Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got the 2013 Camry SE, I regretted not getting the backup camera. On my daughter's 2014 Corolla LE, it was standard feature. But to my surprise, 2013 Camry already had the necessary adapter pre-wired inside the center console, and there were after market cameras.

So I ordered this one for $125 (free shipping): http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Integrated-Backup-2012-2014-Factory/dp/B00KLSX3ZK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I also ordered this prying tools for $5:
http://www.amazon.com/Leegoal-Panel-Dashboard-Dismantle-Installer/dp/B00D7XNQHG/ref=pd_sim_422_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Is-kIBVnL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0X56YKEMVT01NQWWKGYF

I watched several YouTube videos to study what to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHoLcR3WR3E
http://vimeo.com/39967790
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7219713458/ (only to 1:20 mark)

And finally today, I got it installed in 1.5 hours. Actual work is probably only 30 to 40 minutes, but since this was first time it took perhaps 2 to 3 times longer because I had to go back and forth on video to make sure that I'm doing it correctly.

I would say, 60% of time was spent on running the wire from trunk, to left rear back seat, under the door floor panel, under the dashboard, and eventually into the center console. Wiring was tedious but not difficult.

Then, I spent 20% of time, disassembling couple of panels in trunk door, and attaching the camera. And final 20% of time was spent on taking apart center console and wiring everything.

Note that, under the center console, 2012 and up Camrys already provide an open socket where you can snap in the camera wire. And it magically knows when the gear is in reverse and displays on the standard radio screen. Yes, I displayed it right on the screen that came with the car and didn't have to buy another one.

My wife just got her driver's license and this safety feature really gave both us confidence for her safer driving. Personally, I could do without it, but I must say it really provides extra set of eyes to the area that you can't see.
Particularly when I back out of my long driveway onto the sidewalk or in busy parking with little kids. I always worried not seeing that little kid back there.

If there is a way to install blind spot (right side) camera for Camry, like they have on new Honda Accords, I would also want to install that.

Just thought I share this experience, in case, some of you were wondering about an aftermarket backup camera availability.

·
Honda-Tech White Ops
1,581 Posts
nice, If i needed a backup cam i would be all over this

·
Registered
14 Posts
update

Nice information. I'm now (June 2016) thinking of installing the same backup camera. Are you satisfied with it? Any reservations about drilling the hole for the camera?

Thanks for any feedback.

Tom C

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice information. I'm now (June 2016) thinking of installing the same backup camera. Are you satisfied with it? Any reservations about drilling the hole for the camera?

Thanks for any feedback.

Tom C
I have the same one and the price has dropped nearly $50 since May 2015. Still works fine. Drilling the hole is easy.

·
8,516 Posts
That's awesome that it was integrated like that. I had one in my 09 that I put in and hooked up to my pioneer but it died and I haven't put another one in yet. Little kids being backed over is why it is a government mandate now. How is the Camry holding up? I would guess trouble free with awesome comfort and milage :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you're asking about my Camry's (2013 and 1998); they're great. The 2013 is an SE and we are very happy to have it. The 1998 is one of the first made in this country and there have been some cosmetic issues; but basically it is the same car except the 2013 had more modern technology inside. Looking around the interior it is a Camry; in other words the size and shape of the interior hasn't changed that I can see. The focus is on keeping the car the same but improving the technology as it gets better.

My mechanic has always said if you can't get something like 250,000 miles on a Camry something is wrong with you. So far the 98 only has about 130,000 and the 2013 just over 50,000 miles. Looks like we're good for a while.

Regards,

Tom C

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you have any paint chipping on your backup camera? I've got the same PYvideo camera and most of the paint has chipped off. Looking pretty rough, but still functions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same camera and after going through a drive through car wash, a bit of water entered the camera and kept fogging up the lens so you couldn't see anything, and a few days later it just died. Got a replacement and paid again to have it reinstalled and remove the dud camera. Avoided automated car washes for a while and hand washed my car, but drove through one recently and it started fogging up again, although this time it cleared up and works fine. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts
I got the PIONEER ND-BC8 Universal Rearview Camera a year ago.....works great, though no guide-lines.
Lots of rain here in FLA, but no experience with car washes, sorry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well,mine stopped working.

I have had it through car washes without a problem. But, one day it just stopped and it hadn't been through a car wash recently.

I have yet to check the wireing; I'm hoping it will be something simple like that.

Tom C

PS That is, if it is simple.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts