Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to know if there are any sensors that i hve to worry about when installing an intake on a 4afe. i also want to know what the wire coming out of the stock filter box is and what to do with it after i mount the new intake. it the sensor in the wire coming out of the box? or do i have to pull the sensor out of the box itself, stick it in the intake pipe, then re-attach the wire? oare there any other problems/issues i might encounter? thanx all for the info.

·
Registered
ae95 4x4 corolla
86 Posts
hey i asked this question a while back, apparently it just reads the intake temperature, so u could leave it somwhere near the intake and it would work fine... thats what i did and i've had no problems with it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
^That is correct. it's like a thermometer. I stuck Mine in the fender well lol.

·
Registered
86 Posts
isnt there a way to tamper with it so it makes more air be sucked in?? idk where i heard about this but some thing about if u re-wire it or something that it'll cause the engine to suck in more air...i could be completely off but i do remember hearing this somewhere

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
dont i need to attach the maf or afm or whatever it is? if so then where is it? if not than what are the extra wires and stuff for? can sum 1 tell me exactly what they did to install theirs?

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
im not sure about the 4afe but on the 4age.. i bought an adapter plate that Bolted to my AFM & from their you can either run it like that (Short Ram) or you can run piping for a (cold air) If you have an intake temp sensor or any additional wires in your air box, run a small pipe or cold air setup & mount the sensors in line after the filter

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sweet thanx all, so i jsut have to take off everything up to the intake manifold, strap on the new intake and stick the temp sensor into the hole, is that right?

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahhhh dammit! i just went to take a better look at it and theres a pipe/tube that goes from the center of the hose that goes between the filter and the manifold to the other side of the manifold and then a wire comez out of that. what's that for? i can try and get a picture of it but it's a bit hard to get under there...

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bah! oi don't know what to do w/ that tube and wire! can sum 1 pls tell me? i know there has to be someone that has done it before...

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
isnt there a way to tamper with it so it makes more air be sucked in
Uhm, only way to get more air sucked in is to add forced induction.

As for the sensor, it would be smart to put it into the intake pipe, having it wiggle around in the engine bay would give the ECU wrong readings as temps can be different in the enginebay and intake duct. When it reads wrong, your fueling isnt exactly what its supposed to be and this can affect engine running and mileage.

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
the pictures are below, in the first and second pic the tube is circled in red coming out of the pipe that goes from the manifoild to the filter, in the third, is the small pipe going underneath the manifold to the other side (red arrow), in the last is the thing that is on the wire coming out of the small tube in the second picture (circled in red), i don't know what to do with that damn tube!

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
anyone know what that tube it and what i should do with it?

·
4AFESPEED
93 Geo Prizm
269 Posts
Sounds like you want to make a custom cold air intake. The car will run ok without the sensor, but it reads the air intake temperature, and if its there from the factory, put it back in. My intake tube had a bung for a vaccum line, i put a piece of fuel line on it and stuffed the sensor in the end, works fine. heres my intake

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
but what about the tube i showed in the picks, did you do anything with it? can i just disconnect it and forget about it?

G

·
if i remember correctly, that tube recylcles blow by, so if you leave it disconnected point it down so it doesnt get your engine all dirty :)

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so the tube is taking air from the engine and forcing it back into the manifold?

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
does anyone know for sure? someone has to know what the tube is exactly and what i should do with it...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts