Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 92 camry 2.2L from my girlfriends parents just as a first car. I'm not much of a car person and I need to fix a few things and help make the car run better. So what better place to come than here.

First things first. The car has been idling very strangely only at certain times, most noteably after the car has been running for a while. When the car is cold it idles just fine. I've narrowed this down to the genius who duct taped the intake hose back together. Does anyone know where to get a good/decent aftermarket intake that will actually fit this car. Most I've seen on the internet are for the v6.

Next I need to just fix a few minor things, but what I've been finding on the internet are all expensive. I need a window regulator for the front driver side window. Every place I've found on the internet is over $100.

Also, If anyone has any other suggestions I can do sort of inexpensively for the moment until I can save some more money, please feel free to give some imput.

Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Why are rams dissed so much. Sure they lose low-end but they are ok. I have a weapon-r with a shield and than a pipe to run it into the area near the wheel well to pick up cold air.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I said, I dont know much about cars. I'm not looking to mod this car to hell and back. I'm just trying to make it run better.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
convert to synthetic oil, for the tranny and motor. get a new intake. change plugs, timing belt, wires, dist cap, rotor

PM me if you have 'q's

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would just go with a K&N drop in, you sacrifice no low end, improve throttle ressponse, and gain a few hp through the entire rpm band. gas mileage is a plus too:thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well.. i need to replace the intake hose or whatever it is.. its basically taped right at the curve at the intake manifold and needs to be replaced anyways.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think he's talking about a stock intake, and i doubt your girl friend wants a short ram intake, that when above 3k rpms, sounds like it has an exhuast system on it..... for the window regulator, check ebay, they have them for 40$ or less brand new.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Lyons451 said:
Why are rams dissed so much. Sure they lose low-end but they are ok. I have a weapon-r with a shield and than a pipe to run it into the area near the wheel well to pick up cold air.
Shields don't do anything. Air moves around solid objects :rolleyes:

And being Imports, low-end is something we don't have much of, and can't afford to lose.

And if you piped it, that makes it a CAI ;)

userlain said:
convert to synthetic oil, for the tranny and motor. get a new intake. change plugs, timing belt, wires, dist cap, rotor

PM me if you have 'q's

Conervting to synth could be the biggest mistake you ever make. Don't listen to him!

Seeing as it is a '92, I am assuming it is higher mileage. If you have a lot of miles on your car, there is a good chance that you have minor cracks in your engine. These aren't much of a problem. However if you switch to synthetic oil, it will run right through those cracks and you'll fry your engine from friction. I wouldn't risk it.

Premium oil (like NAPA) will work fine. I have 200,500miles on my car and I use NAPA Premium oil always.

yotacam98 has it right, just get a K&N drop in filter. That's your best bet. It will trap dirt better than any other so that your engine will run smoother.

For a new intake, PM BlueMeanie. Ask if he still has his stock intake up for sale. I believe the 4cyl didn't change between Gens, But I'm not 100%. But he'll give you a good price on it.

And I'll PM you later. I have a wholesale place I go through that I'll be able to get you a decent price on a window regulator :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correct.. This car has over 211K miles on it and is coming from owners that don't know how to maintain vehicles *cough* girlfriends parents.. lol.

camry 96
304 Posts
i just bought a weapon r dragon intake. tuner performance reports voted the weapon r dragon intake the best ram intake and out performed most cold air intakes. mine hasnt arrived yet but i think it will be great. i have heard great things about the sound. i have also heard about thier new secret weapon intake and it is supposed to be even better than the dragon but it isnt tested by anyone but weapon r so take ur chances with it. the weapon r intake is 114.40 at prostreetonline.com and the secret is 158 somethin.

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
Lyons451 said:
btw...that doesnt do shit...jus to let you kno...the only tru way of gettin colder air is making your own CAI like me and mark

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
SmokingTiresV6 said:
Shields don't do anything. Air moves around solid objects :rolleyes:

And being Imports, low-end is something we don't have much of, and can't afford to lose.

And if you piped it, that makes it a CAI ;)

Conervting to synth could be the biggest mistake you ever make. Don't listen to him!

Seeing as it is a '92, I am assuming it is higher mileage. If you have a lot of miles on your car, there is a good chance that you have minor cracks in your engine. These aren't much of a problem. However if you switch to synthetic oil, it will run right through those cracks and you'll fry your engine from friction. I wouldn't risk it.

Premium oil (like NAPA) will work fine. I have 200,500miles on my car and I use NAPA Premium oil always.

yotacam98 has it right, just get a K&N drop in filter. That's your best bet. It will trap dirt better than any other so that your engine will run smoother.

For a new intake, PM BlueMeanie. Ask if he still has his stock intake up for sale. I believe the 4cyl didn't change between Gens, But I'm not 100%. But he'll give you a good price on it.

And I'll PM you later. I have a wholesale place I go through that I'll be able to get you a decent price on a window regulator :)
relax man...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts