Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to doing things to cars, so I thought I would start small. I was trying to remove the air filter cover from my '91 MR2 but was having some problems. So I disconnected the hose leading to the engine. But there was plug on the top that was not letting the cover move. So I unscrewed it and pulled it out. (I believe this is the plug that goes into the Potentiometer above the air filter) As I pulled it out I failed to notice that plugged in on the inside were three other plugs. I pulled it out completely and now do not know how to plug the three plugs before pluging the whole unit back in.

Anyone know what I am talking about? I sure as hell don't. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks
Javier Martinez

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
AFM (air flow meter).

Theres a black plastic cover on top of it thats sealed. Cut around the sealant and pry the cover off. You'll then see the guts of the AFM.

You can try to align the contacts on the plug backup and see what happens. If it doesn't work you'll need to get another AFM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AFM (air flow meter)

How do I seal the cover back on once I have removed and plugged everything in?

By the way thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I have been reading I am pretty much SOL with my AFM. I do not know what it looked like in the inside originally. Does anyone have a skimatic or picture.

I may end up having to buy a new one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reconnected the AFM the way I believe it would go. I drove the car around, I successfully punched it and felt the turbo boost. No, sputters, coughs or anything, just clean acceleration. Even the meter in the dash goes up and down like normal.

How do I know if it is broken? What does and AFM do? I read one post saying that when the person did the same as I, their car would not even start...

Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts