Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering just how difficult and expensive it is to install a locker on an '01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5. Has anyone here done it on a similar model? My model unfortunately isnt one that came with it, but I have the little slot next to the display dimmer where it would go, so there is a place for the switch to mount I suppose. Any ideas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
i would do it your self it is not that hard and saves alot of money like prolly 300-350 dolars saved maybe i dunno. your just talkin about the third member right?

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
The ring and pinion need to be setup properly after replacing the carrier. I'd call around, prices can vary greatly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you're talking about swapping in a Toyota electric locker, it isn't a simple third-member swap. The whole rear axle needs to be swapped. Your unlocked Tacoma has an 8.4" ring gear, all the electric lockers use an 8" (the same as has been used since '79). You cannot simply bolt up the 8" third member to the 8.4" housing. Best bet would be to search the junkyards and look for a complete axle w/locker and then swap it in. Then you have the wiring issues to deal with, which may or may not be a simple plug in affair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts