Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll do a quick pictoral guide for each light once I get them ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Has anyone put LED lights in the license plate lights that has the backup camera? I am wondering if it will make it extremely bright and hard to see when using the backup camera in the dark?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The LED lights do not offer a lot more light, but do offer the light at a different temperature. Imagine using compact fluorescent lights with the warm version and the bright white ones it's about the same temperature difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Has anyone put LED lights in the license plate lights that has the backup camera? I am wondering if it will make it extremely bright and hard to see when using the backup camera in the dark?
Nope, no issues with the brightness or visibility of the back up camera. If anything, it's a little more clear with the LEDs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So how hard is this mod? Do the LEDS make it blindingly bright? Or are they pretty much similar besides color temperature? Definitely interested in this mod, just waiting on the tutorial! :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Can anyone who's done this mod already provide some brief directions on how to replace the overhead map bulbs and the door bulbs please?

How did you get the overhead map light assembly and door light covers off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here are some pictures.
If anyone is thinking about this mod do it, it is easy. Took me less than 14 minutes start to finish, including taking pictures.
License plate lights - start by removing the trunk lid liner.

Then remove wire harness and release light unit and remove from car.

Once out, remove foam gasket and use small screwdriver to pry out the clear lense.

Just pull out old bulb and replace with LED, remember to test light before reassembly. LED's will only work 1 way

To change the reading lights in the front and rear.

Pry out lens from the outer edge with a small screwdriver

Lens will swivel on 2 plastic hinges.

Just pull out bulbs and replace.

The rears are the same concept except that the lenses are held on with 4 hook type clips on each corner, just use a small screwdriver on the front and rear edges to pry out the lens.

Door lights.

Use small screwdriver on top of lens and to the outer edge to pry unit out of the door.

Again, a plastic clip holds the wire harness in, just depress the center to release.

The door lights have a clear plastic shield over the bulbs, to release the shield use a small screwdriver to push a large clip inwards and upwards, then pull on the shield to release.

I also changed out the trunk light, the cover just pulls of with a little force.

I will be doing the vanity lights on Sunday, I'll post some pics of this later.

Also, here is a pic of the reversing camera with the LED's fitted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here are some pictures.
If anyone is thinking about this mod do it, it is easy. Took me less than 14 minutes start to finish, including taking pictures.
License plate lights - start by removing the trunk lid liner.

Then remove wire harness and release light unit and remove from car.

Once out, remove foam gasket and use small screwdriver to pry out the clear lense.

Just pull out old bulb and replace with LED, remember to test light before reassembly. LED's will only work 1 way

To change the reading lights in the front and rear.

Pry out lens from the outer edge with a small screwdriver

Lens will swivel on 2 plastic hinges.

Just pull out bulbs and replace.

The rears are the same concept except that the lenses are held on with 4 hook type clips on each corner, just use a small screwdriver on the front and rear edges to pry out the lens.

Door lights.

Use small screwdriver on top of lens and to the outer edge to pry unit out of the door.

Again, a plastic clip holds the wire harness in, just depress the center to release.

The door lights have a clear plastic shield over the bulbs, to release the shield use a small screwdriver to push a large clip inwards and upwards, then pull on the shield to release.

I also changed out the trunk light, the cover just pulls of with a little force.

I will be doing the vanity lights on Sunday, I'll post some pics of this later.

Also, here is a pic of the reversing camera with the LED's fitted.
thanks bro:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:, btw you dont need to open the trunk cover to replace the licence plate light, there is a much easier method to replace that (on page 408 of our camry manual). also is anyone figure it out the backup camera things? can't wait to install one, cuz its useful :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Will these LEDs actually DIM as well? I have not received my XLE yet but in the previous Camry I recall the vanity lights had a dimming slide.

Thank you so much for the tutorial! Will be ordering them soon!

Just curious, I am trying to figure out the numbers (129 / 168) which is the bulb type? which is the size? and what are the numbers we look for in order to find other compatible bulbs?

Am curious if there is a brighter bulb for the trunk, as it would be nice to have an incredibly bright one for that.

Also, is there a light under the hood??? ;)

How about any lights under the dash?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Will these LEDs actually DIM as well? I have not received my XLE yet but in the previous Camry I recall the vanity lights had a dimming slide.

Thank you so much for the tutorial! Will be ordering them soon!

Just curious, I am trying to figure out the numbers (129 / 168) which is the bulb type? which is the size? and what are the numbers we look for in order to find other compatible bulbs?

Am curious if there is a brighter bulb for the trunk, as it would be nice to have an incredibly bright one for that.

Also, is there a light under the hood??? ;)

How about any lights under the dash?

Thanks again!
I used the 168 LED's. As long as they are the 12v capless type you will be okay.
I'll take a pic of the trunk tonight, the light I used is plenty bright enough, for me anyways.
Didn't look for one under the hood but I will tonight, I have 1 spare bulb.
The lights are soft on, soft off but I do not see any type of potentiometer to manually dim the vanity lights.
For lights under the dash, I am going to fit 2 CCFL tubes (Blue)

·
Registered
194 Posts
i will definitely upgrade the lights to LEDs. the bulbs OEM's use are never bright enough, especially in the trunk. before my SE, i had a solara and i always had to break out a flash to search my trunk at night. i always felt that that was ridiculous.

·
Registered
57 Posts
just finished installing these. They look great... a little purple-ish tho.. but MUCH better.

Thanks for the tutorial!!

Took about 45mins (being very careful)

Did anyone change out their reverse lights?

I also wasn't brave enough to force the vanity lights off. Anyone do those?

·
Registered
26 Posts
just finished installing these. They look great... a little purple-ish tho.. but MUCH better.

Thanks for the tutorial!!

Took about 45mins (being very careful)

Did anyone change out their reverse lights?

I also wasn't brave enough to force the vanity lights off. Anyone do those?
I'm going to change the vanity lights tomorrow morning, I'll post some pics once there done ;)

21 - 40 of 401 Posts