Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
i was wondering what is the best aftermarket air intake available for a 98 4x4 3.4. my friend had a setup that looked like a k&n in his 92 4x4 3.0, but he said he was getting horrible gas mileage. so what i'm looking for is something with the best possible gas mileage and power gains. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, well if i wanted good mileage, what would be a good intake? and if i wanted more hp, what would be a good intake? o, i forgot to mention that i wanted to put a trd supercharger on eventually and i read somewhere that the stock oe filter was the best choice for intake. is this true?

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
Are you supposed to even run an SR or CAI with a supercharger (without WI)?

+1 for the deck plate mod. That's on my list, FWIW.

·
Registered
1992 xtra cab 4x4
356 Posts
could you explain the deckplate mod, or tell me where i could find info on it?
im being a bit overwhelmed by all of the things i can do to get more power out of the 3.4.... wasnt much i could change to do anything on the 22re besides replace it. :clap:

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
Its pretty simple. Pick up a deck plate from a marine store. Cut a hole in the front of your air box. Attatch deck plate to hole. Remove plate for air flow, install deck plate for off road or heavy rain. I am wondering what you are overwhelmed by? There aren't that many things you can do to actually make power from the 3.4. The SC is about it short of going inside the motor. The deck plate, headers, and full exaust will net a little on an NA motor, but not much.

·
Registered
1992 xtra cab 4x4
356 Posts
heh, well, there really wasnt anything short of replacing cams and everything to get even a small increase in hp from the 22re.

thanks for the help. do you just bolt it on, use zip ties, or how would you generally attach it?
i would imagine using bolts would be best.

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
Most people use a sensor safe gasket material. If you don't, you'll probably get a CEL because of the fumes. After cutting the hole, put a bead of the gasket material around the opening. Then, using screws, attach the deck plate. Obviously, you must cut the hole below the air filter. I think the deckplate is a 4".

·
Registered
1992 xtra cab 4x4
356 Posts
yeah, those are really the only things i found that were worth it, but my 92 was totaled, thats why im on this part of the forums now,...
im going to change that sig pretty soon with pics of the new truck :)

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
TcmaBoy said:
Its pretty simple. Pick up a deck plate from a marine store. Cut a hole in the front of your air box. Attatch deck plate to hole. Remove plate for air flow, install deck plate for off road or heavy rain. I am wondering what you are overwhelmed by? There aren't that many things you can do to actually make power from the 3.4. The SC is about it short of going inside the motor. The deck plate, headers, and full exaust will net a little on an NA motor, but not much.
you don't even need to buy a deck plate, and if you do its called a removeable port hole in most boat stores. just dremel the outside of the iar box, and use a amsoil filter. way better then a 200$ k&n waist, and will work nicely with your SC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts