Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 99 Tacoma a few months ago. I love it so far, but I may be paranoid about one issue. As the temperature drops lately, I’ve found frost on the inside of the windshield. I get in the truck, grab the ice scraper and go to work on the outside, but quickly realize the frost is on the inside.

I recalled once (and only once so far) getting into the truck and noticing a very potent and foul smell. After putting that symptom together with the interior frost, I was afraid I may have a heater core issue. But I don’t seem to be loosing any coolant, at lest not very fast.

Does this sound like the problem, or would there be another explanation for interior frost.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
If it is coolant as you suspect it would not freeze. unless it is mixed improperly. is there another source such as a soaked carpet or a window cracked or something? If you do have a antifreeze leak you would smell a sweet order as is the smell of antifreeze. sometimes you have to be careful with leaks they could be going under the carpet on to the floorboard and not seen. You could always do a pressure check that normally helps alot to find a leak. also make sure all your plugs in the floor board are still in and not out allowing water to get in and cause the same problem .

Lance

·
C-5 Mekinik
237 Posts
This may sound weird, but do you have floor mats like the weather tech mats that trap and hold water? If so they can actually aggravate your issue. The same applies if your regular mats are getting pretty wet from snow melt. The reason forth is is that as your vehicle cools, the windows will tend to cool faster than other parts such as the floor boards. Some of the water from the floor mats will evaporate and having no where to escape the car will tend to accumulate on the windows as they cool.

A side issue could be a clogged drain for the ac core portion of your heater box. This can let water build up in the box and do just like above.

It all boils down to to much moisture in the interior. The hard part is finding where it is coming from

·
Registered
27 Posts
This used to happen to an old topaz my father used to own. The floor was so rusty that the carpet was always damp. Each time we parked the car, we would leave doors open for a few minutes. This lets the heat out and allows the inside temp to be close to the outside temp. This will prevent the condensation from building up on the windows which eventually freezes.

This will help prevent the ice buildup while you track down the root of the problem. Check floor drains, mosture in carpet, wetherstripping etc.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
Ok found my leak today it was a loose hose casing the coolant to leak and walla no more sweet smell, (thats a good thing).
DJnoble find where the water is being held inside your truck and fix the problem.

Lance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. It hasn’t really occurred again, and I think the culprit was simply snow melt. I had just gotten paranoid that it was a coolant issue. But I’m fairly certain now that wasn’t the problem. I don’t mind the occasional inconvenience, so long as there’s no major problem.

The truck just turned over 50k, so I’m probably overanalyzing all the little symptoms.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
There is always another issue that happens once in a while, the drain hose for the ac system may get clogged and all the water that normally drains out will sit there and cause the same problem. If it happens just take a wire and run it up the drain hose it will normally dislodge the clogg and drain out.

Lance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts