Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my HID heads & fogs from slimcubbys group buy and wanted some info on installing them....each set had some blade connectors from them thats a black wire & a red wire, the fogs connectors like that are smaller & longer, but where do both these connectors go on each kit?

·
Registered
984 Posts
So you just push those in the plug? I wonder why they come with prongs instead of a matching plug. I don't feel so secure just having wedged in there rather than clicked in with a plug.

·
Membership canceled
307 Posts
So you just push those in the plug? I wonder why they come with prongs instead of a matching plug. I don't feel so secure just having wedged in there rather than clicked in with a plug.
yea just push them in... All the kits Ive bought in the past several years never came with a matching plug.. all of them were metal prongs...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Just figure out which one of the slots is the high and low beams and make sure you put the red wire into the lows. If you got bi-xenons you'll use all three slots on the factory plug. Might take a couple tries to find the right one if you don't know what you're doing or don't have a voltmeter to test it. After you're done, just wrap the hole connector and wires in electrical tape to shield the connections from the elements. Mine have been like this for 3 years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The ballast is only needed for HIDs. In the OEM configuration, power is applied across the filament in the halogen bulb, which gives you light. In an HID bulb, there is no filament, the bulb is filled with xenon gas. The ballast is needed to ignite the gas using a very high voltage that the stock wiring does not provide. It surprises me that you got HIDs and don't know why they have a ballast and the stock lights do not...

·
Registered
984 Posts
The ballast is only needed for HIDs. In the OEM configuration, power is applied across the filament in the halogen bulb, which gives you light. In an HID bulb, there is no filament, the bulb is filled with xenon gas. The ballast is needed to ignite the gas using a very high voltage that the stock wiring does not provide. It surprises me that you got HIDs and don't know why they have a ballast and the stock lights do not...
It surprises me you have a totally erroneous answer to my question. I am fully aware HIDS have a ballast while the OEM bulb does not. What I am saying is. The new HID bulbs have 4 wires. 2 go to the ballast that use nice plugs while there are 2 more wires that have just have spade connectors. These apparently plug into the OEM power plug. My question was if they do in fact plug in the OEM power plug, what is the need for the ballast since the power is skipping the ballast.
Basically the ballast plugs into the new bulb using 2 plug connectors and there are still 2 wires that go from the bulb to the OEM plug. How can the bulb get the power before being filtered through the ballast.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I don't think my answer was totally erroneous to your question. I answered the question the way you asked it. Now that you've posted more details, I can give you the answer you're looking for. The ballast needs to get a signal from the OEM plug to tell it to turn on. The power that's being fed from the OEM plug is going through the harness in the bulb and into the ballast, telling it to ignite the HID bulb whenever you turn your headlights on. The power from the OEM plug is never actually powering the HID bulb, unless you have bi-xenons that are using a halogen high beam.

·
Registered
984 Posts
sorry didn't mean to sound rude, but I kinda did. Thanks for the input. Now I imagine this is just the way the H10s are right? Because I had a McCulloch H4 kit for my old taco and it only had 2 wires from the bulb that plugged into the ballast and the OEM plug plugged into the ballast as well. It came with a plug to push the spade connectors into. It was a very high quality kit, I guess. Are SlimCubbys H4s the same way? I am just not crazy know that the spades can fall out at any time because there is nothign securing them. Not to mention maybe moisture as well.

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
i bought my HIDs from him too. they are completely plug and play (assuming they're the same ones I have). if something doesn't connect properly/smoothly, it doesn't go there

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys...i guess i will try a shot at them tonight or tommrow...put the spade connectors in the oem headlight plug, and just wrap it in eletrical tape to help secure them

also, where are u all mounting ur ballast for the fogs? i wanna make there really good and secure so they dont vibrate loose

·
Registered
'12 Ram 1500 HEMI
1,138 Posts
It was a very high quality kit, I guess.
....now that is just funny...PNPs VERY high quality....

back to the OP...not sure exactly how your kit is wired up but...you need wire that go from the stock plug to the INPUT of the ballast. not sure exactly how those kits are, but if you have highs on them as well, you might also have another wire that plugs into the hot high wire...

the fogs should be easy, a wire that goes from the oem fog plug to the ballast, then a wire from the ballast to the bulb.

those connections from the oem plug to the ballast are trigger wires, it signals to turn the ballast on. hope that helps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i hope it all goes well....iam just gonna tape the crap out of the connectors that i stick into the oem light plug to make sure no water gets in them, especially the fogs...

·
Registered
984 Posts
....now that is just funny...PNPs VERY high quality....

back to the OP...not sure exactly how your kit is wired up but...you need wire that go from the stock plug to the INPUT of the ballast. not sure exactly how those kits are, but if you have highs on them as well, you might also have another wire that plugs into the hot high wire...

the fogs should be easy, a wire that goes from the oem fog plug to the ballast, then a wire from the ballast to the bulb.

those connections from the oem plug to the ballast are trigger wires, it signals to turn the ballast on. hope that helps.
Oh I see now. I didn't take the kit apart out of the box and I assumed the spade connectors were hardwired to the bulb itself. Based on my pic that I took it looks just like a wire extention, why though does it not have a connector on both ends. It needs to be male to female. Can you just plug the OEM connector to the ballast without using the spade connectors? Is the plug the same to fit into the ballast from the OEM connection. Is it long enough to reach?

Here is the pic I took so everyone has a clearer picture of what I am talking about:

The wires on the right are the ones I was referring to. What the heck is that spade wire for? why can't you just plug your OEM plug directly to the ballast. It looks like a cheesy extention cable, but if I needed an extension I would rather solder a female end to the end of that wire

·
Registered
766 Posts
That looks to me like you can just eliminate the wires with the spades on them and just plug the connector on the other end coming out of the ballast right into your stock fog light wiring. Only one way to find out...take it out and try it. Just plug the connector coming out of the ballast into your stock wiring and turn it on. If it works, then you don't need that "extension" or whatever that extra wiring is for.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts