Toyota Nation Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
This is primarily a Gen 3 & 4 forum, but glad to know it was helpful for your Gen 5.

·
Registered
Camry, Vibe, Venture
577 Posts
Just replaced my expansion valve using this post. Very helpful, very appreciated. Thanks for the great write-up.
It would be helpful if you mention which model year and was it the I4 or V6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to walking dead this thread but some of us with older cars are still wrenching on them. I am in the process of replacing the expansion valve in my 91 Celica and except for some of the screws for the glove box, I have a completely different set up.

To start with all the plastic is white, not black. The unite is mounted sideways with a 2 part case that seems to separate at the bottom, although I have not been able to separate it yet. I'm having to work in the sun and I'm 6'4" so it's difficult to see and fit. I searched this site and others and I haven't seen a system like this yet. maybe it is from the 80's?

·
Administrator
14,716 Posts
Is there any way to recover the photos in this post?
Thanks, S.
Nope. And the OP hasn't logged in for about 18 months. They're the only person who could do it.

·
Registered
1999 Solara SLE, V6, 356,000 miles
240 Posts
Excellent post, tons of great info in here. wondering if this procedure be used on a 1999 Solara ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bustedstuff104,

The service manual says 48 INCH-pounds, not 48 FOOT pounds like Tedmich is writing !!!

You want it screw driver tight, not tightening something with a cheater bar !

You can judge how tight it should be when you untighten it with an allen wrench.

smr
They call it "German tight" as you tighten it by gauging it with your elbow as it pivots. My wife's 2004 Toyota Sienna I was fixing her a/c but found the second hex bolt seized I ended up cutting the expansion valve, but then it wouldn't budge! After 3 days I was forced to access the hood part as I was in a hurry while it is still hot in SoCal. Dang, The hose locks were tough it took me 2 hours just to remove and I am a seasoned DIYer! I finally separated the hoses(firewall) but only the low pressure hose gave way; the high pressure was resistant I couldn't pull it in under the passenger dashboard. For some stupid reasons I did not completely cut the expansion valve thinking it would easily bend but they sure are sturdy! I would have to finish it off tomorrow since I am already pissed. Doing DIY A/C flush, removal and installation is the proverbial PITA. What could be done in one day under ideal conditions could take you days if the minivan you are working has seized parts you want to kick it. Yeah it can be done, that is, removing the expansion valve without going under the hood and without even removing the blower motor assembly but it has qualifying conditions like bolts are not rusted and seized and it makes your work faster. And since my experience involved a 2nd Gen Sienna whose evaporator was enclosed, and I will probably be forced to remove the dashboard to access it by removing the screws in the middle of the housing, and I am not willing to do that anymore as I am cash strapped due to this pandemic, every documentation you show here should be vehicle specific as these models may be similar but not the same. Just my 2 cents on that, should you decide to do it yourself. It can be done. But you have to have the extra patience when there's a bump in your quest, and trust me it could be a domino effect, as you think you solved your issue, but by the time you finish you noticed something brewing on the other parts that will call you back soon.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts