Toyota Nation Forum banner

Installing the LED tail lights

28690 Views 68 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  edmontontoy
I installed my smoked LED tail lights today. I took some pics during the install. Hopefully it will give you a few tips for your install. I partially removed the bumper. I don't think it is necessary to completely remove it. I didn't have any issues removing or installing the lights this way.

I started by taping off the seam between the rear quarter and the bumper cover. You don't want to scratch your paint while the cover is loose. I learned this lesson when I removed my front bumper!

You will need to remove the four screws that hold the bumper cover on. Two of them are in the wheel wells just behind the rear wheel on the backside of the seem where the cover and quarter meet. It can be accessed through a cutout in the wheel well liner.

The other two screws are behind covers. They can be accessed by opening the trunk and removing the small circular covers on each side.

The covers are captive so you don't loose them.

If you want to completely remove the cover you will need to undo the two clips underneath the rear of the car. I left them in place but this is what they look like.

Then you need to grab the leading edge of the bumper cover in the wheel well and pull straight out. You need to do this along the edge of the bumper until you get past the tail lights. Here are the tabs you are popping out.

Here are a couple of pics showing the tab that makes it very difficult to remove the lights without lowering/removing the bumper cover.

Here's a shot of the rear view with the cover lowered.

The outer lights are held in with three nuts. Remove the bulbs before trying to take the lights out. Don't drop the nuts or you will be fishing for them.

The inner lights are held on with three nuts and a weird white clip in the lower corner. I just pushed the clip while pushing on the lights and it popped out. One of them seems to be broken so be careful. I believe you can order the clips. I will update with a part number when I find out.

Here's a shot comparing the old and new.

What's missing?

Here they are with the hazard and parking lights on.

It took about an hour and it was pretty easy. Don't be afraid to do this one on your own. If you have any questions or if I left something out just PM me.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
damn 1 hour? Took me 4 hours. The fitment wasnt as good and I had to shave down some plastic. Does the side of the LED tails stick out?

When you find out the plastic clips let me know. The part number that njerald had was 81496-33020 (product on the left). I need the one on the right that holds the left one

I couldnt get it off, so I broke it. Here is a pic of mine with the brakes pressed and car in reverse

· Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,128 Posts

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
I don't have the part Number but it may be this piece....

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...=2007&graphicID=8522757&callout=2&catalogid=2

Mine fit nice and tight with no adjusting necessary.
I'm going to hit up another dealership near my job and see if they have part number or know what im talking about. I'll be bringing the broken pieces with me. If I find out, I'll post it here.

As for the fitting, the white/gray plastic that leans against the trunk was pushing the light out. So I shaved the top and bottom a little. I'll take a pic of what I was talking about when I have a chance after work.

Without the white clips...the light still holds in place.

· 2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,567 Posts
Yeah, I didn't remove or lower the rear bumper cover, I just kinda broke that black clip at the bottom of the outer tailights off, didn't seem to be too necessary.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
OK, back from the parts and service department up the block from my job. I should of went to them from the beginning instead of the one near my house >=(

So after looking at the monitors and stuff. It seems that njerald was close to the part number (81496-33020). I believe the white plastic rivet part that you push in is 81496-33010 (GUIDE, RR COMBINA - $1.30 each). I ordered the parts along with the black nuts for the trunk (i stripped them since they were plastic).

I should have them tomorrow. I'll post pics up when I get them. Hopefully its the right ones.

· Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,128 Posts
OK, back from the parts and service department up the block from my job. I should of went to them from the beginning instead of the one near my house >=(

So after looking at the monitors and stuff. It seems that njerald was close to the part number (81496-33020). I believe the white plastic rivet part that you push in is 81496-33010 (GUIDE, RR COMBINA - $1.30 each). I ordered the parts along with the black nuts for the trunk (i stripped them since they were plastic).

I should have them tomorrow. I'll post pics up when I get them. Hopefully its the right ones.
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...522&catalogid=2&year=2007&make=34&model=Camry

· Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,128 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.