Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '90 has been getting a filmy dust on the inside of the windows, most notably the front and back windshields. I can get it off with Windex, but it comes back in a matter of weeks.

I haven't noticed a difference when using the A/C or the windows.

My stepdad thought it might be a leak in the heater core (I think that's what he called it), but I have no idea what that would mean, how to tell, etc.

Before I take it in next month, can anyone offer any ideas about what it might be?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Windex leaves a residue on windows. Try using some other non-ammonia based product. Either Armor Alll Window wipes or Invisible Glass should help.

·
Registered
1993 Camry LE
172 Posts
I get something similar, almost like a haze, on the driver's side windshield. On no other glass does this happen on. I notice it about a week after cleaning the glass with windshield cleaner. I usually just get a napkin and wipe it down and that resolves it until the next cleaning session. I think it might be residue from the previous owners mistakes but, once again, I haven't had time no clean with glass with anything like rubbing alcohol.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
My front windshield gets a film on it not too long after I clean it. It is a pain when the sun shines in cause it makes it hard to see. No idea what it is! :mad:

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Scrub wtih a damp newspaper, then wipe to dry.
Substitute an old microfiber cloth if you want for newspaper.

Invisible glass works, same for lemon based cleaners, but why would you buy that when water is free?

·
Pimpin' In Paradise.
2000 Toyota Camry
339 Posts
Brujo said:
I get something similar, almost like a haze, on the driver's side windshield. On no other glass does this happen on. I notice it about a week after cleaning the glass with windshield cleaner. I usually just get a napkin and wipe it down and that resolves it until the next cleaning session. I think it might be residue from the previous owners mistakes but, once again, I haven't had time no clean with glass with anything like rubbing alcohol.
You guys clean your interior glass? What a concept!

/never cleans interior glass.

·
Registered
40 Posts
cigarette smoke will cause that, my g/f has a 94 cam and you can hardly see through the windshield, i hate driving her car, especially at night... other than that, i have no idea

·
Registered
346 Posts
i got tree sap on my window its a bitch to take off even if i use bug and tar remover(usable on glass). nd i have scrubed it with the strongest window cleaner my dad got(needs to mix with severel oz with water).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heh, what a funny bunch of replies.

So I had tried Windex, true, but the problem was that it gets worse soon after. And it's not just dust or residue, but a filmy, shiny whatever-it-is.

So, I don't know what's causing it, which is what I was asking. Seems ASG14 is the only one who understands... ;)

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
I do, I am just wondering if it is something coming through the vents when the defroster is on????? :confused: Cause there is almost no smoking in my car (like once a month). It has to be something coming through the defroster vents!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ASG14 said:
I do, I am just wondering if it is something coming through the vents when the defroster is on?????
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I get the same thing on my interior glass. I figured it was just the gasses/smell/whatever from the new rubber floor mats and steering wheel cover.

Wiping it down with just water only smears it around. I have to use a cleaner to get rid of it, and it comes back in a week or two. I'd like to know what it is, since it makes seeing at night more difficult than it alread is with the Gen2's headlights.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I purchased Invisible Glass from PepBoys. Best decision ever. Invisible Glass gets rid of any residual buildup on the glass. It might take two or three times to clean the stuff but then you have perfectly clean and clear glass. When the stuff is cleaned off the glass, the glass leaves nothing on the window. It's so clean in fact that the paper towels I use do not move across the glass when I try to wipe the cleaned area. Windex and other ammonia based cleaners leave a thin flimy residue that builds up over time. But Invisible Glass is amazing. It even gets rid of any sticker adhesive or other crap you might have on the window. Just let it soak into the stuff first. Try it out.

·
Registered
4runner
682 Posts
I know what you mean about the flim. My car has the same problem. If I remember right from my automotive teacher he said that the flim could be to a leak in the heater core or something similar to that. That's if I remember correctly.

·
Pimpin' In Paradise.
2000 Toyota Camry
339 Posts
I was making fun before, but yesterday when I was driving home, I ran my finger across my driver's side interior window and noticed that it smeared. There's some kind of icky film on the window but it doesn't obstruct my vision any. What the hell is it? Women aren't allowed to flail their feet up against the windows anymore :naughty:, so I have no idea what caused it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Andrewski[/i] [B]My stepdad thought it might be a leak in the heater core.[/B][/QUOTE][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wormhole said:
If I remember right from my automotive teacher he said that the flim could be to a leak in the heater core or something similar to that.
:lol:
And so this ambling thread comes full-circle.... Guess that's what I'll have my mechanic check out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts