Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Venza LE Blue
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many of you experienced interior usability issues. I thought of capturing my thought here. May be some of these solved other ways. Lets list out first.

Lets start with the "Start Button".. They totally forgot about the Start button, in the last minute decides, hey we have the cubby, we can put it there. This appendage makes already tiny cubby pretty much unusable.

The geniuses thought of providing the wireless charger in that cubby right beside those use ports. Plugging in a cable into that USB port is exercise in futility. Now, we have wireless charger, but Head unit can't use Android Auto/Apple Carplay without cable defeating the whole purpose(wireless issue seems to be fixed in 2023). These guys were not thinking straight.

We can't even property see any of those button in front of the shifter. Whoever genius designed that, never thought of usability. On top of it, every dam thing including the trim ring is all black.

The Glove box, can anyone able to put anything beyond those manuals there? There is hardly any space. I painstakingly installed Led light(DIY) with door switch. Now I realize Toyota sees there is no point putting in one as there is no space for anything other than manuals.

12v Cigarette lighter socket in side the console. How is this usable?

Now coming back to Cargo area. Don't know who the numbskull designed this. I thought space is small, height is too low, and narrow. When I removed the interior bits for sound proof project, I realized how dumb these guys are. So much space is wasted width wise, depth wise. If done properly, it could add additional usable10cuft of space in the. I feel like I should rip these out do the change.
Cargo area list goes on. So much space above battery in the back. RAV4 has atleast a cubby. Same thing on driver side what happened to all the space behind wheel well? There is almost 12 inches(1 foot) width between wheel wells is uselessly wasted. Same thing height wise behind the rear seat, the floor could easily 6 inch low to make it more usable height wise. My calculations comes at least 10cuft of space has been wasted. It could have been close to RAV4 space easily. The Main 12v Relay and Fuse on the cargo floor where there is so much accessible/safe space on the wheel well. This wasted so much floor space. I thought of even re-routing this, but then since vehicle is under warranty, I did not want to take risk as we have seen manufacturers tend to blame the mods despite it has nothing to do with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Venza LE Blue
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So what do you like about it?
Everything else. How it looks, how it drives, all the standard features it comes with, fuel efficiency, driving comfort, quietness.
But I am not a Fan Boy of any specific company. Of course all my main cars are Toyota, that does not mean Toyota does not do bone headed things.

These should go as strong feedback to these Toyota (whatever the brand may be) so they learn and fix it. I was hoping some of the bone headed things would be fixed in mid life cycle update. They seems to have addressed few things like power passenger seat option and wireless AA/Carplay. But fundamentally they did not fix many usability issues laid out here.

We should prize where it is due, and criticize where it is due. If we don't do that, we are doing disservice to ourselves and Toyota.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Many of you experienced interior usability issues. I thought of capturing my thought here. May be some of these solved other ways. Lets list out first.

Lets start with the "Start Button".. They totally forgot about the Start button, in the last minute decides, hey we have the cubby, we can put it there. This appendage makes already tiny cubby pretty much unusable.

The geniuses thought of providing the wireless charger in that cubby right beside those use ports. Plugging in a cable into that USB port is exercise in futility. Now, we have wireless charger, but Head unit can't use Android Auto/Apple Carplay without cable defeating the whole purpose(wireless issue seems to be fixed in 2023). These guys were not thinking straight.

We can't even property see any of those button in front of the shifter. Whoever genius designed that, never thought of usability. On top of it, every dam thing including the trim ring is all black.

The Glove box, can anyone able to put anything beyond those manuals there? There is hardly any space. I painstakingly installed Led light(DIY) with door switch. Now I realize Toyota sees there is no point putting in one as there is no space for anything other than manuals.

Now coming back to Cargo area. Don't know who the numbskull designed this. I thought space is small, height is too low, and narrow. When I removed the interior bits for sound proof project, I realized how dumb these guys are. So much space is wasted width wise, depth wise. If done properly, it could add additional usable10cuft of space in the. I feel like I should rip these out do the change.
Cargo area list goes on. So much space above battery in the back. RAV4 has atleast a cubby. Same thing on driver side what happened to all the space behind wheel well? There is almost 12 inches(1 foot) width between wheel wells is uselessly wasted. Same thing height wise behind the rear seat, the floor could easily 6 inch low to make it more usable height wise. My calculations comes at least 10cuft of space has been wasted. It could have been close to RAV4 space easily. The Main 12v Relay and Fuse on the cargo floor where there is so much accessible/safe space on the wheel well. This wasted so much floor space. I thought of even re-routing this, but then since vehicle is under warranty, I did not want to take risk as we have seen manufacturers tend to blame the mods despite it has nothing to do with it.

If I had my druthers, the load floor would be lower, there's plenty of room to do just that, although I do store stuff underneath it. A few tiedown loops would have been nice. And I'm with you with the 12 V in the center console compartment.....ugh. My traded in 2020 RAV4 had the 12 V outlet near the rear seat vents in the center console, definitely a better location.

·
Registered
2021 Venza LE Blue
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I had my druthers, the load floor would be lower, there's plenty of room to do just that, although I do store stuff underneath it. A few tiedown loops would have been nice. And I'm with you with the 12 V in the center console compartment.....ugh. My traded in 2020 RAV4 had the 12 V outlet near the rear seat vents in the center console, definitely a better location.
Yeah 12V I got frustrated and added one in the cargo area as use my car to inflate our bike tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Venza Limited
19 Posts
My main design complaint is the Limited's capacitive-touch controls. There's talk the '23 will have a volume knob, which I think would solve my biggest issue... I cannot simply reach over and put my finger on the volume up/down buttons without looking to make sure I hit the right spot (and not the temp up/down). I would be able to find the knob.

I know, there are controls on the steering wheel, and I do use those...but there are times you need to quickly turn the volume down and that's where reaching for that knob and twisting it fast is the natural reaction - at least for me. :) (Note: I always found the volume buttons Jeep puts on the BACK of the steering wheel to be very natural and intuitive).

Other things for me are just timing issues: no USB C port, no wireless CarPlay. They will come with new models at some point.

·
Registered
2021 Venza LE Blue
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My main design complaint is the Limited's capacitive-touch controls. There's talk the '23 will have a volume knob, which I think would solve my biggest issue... I cannot simply reach over and put my finger on the volume up/down buttons without looking to make sure I hit the right spot (and not the temp up/down). I would be able to find the knob.

I know, there are controls on the steering wheel, and I do use those...but there are times you need to quickly turn the volume down and that's where reaching for that knob and twisting it fast is the natural reaction - at least for me. :) (Note: I always found the volume buttons Jeep puts on the BACK of the steering wheel to be very natural and intuitive).

Other things for me are just timing issues: no USB C port, no wireless CarPlay. They will come with new models at some point.
Agree, that upgraded system was retarded. I would have gladly paid for JBL audio and XLE, but most cars with XLE was available with that retarded touch system. I like the control without that much better. Why can't they have regular AC controls and audio on the top with bigger screen.

·
Registered
2021 Venza LE Titanium Glow
125 Posts
I like the location of the power button as I can see it clearly without its view getting blocked by the steering column. One advantage of a higher cargo floor level is that it allows a shallow subwoofer box to be put in between the spare tire and the cargo floor thereby saving space for actual cargo to be placed on top.

·
Registered
21 Venza Limited
57 Posts
No tie downs in the cargo area, is unsafe, and I believe it is illegal no have things not secured. Loose objects become missile in a wreck......
I own a 4-place Grumman (single engine plane) with tie-down straps in the cargo area (much the same setup as our Venzas). FAA requires all items kept here are to be strapped down. Equally important in the SUV. The angulation of the rear seats provides some protection from flying luggage -but not enough for most frontal crashes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was issued a warning years ago for having a tool box not tied down in the cab of a pickup by the State Police..... lesson learned.... So how can Toyota get away with it? second, I have a passengers seat I can not get in without a struggle, if they want to do something useful or upgrades address these kind of things. Why can't they put a manual passenger seat that would go up and down as well as the rest of the movement.....

·
Registered
845 Posts
Got to love keyboard engineers. Do you know the parameters that were specified for the vehicle? For example, concerning the cargo space. Not only do they have to try to provide as much space as possible they also have to save space for the drive line and suspension under the car. Engineer the structure strong enough to withstand an impact without allowing intrusion into the safety space. And have roof pillars strong enough to hold the entire weight of the vehicle without collapsing; but without being too obtrusive as to block space for the driver's sight through the windows.

Some things are done for reasons you may not understand. You made a comment about all the space above the battery and I'm assuming you mean it's wasted space. But if you look closely you can see something bright orange behind that sheet metal. It's probably a high voltage cable for the Hybrid system. Because these cables carry enough voltage to electrocute manufacturers make schematics of the vehicle available to first responders. This is so they know where the cables are in the car so they aren't accidently cut and how to shut power off from the battery. All that space maybe because it's room for first responders to have access to the high voltage system.

Then the manufacturing engineers are going to want it to be designed for easy assembly and within the capability of the tooling being used in the factory.

Also. most importantly, it has to be done within a budget so the cost of the vehicle fits a certain price point.

·
Registered
75 Posts

I cheaped out and got the base LE (Low End :sneaky:) trim with those low class buttons and knobs.😮

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have a deposit on a 2022 Venza LE which has just arrived at the dealership, and I am considering waiting to order a 2023 XLE mainly for wireless CarPlay. Having wireless charging is ridiculous when you have to plug in a cable to use CarPlay. I would install an aftermarket wireless adapter - but where would it fit? If the USB audio port was in the center storage area, that would be great. My other gripe is that the interior just looks cheap in the LE - too much black plastic where they add touches of silver in the XLE. I can get used to it for $3500, but still - a classy looking exterior is spoiled by a bland monotone interior. It's not a cheap car, it just looks like one.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts