Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who are looking to change their interior lights to LEDs, DO IT! I just replaced the following bulbs to LEDs for my car (2012 SE w/sunroof):
  • Map lights - 2 bulbs
  • Vanity lights - 2 bulbs
  • Courtesy (door) lights - 2 bulbs
  • Dome lights - 2 bulbs
  • Trunk light - 1 bulb
  • License plate lights - 2 bulbs
I used the same size LEDs (168) for all of the above and only spent about $20 for it on Amazon. Here is a link to the bulbs I purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/5-SMD-White-High-Power-Lights/dp/B0047RV8WG/. I purchased 3 packs (12 LED bulbs total) from the seller YupBizAuto (shipping price does not go up with more quantity at YupBizAuto).

The LED lights give a real nice white/bluish color and completely changes the interior look and feel of the car. I would definitely recommend this for others out there who's looking for an inexpensive interior mod.

Changing the bulbs out only took about 20 minutes, hardest part was just figuring out how each of the housing cover opens up.

Thanks to H9alyman for posting some really good pictures and tutorial on this cheap mod. Pictures/tutorial can be found in his posts at:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/403873-interior-led-bulbs-replacement-license-plate-lights-2.html#post3783269
and
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/403873-interior-led-bulbs-replacement-license-plate-lights-3.html#post3787207

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought 3 packs of these for 12 bulbs altogether:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/5-SMD-White-High-Power-Lights/dp/B0047RV8WG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328210391&sr=8-2[/ame]

It's about five dollar shipping from the merchant (I got mine from YupBizAuto) and shipping price remains the same if you increase quantity.

I'll try to take picture and/or video when I get time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I was looking around, I almost pulled the trigger at superbrightLEDs but did a little more research and found that Amazon had retailers selling for a fraction of the price. I ended up only paying about $20 (less than $2/LED bulb) rather than $50+ at SuperbrightLEDs.

It made it easy that I only had one size bulb to worry about. For those without the sunroof, dome light may be a little different requring the festoon type bulb, not sure. Just check the manual to see what kind of bulbs you need.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I changed all of my interior lights to blue LEDS and they look real cool and are MUCH brighter than stock. I put white LEDS in the license plate lights and again are much brighter. I have always gotten mine from VLEDS.com with good prices and service and real quick delivery. i have red LEDS on the interior of my Vette and they look amazing with the red interior. Cheap change that looks good and is functional.

·
Happy TN user
194 Posts
This seems to be a popular thread topic and mod among Corolla owners. I think I might have to tackle this inexpensive upgrade on mine shortly. There isn't a shortage of info on here, that's for sure.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
just bought my 3 packs :clap:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much of a difference do the LEDs make?
Depending on the LED bulbs purchased, you can go as bright or dim as you want. For me, it gives the car more characteristics with the interior LEDs and I really like the setting a lot more than the stock bulbs.

The bulbs I purchased were perfect and did not take away from the brightness/visibility factor. For those who wants it to be super BRIGHT, I would suggest going with a stronger LED for the map lights and/or dome lights.

For $20, it doesn't hurt giving it a shot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just bought my 3 packs :clap:
Let me know how you like them. Also, if the bulbs don't light up when plugged in, just turn them around and try again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ordered mine as well

+100 for instructions lol

Just curious, has anyone replaced their headlight bulbs with a more LED look? (not HID, thats way too much modification)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the info. I may eventually do this as I think the standard dome light is not bright enough with the black interior.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Depending on the LED bulbs purchased, you can go as bright or dim as you want. For me, it gives the car more characteristics with the interior LEDs and I really like the setting a lot more than the stock bulbs.

The bulbs I purchased were perfect and did not take away from the brightness/visibility factor. For those who wants it to be super BRIGHT, I would suggest going with a stronger LED for the map lights and/or dome lights.

For $20, it doesn't hurt giving it a shot.
What's the secret to getting multiple packs without having to pay shipping on each individual pack? I set up my order on Amazon, and it had like $4.00 per item, PLUS $1.99 for the entire order. $17.00 for qty 4 in shipping, plus the $3.99 each for the items. Nearly $35.00.

Is there a way to avoid the excessive shipping charge?

·
Registered
15 Posts
ewkid, I have the same as you, the dome light is not as bright as I'd like. I would like be able to have the map lamps come on with the dome also, like our Rav4. If you find a brighter bulb let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
ewkid, I have the same as you, the dome light is not as bright as I'd like. I would like be able to have the map lamps come on with the dome also, like our Rav4. If you find a brighter bulb let me know. Thanks!
That would be a great mod, the map lights are pretty good.

1 - 20 of 401 Posts