Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been beaten to death but here we go...

are there any real dyno results or MPG resulted posted for the 4.0 with an intake and free flow muffler? I tried to search but didn't find any real dyno results.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I know there might be a couple dyno charts floating around. With both on, the performace gain is...well negligible. That's just my take on it. It's louder, but the butt-ometer isn't registering anything different. MPG seems to be improved a little. Maaaybe 1 mpg. Exhaust and intake, in my opinion, cost a lot for the performance and mpg they'll offer. I did it for sound and looks, that's it.

If you want performance gains, I'd say check out that psc1 spit second timing device made by urd. Pair that up with exhaust and intake and you might have noticeable gains in performace as well as mpg. This device gave the stock 4.0 engine 15 hp I think and considerably more if aftermarket part were put on.

K&N posts their dyno results just from their intake kit on the 4.0. Their gain was 10 hp. I have a hard time believing that.

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
if you have a failure on your truck while it is under warranty, the warranty will not be honored if that failure is caused by something that you altered on your truck. by law, the dealership has to prove your mod(s) caused the failure to deny warranty coverage. in actuality, you will have one hell of a fight on your hands if the dealership denies warranty coverage because you modded something that may or may not have caused the failure

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
With TRD exhaust installed I my mileage really didnt change except one area, interstate cruising. With the 6spd at 70 mph shes turning 2500 rpms, I gained an honest 1 mpg there. To offset that, I probably burn more around town to listen to it. Any HP gains are at higher rpms. I'm keeping the intake stock.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you're going to get an intake and a free flow muffler, I highly suggest getting a unit to tune your air/fuel ratios. URD's MAF calibrator or the Split Second PSC1 units will bring out the hidden potential these bolt ons give you

·
Registered
947 Posts
05tacoma said:
I am sure this has been beaten to death but here we go...

are there any real dyno results or MPG resulted posted for the 4.0 with an intake and free flow muffler? I tried to search but didn't find any real dyno results.
I have the TRD exhaust, didn't notice seat of pants improvement, but did on inside of ear. I love it. Just ordered the TRD CAI, so we'll see how the combo works out. If nothing less, it should open it up a little.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
I've installed the TRD CAI and TRD exhaust, and my MPG dropped. I average about 240 miles to the tank (4.0L with 6sp manual).
With that said, I rarely drive highways, so all city driving and with all the snow around town, I've been getting on it a lot practicing my drifting techniques. In other words, I'm not concerned out MPG's as much as I am about how it sounds when I romp on it at a green light or getting on the freeway. I love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts