Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 200 of 401 Posts

·
Knight Rider
45 Posts
True, to bad you can't cancel your order. The link I gave you works and the price is 9.98....
Yea you did some good shopping to find such a great deal. Mine are all installed now but I am a little pissed I could have saved some $$$. I might order another set for back-ups just in case.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just did this and LOVE it! Really simple. I did scratch around the first one a bit trying to figure out the clips but not noticeable unless you point it out.
Thanks for the tip guys.

The best tip I can pass on is using needle nose pliers with some sort of sticky tape on them to pull bulbs out was absolutely key!

And this video was great so you don't need to take the whole inner lining of the trunk out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1SZajvbGHoU Thanks to whomever posted it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So as a heads up:

I replaced my Shifting bulb with a LED White T5 bulb, it didn't turn out as bright as i hoped it would... I didn't think of it at the time, but I might have had my dash 'dimmed' at the time, causing it to be dimmer than i expected (will check that tonight). Either that or i need to get a different bulb type.

Either way tho it was plug and play and works nicely :) Yet another incandescent bulb gone away!

So, shifter Light a T5 bulb will fit into:) ^^
Where and how did you get those cup holder led's?

I plan on doing this mod, however I have a few questions.

1. Will it void anything? Like warranty or anything? I am leasing the car.

2. There are a variety of LED's listed in this thread and the numbers and everything are confusing me. I have a 2012 SE w/ moonroof. So how many LED's and which ones should I get for my interior and license plate lighting? Links would be very helpful.

I'm new so take it easy on me ><

·
Registered
206 Posts
Then remove wire harness and release light unit and remove from car.
I did it tonight. Everything went smooth except I broke the above clip (not the wire harness itself) trying to remove it. One of the big sides that you have to squeeze. I also couldn't get the other one to free itself out. It came loose but couldn't get it out of the trunk. I will try again tomorrow when it's light outside. Also, the LED's I used for the doors wouldn't allow the cage to go back around the new bulb so I left them off.

Any idea where I can find the part number for it since I will have to buy another one?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey TAH Did you replace an led bulb with this or was it the stock bulb you replaced? I already changed over all my interior lighting with led bulbs including the trunk bulb, I'm curious if it is worth getting this bulb your using, if it will make that much of a difference.
I am referring to your post that said you put a WLED-XHP5 bulb in the trunk

·
Knight Rider
45 Posts
Where and how did you get those cup holder led's?

I plan on doing this mod, however I have a few questions.

1. Will it void anything? Like warranty or anything? I am leasing the car.

2. There are a variety of LED's listed in this thread and the numbers and everything are confusing me. I have a 2012 SE w/ moonroof. So how many LED's and which ones should I get for my interior and license plate lighting? Links would be very helpful.

I'm new so take it easy on me ><

Use this link. These bulbs will fit for replacing every bulb in the interior of your car(including trunk light) and license plate lights. I doubt this mod voids any warranty but just in case save your stock bulbs and put them back in before turning your car in after the lease. HH20 and myself have both bought these LED replacement bulbs from amazon although he got a better deal than me. This is his link.

You will need 11 bulbs total to replace all the bulbs in Gen 7 SE, but they come in sets of 2 or 4 so just order 12 total. I ordered 16 to have some spares. The map lights are the hardest to remove. You will need a small/skinny flat head screwdriver to pry the plastic cover open from each end. They just flap down to give you access to the bulbs, you will need pliers or if you have small fingers were a latex glove to get a good grip on the bulbs to remove them(pull them straight out, no twisting). Look the procedure up on YouTube for some play by play instructions if you are unsure of what you're doing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know I'm kinda hijacking this thread, but what do you guys think about LEDs for the fogs and daytime/high beams? I saw some on iJDMToy that looked interesting...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just swapped over all the 11 bulbs to LEDs. Love how they look so far. I'll have to check em out at night now. I plan on doing the reverse lights with LEDs after seeing how easy it was to get these done. This is the first car I've done the LED swap with. I might do my Grand Prix now.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What LED replaces the glove compartment light??? Is it the same as every where else. It just looks different in the pictures

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
None of the ones listed on that site look like they are similiar bodied to the one that comes out so kind of worries me. I think I will take it apart later and see if they match up or if it needs to be like the one below. My technical skills need it to be plug and play :facepalm: lol

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/2012-toyota-camry--glove+box/62-323--525577/

Sorry it took so long but here are some pics of the glovebox LED changeout

·
Registered
70 Posts
For those who are looking to change their interior lights to LEDs, DO IT! I just replaced the following bulbs to LEDs for my car (2012 SE w/sunroof):
  • Map lights - 2 bulbs
  • Vanity lights - 2 bulbs
  • Courtesy (door) lights - 2 bulbs
  • Dome lights - 2 bulbs
  • Trunk light - 1 bulb
  • License plate lights - 2 bulbs
I used the same size LEDs (168) for all of the above and only spent about $20 for it on Amazon. Here is a link to the bulbs I purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/5-SMD-White-High-Power-Lights/dp/B0047RV8WG/. I purchased 3 packs (12 LED bulbs total) from the seller YupBizAuto (shipping price does not go up with more quantity at YupBizAuto).

The LED lights give a real nice white/bluish color and completely changes the interior look and feel of the car. I would definitely recommend this for others out there who's looking for an inexpensive interior mod.

Changing the bulbs out only took about 20 minutes, hardest part was just figuring out how each of the housing cover opens up.

Thanks to H9alyman for posting some really good pictures and tutorial on this cheap mod. Pictures/tutorial can be found in his posts at:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/403873-interior-led-bulbs-replacement-license-plate-lights-2.html#post3783269
and
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/403873-interior-led-bulbs-replacement-license-plate-lights-3.html#post3787207
Hey just letting you know the dome light is different for the L models DE3175 bulb type its a single cylinder type bulb looks like a tube fuse with tips on each end and theres only 1. Im trying to look up the fuse type to see if they even make led for it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did it tonight. Everything went smooth except I broke the above clip (not the wire harness itself) trying to remove it. One of the big sides that you have to squeeze. I also couldn't get the other one to free itself out. It came loose but couldn't get it out of the trunk. I will try again tomorrow when it's light outside. Also, the LED's I used for the doors wouldn't allow the cage to go back around the new bulb so I left them off.

Any idea where I can find the part number for it since I will have to buy another one?
You didnt have to remove the whole thing, all you needed to do was open trunk and pop out the plastic piece on the outside with a small lens screw driver swap lights pop back in then done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Adding 2-cents here. I have a '12 SE I4, Magnetic Gray. I like to keep my cars stock so all I've done to mine is add the Scotchguard paint protection film. But the interior LEDs upgrades looked like good bang for the buck so I did it. Yes it's easy.

I bought my LEDs from Amazon. Got 12 but only needed 7, so I have a few extra. Big deal. Also bought a cabin air filter so shippping was free.

Removing the license plate covers was the signle toughest job because you feel like you are going to break something. I followed the YouTube video and the owners manual and with the right Allen wrench they popped. Replacing with LEDs is easy and 2 strong thumbs put it all back together. Push hard.

The trunk light is the easiest. As someone here said, there is a basket-like cover. One side is hinged and the other side is a clip. On my car the clip was on the right side. Jimmy the clip with your fingers or fingernails or a screwdriver and it swings open. Replace and snap closed. Simple.

The door lights are a warm & sunny day job because you have to sit on the ground to do it. These were a little tricky because the front or rear edge of the light is hinged and the opposite is clipped. Each door is different. So you have to probe each door light with a small screwdriver to find the edge (front or back) with the most play and pop it open. There is a good photo in this thread which shows how to remove the lens cover from the fixture.

The map lights are not difficult if you follow the photos in the thread. But, if you are ham-handed with a screwdriver you can easily deform the plastic housing. If you aren't comfortable with this or recoil at the slightest damage, don't try it. I used various screwdrivers, a Hyde putty knife and a small chisel to avoid damage. My best solution was to put 3 layers of masking tape on the housing before prying the outer edge of the lens with a screwdriver to open. A plastic trim tool or a jack-knife might also be good options. I do not understand all the difficulties about removing the stock lights. Slip-joint pliers and the barest sense of touch and you just pull them out... like butter.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I used various screwdrivers, a Hyde putty knife and a small chisel to avoid damage. My best solution was to put 3 layers of masking tape on the housing before prying the outer edge of the lens with a screwdriver to open. A plastic trim tool or a jack-knife might also be good options. I do not understand all the difficulties about removing the stock lights. Slip-joint pliers and the barest sense of touch and you just pull them out... like butter.
buy the plastic trim tool. it's a good investment for future projects:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300625597288?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3034wt_1370

i did have some issues removing the bulb. i tried the floss technique and just the pliers but didn't work. what worked for me is use the robber gloves to cover the bulb and to get some grip and then remove it with the long nose pliers.

tips for those with sunroof: when removing the lens on the back seats, half press the switch as if you are turning it on. then pry the other side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Many thanks to the OP and H9alyman for this great MOD thread and how-to.

I had a really tough time getting my bulbs out. Tried rubber/latex gloves, pliers. I even wrapped blue painters tape around my fingers to make 'em stickier. Bulbs were in really tight, driving me crazy! :headbang: Here's my tip for tight bulbs: What ended up working for me was dental floss. (I think any other very small string or thread will work also.) I slack-tied a loop with the floss, shimmied the loop with a small screwdriver over the bulb and up near where it curves in to the base, and tightened the loop. One pull and it popped out like a tooth!:thumbsup:

One question for you guys: I have SE I-4 base so no sunroof, which means my dome light uses a festoon bulb. Any of you have a non-sunroof and done the LED swap, and if so, what did you use? The 2011 non-sunroof uses a 3175/3022 31mm festoon, but I haven't been able to confirm in our 7th gen yet (will try to after work). Also, I wonder what LED will fit. There's tons of festoon LEDs on Amazon, and some have two, four, up to six diodes. Not sure what will fit width-wise.

exactly !!!

My dome light is different than others ..I dont know where to purchase these festoon bulb ...did you find them ?

181 - 200 of 401 Posts
About this Discussion
400 Replies
144 Participants
CorollaPants
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing