Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am interested in installing the Magnefine inline transmission filter ( https://magnefinefilters.com/Magnefine-Performance-Edition-Transmission-Power-Steering-Filter-P038M.htm )
in my 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited 4WD U151F.

Because I only bought this Toyota less than two months ago, I am not that familiar with its parts or how it looks underneath when hoisted. Can someone please provide advice about what hoses and clamps (size being 3/8" or 5/16" and material being hose or steel line) should I buy to correctly install this inline transmission filter on the return line from the radiator to transmission so that there won't be risk of leaks.

Thank you very much for your time and kind advice. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,143 Posts
I can't help you with your installation questions besides recommending putting it in a metal line if at all possible using the correct AN fittings vs in a hose with clamps. But I was wondering why you decided to add the filter to a used 7 year old vehicle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello

Thank you to everyone who gives a reply.

I was lucky enough to find and buy a 2013 Highlander with very low mileage at 32,000km or 20,000 miles only.

So I want to do everything that I can to ensure the transmission especially the solenoids inside will work properly and last to at least 125,000 miles (without getting clogged prematurely by wear shavings/particles necessitating a rebuild with new solenoids installed in the valve body).

For some reason, some 2006 to 2008 Sienna owners report on carcomplaints.com of the same U151 E/F 5-speed transmission (in common with Highlander) failing before 100,000 miles. Don’t know of how much towing they did without a cooler or how often they changed the ATF

In addition to my plan of doing three rounds of fresh Toyota WS ATF drains and fills later this year as I approach 25,000 miles, the inline transmission filter also seems like a good way to keep the fluid clean of wear shavings/particles in between fluid changes. After my initial three rounds, my plan is to do one round every 15,000 miles thereafter

I feel pretty confident that my fluid will be very clean and that my solenoids will not clog up prematurely if I can follow through with being as caring as I plan on

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Skip the metal lines and AN fittings.

3/8" Magnefine is a simple splice and dice affair with either ATF cooler hose. Dont use generic worm hose clamps. Use constant tension OE hose clamps. And, dont let the magnefine dangle. You need to secure it with a diy bracket. Too many let it dangle in the air. Mount it like a fuel filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Greasymechtech

Thank you very much for giving advice. You from your many posts help make this forum the great place to come to for useful and trustworthy information

·
2012 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER SE
2012 Highlander
239 Posts
Skip the metal lines and AN fittings.

3/8" Magnefine is a simple splice and dice affair with either ATF cooler hose. Dont use generic worm hose clamps. Use constant tension OE hose clamps. And, dont let the magnefine dangle. You need to secure it with a diy bracket. Too many let it dangle in the air. Mount it like a fuel filter.
Greasymechtech, so if you only have ATF hoses going into the Radiator you can use either one.
If yes what is the ATF fluid flow direction in either of the hoses for proper Magnefine filter flow direction orientation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello Greasymechtech,

I searched through Amazon, Ebay and Google for constant tension clamps. I am hoping that you could please provide some comments on some of my searches.

On Amazon (link: Amazon.com: Clipsandfasteners Inc 10 Constant Tension Band Hose Clamps 5/8" - 23/32": Automotive ), would these be good?

On Ebay (link: Mopar. OEM 5/8" Heater Hose Clamps Constant-tension Dodge Chrysler Plymouth 440 | eBay ), would these be too big?

Would this search result from google, I found (link: 360º Hose Clamp for Transmission/Oil Cooler 3/8 Hose (use with TRC-625) - AGS Company ) be good?

thank you very much for your time and experience

·
Registered
2,798 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts