur gonna spend that much, just get the xsp one for $750 and is bolt on.

·
TN &#12398; &#12364;&#12375;&#12423;&#12358;
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
It looks okay, but I don't think it's worth it. IMO, quad pipes on a camry ruins the look of the car. It just doesn't match well with the car.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Anyone know what is different about those mufflers? My guess is the quad pipes means one is a bypass, like in our Mitsubishi - ie exhaust pressure reaches a certain point and a valve opens, sending it straight through or something like that. Or is it basically just a finish piece, where there is only one outlet on the muffler? If so a muffler shop may be able to do something more appealing with that.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The xsp are standard borla mufflers with quad tips. No variable exhaust system or anything like that. You can definitely modify more at a muffler shop.

·
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #118 (Edited)
Regarding the exhaust system for the 2GR-FE V6, if you guys do it right, it can sound close to the new Evora 400. If I was not getting married next month, I would of totally done a custom exhaust system for my camry.

Same engine, just better engineering. Lotus also changed the supercharger from Eaton to Edelbrock. Hopefully, someone will have the interest in hitting up Edelbrock to see if they can fabricate one for the Camry with a good tuning software/mapping system?

·
straight cash homie
18,941 Posts
Regarding the exhaust system for the 2GR-FE V6, if you guys do it right, it can sound close to the new Evora 400. If I was not getting married next month, I would of totally done a custom exhaust system for my camry.
Congrats! Will you be giving your bride to be your Camry? :laugh:

·
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Congrats! Will you be giving your bride to be your Camry? :laugh:
Haha, I wish I could but she loves her Prius more and she's been talking about getting the Prius V once we have a kid. There's no escaping from the Prius for her.

101 - 120 of 293 Posts