Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was referring to the vanity mirror lights.

These don't seem like they come off nearly as easy (felt like I was going to rip the (cheap) headliner off)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll have the pictures posted within the hour. There is a knack to taking them off. Basically you need to pry them off from the left hand side on both lights but do not try to take the unit off, just pull it down far enough to get your fingers in to pull out the bulb. You know what they say - a picture speaks a thousand words - bear with me, I am still at work, I finish in 20 minutes...

·
Registered
26 Posts
here's the pictures for the vanity lights

Use a small screwdriver to pry down the left hand side of the unit (pry the left hand side for both units)

Then pull the unit down slightly, just enough to get your fingers in.

replace bulb and test before putting back

Overall result for me was 100% better..

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, there white but it looks like they have a bluish hint to them

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe I just had to get used to them or something, because I didn't notice any purple tonight(after seeing purple all week, lol)

Thanks for the cheap mod!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe I just had to get used to them or something, because I didn't notice any purple tonight(after seeing purple all week, lol)

Thanks for the cheap mod!
Thanks to the OP, Sirdope, for giving all of us this cheap mod:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks to the OP, Sirdope, for giving all of us this cheap mod:thumbsup:
You rock H9alyman! :clap:

I'll update the original post with links to your posts with pictures, it'll make it easier to find for new visitors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial! I had all interior lights swapped out in 20 minutes. Will try the trunk and license plate this weekend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
how do you get the bulbs out. I tried swapping the front map lights first and i'm pulling down on them hard and they are not coming out. Do I have to twist or turn them in anyway first?

·
Registered
26 Posts
how do you get the bulbs out. I tried swapping the front map lights first and i'm pulling down on them hard and they are not coming out. Do I have to twist or turn them in anyway first?
No twist, just pull them straight out. If the bulb is slipping out of your fingers try using a pair of latex or vinyl gloves.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the advice H9alyman, but I should of read this post before doing something stupid.:headbang: I took the whole unit out (just like how you hook that gentex mirror in) and now I can't put it back in!!

I noticed that it is attached by 4 white clips, but there are 2 white clips that are left on the frame of the car and 2 white clips that came out successfully and attached the the light unit. How do I take out those 2 clips out that are on the car?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the advice H9alyman, but I should of read this post before doing something stupid.:headbang: I took the whole unit out (just like how you hook that gentex mirror in) and now I can't put it back in!!

I noticed that it is attached by 4 white clips, but there are 2 white clips that are left on the frame of the car and 2 white clips that came out successfully and attached the the light unit. How do I take out those 2 clips out that are on the car?
can you take a picture of the clips that are left on the car

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am curious, really, how does this compare to the OEM lights? At night, the OEM ones seem plenty bright. The color is also softer.

Are these super bright/white?

Would hate to be blinded if my wife needed to use the map light while I'm driving...

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, it is a pretty soft color. It looks much better than the OEM lights at night when you unlock your doors and the interior lights up. I was driving on a fairly dark farm-to-market road last night and had to turn on the overhead light to look for something in the console box, and it was not a blinding brightness. You will not be disappointed. Also, I found a video on how to change out the trunk light under the 6th Generation Camry forums.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Same here. if you look around on Amazon for 194 led bulbs you can find many dealers at various prices. I got 10 (manufactured by AGT)for $10.30 plus $4.99 shipping. Its very easy to replace all interior lights. just take a small screwdriver and gently pry out the lenses (they come out easy and snap right back into place). The door lights are slightly harder because the bulb is slightly larger. just bend the metal tabs where the bulb (doors only) is held. It is really easy!!!! It took me about 15 minutes. I highly recommend changing them. they look great at night !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
did anyone change out the glove box light? does it use the same type of bulb?

just ordered a set of ten off of amazon from yupbiz. looking forward to the new look.

41 - 60 of 401 Posts