Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Fury
Corolla S
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm thinking of purchasing a short ram intake system for my 1ZZ. Researching here and in different forums I've come to the conclusion that this will be the best mod for me. I did not choose a Cold air intake because here in florida with all the hurricanes and flooding we get each year is not very healthy for the motor. I dont want a fart can exhaust, Its not cool when your parked somewhere with a girl with the AC on having a good time in the car and all you hear is the exhaust purring I dont know but its anoying to me. Also I'm a working student and I dont race or mistreat my car I need it as a reliable transportation. This will sound kind of stupid, but will this mod kill my motor? The airbox is there for a reason other than restrict some airflow. I know the motor with the short ram will suck in hot air around it which brings another dumb question. Will the higher temperature of the air damage my MAF sensor? Last but not least, this higher temperature air will reach the intake manifold and enter the engine which brings my last dumb question of the day. Will the higher temperature air (been less dense at a higher temperature) enrich the fuel/Air mixture. Thanks gentleman. ;)

·
nismo_TRD = win
05' rolla
7 Posts
im about to do the same(buy a short ram intake), and i live in miami too, and im a student so i see where you're coming from with the racing thing, my poor rolla travels about 50 miles every day and i have the same question as you regarding the fact that with a short ram, the filter is gonna suck up all the hot air.:whatthe: . if anyone knows an answer it would be great to hear from you..and in my opinion, short ram isnt the way to go for the rolla, and even though we live in miami, cold air would be better

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Heres my intake system

Its neither a short ram or a cold air intake, but it does actually give the power that they claim :lol: I'm happy to recommend it to you others as well :D

This will sound kind of stupid, but will this mod kill my motor? The airbox is there for a reason other than restrict some airflow. I know the motor with the short ram will suck in hot air around it which brings another dumb question. Will the higher temperature of the air damage my MAF sensor? Last but not least, this higher temperature air will reach the intake manifold and enter the engine which brings my last dumb question of the day. Will the higher temperature air (been less dense at a higher temperature) enrich the fuel/Air mixture. Thanks gentleman.
Seriously though, heres the answer to your post.
Yes the airbox has another duty, the airbox sucks air from near the bumper, it also has a noise dampening system (similar to a muffler) to cancel out induction noise. No higher air temp wont damage the MAF, because its not that much higher in the enginebay, and it gets even cooler when you're at speed. My carbs in my NA setup took air from near the firewall and the performance was absolutely great. No the fuel / air mixture wont be enriched, the computer adjusts the mixture automatically.

·
2005 Corolla XRS
309 Posts
If you don't want a CAI I'd recomend just keeping your stock airbox. The SRI will be super noisy, and with not much power gain.

As far as heat soak, your car will be moving at 70mph or so, how long do you think that air will sit in your engine bay? It's gonna be moving. SRI will make power, just not as much as a cAI, and your mileage will go to hell.

I had a K&N dropin and a flowmaster exaust on my XRS and I was getting 38 mpg (up from 34 mpg stock). I got the Injen CAI and my mileage went down to 30-32 mpg on the freeway.

Intakes kill mileage.

·
The Fury
Corolla S
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sucks about the milage. Im getting pretty good milage now with the stock K%N drop in. I placed an order for the SRI. Il try it out and see what results i get. If the milage goes down teribly then il install my airbox back on. One more question. What about heat soak while idling for long periods of time. Thats what im mostly worried about. The 1ZZ dosen't run particularly hot from what I expect. Would this damage any induction system part of the engine?

·
2005 Corolla XRS
309 Posts
Definately not.

Think about it, you'd only be sucking in the air that your engine is normally surrounded by anyway.

·
2005 Corolla XRS
309 Posts
What kind of intake did you order? Different brands make different power.

And be sure to reset your ECU after you do the install. Do this by either pulling the fuse marked "EF1" in your engine bay fuse box, or unplug the battery for a few minutes. THen put everything back and start her up. The motor will die the first time you start it, don't worry. It'll fire up the second try. Let it idle a while while the ECU adjusts to all the new air it is getting, then take it for a spin!

·
The Fury
Corolla S
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I ordered a Bomz SRI. Hope its good. Thanks for the advice on the ECU reset. (this will prevent a CEL).

thttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BZ-98-99-00-01-02-TOYOTA-COROLLA-Type-S-VVTI-AIR-INTAKE_W0QQitemZ8025210827QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thinking about it i found many other SRI's on ebay for 9.99 + shipping (not much of a diff) and was tempted to buy them. They looked identical to the bomz, but researching people were saying "quality over quantity" SO i descided to go with the Bomz. I didint want to spend that much on it, but what the heck thats the one i got. Waiting for tuesday :)

·
2005 Corolla XRS
309 Posts
01FIERA said:
I ordered a Bomz SRI. Hope its good. Thanks for the advice on the ECU reset. (this will prevent a CEL).

thttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BZ-98-99-00-01-02-TOYOTA-COROLLA-Type-S-VVTI-AIR-INTAKE_W0QQitemZ8025210827QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thinking about it i found many other SRI's on ebay for 9.99 + shipping (not much of a diff) and was tempted to buy them. They looked identical to the bomz, but researching people were saying "quality over quantity" SO i descided to go with the Bomz. I didint want to spend that much on it, but what the heck thats the one i got. Waiting for tuesday :)
Resetting the ECU has nothing to do with an ECU, your motor just runs like crap if you don't do it. My theory is that most of the people who say that intakes don't affect performance just did not reset their ECU.

Good luck with your install, many people have problems with ebay non-name brand parts.

If you have trouble go to www. 9th gen corolla .com (no spaces) for help, lots of new corolla owners over there.

·
The Fury
Corolla S
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The intake Arrived yesturday. I grabbed my tools, popped the hood and took the airbox apart. I grab the intake tube and..... It dosent fit???? hmmm.... I try installing the MAF sensor and... it dosent fit either... hmmmm i look at the box it came in.... no instructions.... I look at the imprint in the box Toyota Corolla 98-02 1ZZFE Motors only hmmm. It is my motor this is the setup but its not compatible. There were mounting hardware missing. Dissapointed I installed my airbox again and drove off to work.

The moral of the story. If any of you are thinking of buying those 9.99 12.99 and 24.99 intakes in ebay. Please dont. For the most part they dont fit, they dont include anything but a tube a filter and a MAF adapter that dosent correspond to the vehicle. Its a scam. It claims to include everything and when you open the box You canr even find an instruction manual.

This is total bullshit. Im not even goin to bother sending it back they can shove the 23 dollars up theyr ass. GRR. I think i would have better been off with the electric supercharger :) or the tornado.... lol at least they come with instructions and mounting hardware ( or so they say)

Dissapointing.... Well The stock airbox will stay for ever.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
How was it not compatible, and you shouldnt need instructions to install something as easy as a intake to be honest.

·
The Fury
Corolla S
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tube was too long, Also MAF adapter was not compatible. (MAF did fit but the screw holes were misaligned. yes even if you flip it over also misaligned.) Installation would have not been a problem if everything would have been included. :ugh3:

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
dang that sucks dude. i was thinking about buying one myself. but to making a cai out of it >_<

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome to the world of modding. Nothing ever fits perfectly. Try doing headers on rwd cars

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Yeah, tho try doing a ramhorn manifold for an AE92 turbo, goddamnit its almost impossible ... might change mine to a log manifold, the ramhorn hits the radiator overflow hose :thumbdown

1 - 19 of 19 Posts