Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my tc about 8 days ago and I just put 2 12 inch mtx subs in with a mono mtx amp and it was really simple. It was nice how easily the head unit area came out and the factory pioneer cd player still puts out great bass with the subs. I just hooked up an rca converter spliced into the rear speaker wires and it sounds great, no rattling or anything. Also the headlights don't dim at all. the panels in the front pull right out with no screws and then there are 4 screws to get the head unit out. The panels on the driver's side come out very easily as well and there is a wire bracket there to run the power wire etc. The only problem i had was that I had the inside corner panel laying in my friends yard and his dad ran it over with his truck, 38 dollars to replace. lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Take out HU?

Hi I will be doing the same setup as yours too... why did you have to take out the HU? Was it so that you can run the remote to the amp?

Since I don't really want to replace my HU when its brand new, unless someone wants to buy it (which I hight doubt).

Do you have any pictures you can post or send me? Just wanted to see how it looks like.

Thanks
Philip

[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The easiest way to splice in the rca converter and to connect the remote wire was to take out the hu simply so I could get to the wires much much easier, only 4 screws hold the head unit up so i just took those out and i really rigged it cuz i was in a hurry but i just took a razor blade and spliced them in, ONE THING THAT YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW IN ORDER TO PUT A CONVERTER IN IS WHICH COLORED WIRES ARE THE REAR SPEAKERS AND WHICH IS THE REMOTE, FOLLOW THIS, i got it from the toyota schematic, it took me a while to find out,

REAR LEFT SPEAKER
Positive = Brown
Negative = Yellow

REAR RIGHT SPEAKER
Positive = Red
Negative = White

ABOVE WIRES ARE IN LEFT SIDE PLUG

REMOTE WIRE = Silver-------->IN RIGHT SIDE PLUG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah and I thought the installation was easy even thought I had to figure that out on my own, You should fly through installation with that information.

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
Wow, your headlights don't dim? How much is your amp rated for?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 420 mtx, I am not sure how much wattage it is putting out but it really hits.... I think around 600-800 watts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sub installation

Hey,

I just took out my HU yesterday to install my sub in the same manner that you did and found that my wire harness is different. I have different colored wiring and where you say the remote wire is, is different on my vehicle. Which stereo did you have installed on your tC? Maybe it is different if you get the optional HU's. Just wondering. My remote wire is on the left side harness on the bottom of it when you are looking at the dash from inside the car. It would be the harness closest to the steering wheel. I think that the color of it was green instead of silver also. Not sure why, but just wondering which HU you have. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have the regular single disc pioneer cd player, and I'm assuming that you don't have the same head unit???? I do know that the remote wire is silver on mine and it is on the ride side plug.... reply back and let me know.

One thing I forgot to say earlier is that to get behind the plastic cover and everything you have to pull the bottom plastic part off first surrounding the shifter, then you pull the top part straight out... then disconnect the air conditioner of course and you are inside....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey,

I also have the factory deck with a single disc player. That is odd. Over my lunch hour I bought a continuity tester and cofirmed that my remote wire is on the left side plug. I am not sure why they would be different. Makes not sense to me, but they are.

·
Registered
35 Posts
HU Wire harness

Hey,

I installed my stuff last night. The wire colors that you stated were correct for my radio. The only thing that was not correct was the plugs that the wires were located in. The speaker wires were located in the right side plug, the smaller of the two, and there were just those 4 wires and one other that I am not sure what it was. The remote wire was in the left side plug, the larger of the two, right next to the constant power wire. I am not sure if we are confused as to what side left and right is or if I am misunderstanding you when you locate them, but the wire colors to match. I had to ask a friend to verify since I am color blind, but he did say that they matched your colors that you got from the dealer. At an rate, my sub is in and it sounds good. Everything is well and it works fine.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
mikejordan17 said:
I have a 420 mtx, I am not sure how much wattage it is putting out but it really hits.... I think around 600-800 watts
actually you amp max rated power is only 420 @ 2ohms and 210 @ 4ohms

that might explain why your headlights are not dimming.

try wiring your subs like this that way you get the most out of them:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you saying that each of my subs is only taking about 110 watts right now???

You are suggesting that I bridge my amp??? I can't remember how to do that, your picture shows only one positive and negative on the amp, I have two positives and negatives on my amp, so what do I need to do to get the most bass??? Run both wires from only one set????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wiring To Drop Ohm

mikejordan17 said:
Are you saying that each of my subs is only taking about 110 watts right now???

You are suggesting that I bridge my amp??? I can't remember how to do that, your picture shows only one positive and negative on the amp, I have two positives and negatives on my amp, so what do I need to do to get the most bass??? Run both wires from only one set????

Well, if I am correct your amp is a mono amp... bridging is usually for two & multichannel amps.

What he is saying is that if you wire your subs in parallel you'll drop it from a 4ohm to a 2ohm load. So you'll get more power to each sub (less resistance).

Assuming your subs are single voice coil (SVC) 4ohm each.

His diagram is correct, think of it as connecting the dots... 1 wire from A to B, and other from B to C.

AMP (+) -------- Sub1 (+) -------- Sub2 (+)
AMP (-) --------- Sub1 (-) ---------- Sub2 (-)

If your subs are 2ohms then just hook it up like you normaly would.

AMP (+) ----- Sub1 (+)
AMP (-) ----- Sub1 (-)
AMP (+) ----- Sub2 (+)
AMP (-) ----- Sub2 (-)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mikejordan,

All you need to do is connect each positive from each speaker to one another. Then do the same with the negatives. Then, look at your amp and see if it has a recommendation for a bridged connection. It will usually list positive and negative for two seperate subs on either the top or the bottom of the terminal and then on the opposite side it will have a recommended location for the positive wire and negative wire if you are bridging it. It is usually one positive on one side of the amp and then the negative on the other side of the amp. Hope that this makes sense. If not I can draw out a diagram for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, on the amp there are 2 positives and 2 negatives... so I might be stupid about this subject. As of now I have 4 ohm subs and I have one positive terminal connected to the positive on the sub and another positive terminal connected to the other positive on the sub and negatives the same way.....

Are you telling me not to use both terminals?? A diagram showing 2 positives and negatives on the amp would prob help me, this is my first time dealing with a mono amp.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is somewhat correct. You will use them both, but only one terminal on each side. Use the positive terminal on one side and the negative terminal on the other side. There should be a manual with your amp about how to wire it this way also. See if there is one. If not look at your amp and see if it shows a positive marked for bridged input. It would show you which positive to use on one side and then the negative to use on the other side of the amp. Hopefully this helps. Later

1 - 19 of 19 Posts