Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Camry LE and I am planning on completely redoing the sound system in there. I already got a new Kenwood head unit, and am planning on getting a set of Kenwood 1687s and 6908s to replace the stock speakers. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get to the old speakers? Do I have to open the door for the fronts? Im not sure how to go about this, I used to own an 87 Camry LE and I had the speakers professionally replaced at Circuit City buy I dont want to shell out $80 for it again. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks. =D

·
Registered
23 Posts
you have to take off the front door panals, its actually really easy, the back 6X9's are a bitch, you have to take out the back seat then carfully remove the dash, the back is a little project, not that hard though, I did it all myself and it was pretty easy, also be careful with the head unit, the plastic part wants to break when you take it off

On 2001-10-09 14:49, IPHDTD wrote:
I have a 97 Camry LE and I am planning on completely redoing the sound system in there. I already got a new Kenwood head unit, and am planning on getting a set of Kenwood 1687s and 6908s to replace the stock speakers. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get to the old speakers? Do I have to open the door for the fronts? Im not sure how to go about this, I used to own an 87 Camry LE and I had the speakers professionally replaced at Circuit City buy I dont want to shell out $80 for it again. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks. =D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where are the fasteners located for the plastic piece on the dash? should i just pry it off with a screwdriver or is there a better way to take it apart? I was looking at the piece and it does look a little weak, would i be better off just taking it somewhere? i just dont want to crack my dash apart and accidentally break the piece when i can get it done for cheaper than the replacement piece would cost :smile:

·
Registered
206 Posts
CONSOLE: ya, i broke my console plastic once when going in to look at my A/C unit. I broke it in another place when I dropped my New Jersey turnpike ticket between my deck and the pocket! To remove it, take out the ash tray and carefully pry the sides off there. The flimsy part for me was up at the top because the vinyl trim held it in place really tightly. You might want to try and push back the vinyl as much as possible first.

as for the speakers, you'll have to actually drill new holes or make a mounting plate because the OE mounting is non-standard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts