Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
TN Track day addict
2,541 Posts
shifting out of it isn't that hard carl. :grin:

shifting into it is the part that takes some practise.

·
Registered
861 Posts
yes you can, but you have to have the engine speed perfectly matched before you put it into gear,

also if you screw up, its bad for the synchros

·
Boro Box Pilot
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
On 2002-06-25 10:34, mr_sinister wrote:
yes you can, but you have to have the engine speed perfectly matched before you put it into gear,

also if you screw up, its bad for the synchros
yep! u have to know how much ur revs drop say from 2nd to 3rd gear...so when ur in 2nd, u gotta let the revs drop that x amount before u can shift to 3rd, otherwise it wont go in.

·
TN Track day addict
2,541 Posts
considering the fact that i wanna make my tranny LAST unlike some ppl, it has nothing to do with motor skills.

i'd think that my coordination is above average than most :grin: and it IS a hand-eye or hand-ear coordination when it comes to clutchless

·
Boro Box Pilot
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
On 2002-06-25 23:04, Lafora wrote:
you've yet to see me with a badminton racquet :grin:
U PLAY BADDY TOO?!
THANK GOODNESS SOMEONE ELSE HERE PLAYS! let's go :grin:

·
TN Track day addict
2,541 Posts
if u'r chinese, u'd know hw to play badminton :grin:

well, i did join ymca :lol: we can play there sometime

·
Registered
14 Posts
odd... i thought double clutching was only for truckers 'cause their rpms don't drop fast enough... since our cars have syncro's why bother?

·
Boro Box Pilot
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
On 2002-06-26 17:01, james902 wrote:
odd... i thought double clutching was only for truckers 'cause their rpms don't drop fast enough...
excuse my ignorance but HUH what on earth does that have to do with syncros? that has to do with the mass of the flywheel!
and lafora YEAAA BADMINTON! THE TRUE CHINESE SPORT! :grin:

·
Registered
184 Posts
hmm, tried clutchless shifting today, 3rd to 4th, partially got it, went halfway in without grinding, but did it too slow and didn't put it in all the way so popped back out. I'll keep at it, hope I don't blow the tranny, wish I had a tach tho.

And Cyril, we gotta play badminton sometime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
from what i remember from autoclass...

umm... i'm not sure if new trucks (i.e. buses and big truckers) have syncro's or not, but i know the old ones don't... a lot of them double clutch because it allows them to drop and raise the rpm's faster since their rpm's don't spool up as fast as our sedans/coupes. Since they don't change quick enough, if you engage them at a low rpm while upshifting to a higher gear (i.e. going from gear 3->2), the GRAUNCH is the big jolt of mega torq on the transmission. Ever try dropping your clutch when the rpm of your engine was totally off with the speed of your tranny? big jolt right? now imagine a big trucker doing that w/ a LOT of torq on the tranny. that much torq puts that much more stress on the tranny and increases the wear and tear on the tranny not to mention the clutch too.

as with syncros, i believe modern cars are made with syncros which helps syncronizes the gear speed with the road before you re-engage the engine (letting off on the clutch) thus makeing it already easier for us to shift while still allowing room for error. And thats why we don't need to double clutch...

but what about the statement:

"Does double-clutching do any good if you have a synchromesh box? Yes, it makes the synchros work less hard than they were designed to, so they will last longer. The synchros will make up for any errors. "

this works the same way as letting off your clutch at the matching transmission speed. What happens? smooth engagement=conformatble ride. by shifting like thisyou ain't putting as much stress on the clutch and tranny... therefore your clutch and tranny can potentially last longer.

and as for speed shifting with no use of the clutch... yea it works... and it can be faster (like fraction of fractions of a second) BUT, if you miss you'll basically automatically lose a race and add the risk of ruining your gears.

btw when did i say flywheel?

hope that helps =]

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
On 2002-06-27 04:08, james902 wrote:
from what i remember from autoclass...
as with syncros, i believe modern cars are made with syncros which helps syncronizes the gear speed with the road before you re-engage the engine (letting off on the clutch) thus makeing it already easier for us to shift while still allowing room for error. And thats why we don't need to double clutch...
what country do you have to go to, to buy a car without syncros???????????

i think all cars now are made with them in mind.

you would be SURPRISED how many ppl rely on their syncros not only on downshiftnig but upshifting as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Completely clutchless shifting a manual trans.

The slave went out on my 89 toyota 4x4, while on the way to the shop for replacement.
While in traffic I stopped at an intersection and when light turns green push down clutch pedal start to ingage first gear from neutral and suprpise no clutch disengagement.

Not to look like a dumb ass, I pushed shift lever with steady pressure into fist with engine at idle until truck slowly started to roll then slipped it all the way into fist with no grind at at.

Second and the rest all done by feeling the gear engagement and engine wheel speed match, no grind.

Drove the 15 miles to shop with no clutch and no problem.

Something good to know just incase you need it

Easy, to way to Easy

21 - 40 of 41 Posts