Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'll be getting my head unit next week...its a single DIN pioneer P5650MP...my gen 5 has a double DIN head unit...

anyone know whats inside the gen5 dash? does anyone have guides about installing aftermarket head units in gen 5s?

well i just want to know how to remove everything and what to expect...i'm a n00b...

firstly to remove everything should be easy...except what do i remove and in what steps?

okay before taking the wires out of the head unit i would be marking each wire so i know which is which?

then i disconnect the stock unit and make the brackets for a single DIN?

then test the wires with a voltmeter, etc and connect them...and secure the HU in...

is it that simple?

can some one give me a guide...my friend will be doing most of the installation but i still need a printout of instructions unless the electronics of my car is different...

thanks for any help

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Buy a wiring harness from any car audio store. Follow instrustion there to connect harness to your new deck. This way you don't need to mark and cut any wire, the deck just plug in. The stock plug may look different then the harness you buy. Don't panic. Follow the wires and you'll find another connection. Disconnect it and that plug should fit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do i take out everything then? how do i take the plasic cover off?

would i be able to do it myself?

i'm not professional but i do have common sense and ability to work things out...
:rolleyes:

does anyone have pics of the wiring process? i want to see what it looks like

and what about the brackets to hold the single DIN in my double DIN?
do double din brackets come with the HU already? or do i need to buy my own?

·
Registered
163 Posts
i changed out my head unit on my 04. its fairly easy, well at least for the one with the JBL system. you have to remove the climate controls below the head unit (it just pulls out and then you disconnect the electrical connectors) then you pull out the plastic piece around the head unit and then there are 4 bolts holding the head unit on.
as far as everything else, i found an adapter piece to go around the new deck so that way there wasnt a big hole in my dash from going to a cd/cassete player to just a cd player (found it a circuit city, just specify that you need it for a newer camry cause the idiots gave me the one for the highlander and said it would work, but it didnt). they also had an adapter to plug in from your cars wires and then into the head units harness. the good thing about the jbl system is that you can bypass the jbl amp when installing an aftermarket deck so you dont have to worry about ruining anything.
by the way, if you get the adapter (i recomend you do) it doesnt plug into the harness that went into the old head unit. if you look down below the head unit there will be 2 sets of connectors that will plug into your aftermarket harness. what you plug into goes to the speakers and the power wires and the others go to the amp and then back up to plug into the head unit (the old one) so it makes it easy to bypass the amp and you dont have to rewire anything.
sorry if this is confusing but i hope it helps

·
Registered
884 Posts
^Follow his instructions it should work great....!

I need a new faceplate I don't think mine was made right. I got it when this car was still very new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts