Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
can you take a picture of the clips that are left on the car
I finally got them out i just pulled down on them hard with a tool, and the gloves work great in taking out the front map lights. (barely have any room for my fingers to take the bulb out)

I'm just having trouble taking out the cage that protects the trunk light though. It looks like i'm going to break it does anyone have any tips for that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ahhh I messed up....

I broke on of the license plate light sockets/housing where can I buy a replacement? I changed the other one just fine :(

If there's no replacement I'll just hot glue it....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks man, I saw the clip and it swung right open!
Now does anyone know how to change the glove box light. That light is too dim!!
I took the glovebox light unit out and it looks like it is already a single led, it is just very dim. I am going to get a cap less bulb holder and replace this. I'll post some pictures once I'm done...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took the glovebox light unit out and it looks like it is already a single led, it is just very dim. I am going to get a cap less bulb holder and replace this. I'll post some pictures once I'm done...
Hey could you let us know what you are buying to make this brighter? I want to put an order in for these pronto and put them in once you post the pictures. Thanks again for all the work you are putting in to help us out.

·
2012 I4 SE Attitude Black
50 Posts
Many thanks to the OP and H9alyman for this great MOD thread and how-to.

I had a really tough time getting my bulbs out. Tried rubber/latex gloves, pliers. I even wrapped blue painters tape around my fingers to make 'em stickier. Bulbs were in really tight, driving me crazy! :headbang: Here's my tip for tight bulbs: What ended up working for me was dental floss. (I think any other very small string or thread will work also.) I slack-tied a loop with the floss, shimmied the loop with a small screwdriver over the bulb and up near where it curves in to the base, and tightened the loop. One pull and it popped out like a tooth!:thumbsup:

One question for you guys: I have SE I-4 base so no sunroof, which means my dome light uses a festoon bulb. Any of you have a non-sunroof and done the LED swap, and if so, what did you use? The 2011 non-sunroof uses a 3175/3022 31mm festoon, but I haven't been able to confirm in our 7th gen yet (will try to after work). Also, I wonder what LED will fit. There's tons of festoon LEDs on Amazon, and some have two, four, up to six diodes. Not sure what will fit width-wise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Many thanks to the OP and H9alyman for this great MOD thread and how-to.

I had a really tough time getting my bulbs out. Tried rubber/latex gloves, pliers. I even wrapped blue painters tape around my fingers to make 'em stickier. Bulbs were in really tight, driving me crazy! :headbang: Here's my tip for tight bulbs: What ended up working for me was dental floss. (I think any other very small string or thread will work also.) I slack-tied a loop with the floss, shimmied the loop with a small screwdriver over the bulb and up near where it curves in to the base, and tightened the loop. One pull and it popped out like a tooth!:thumbsup:

One question for you guys: I have SE I-4 base so no sunroof, which means my dome light uses a festoon bulb. Any of you have a non-sunroof and done the LED swap, and if so, what did you use? The 2011 non-sunroof uses a 3175/3022 31mm festoon, but I haven't been able to confirm in our 7th gen yet (will try to after work). Also, I wonder what LED will fit. There's tons of festoon LEDs on Amazon, and some have two, four, up to six diodes. Not sure what will fit width-wise.
I wasn't aware that the non-sunroof cars needed the festoon bulb. I swapped out the bulbs in my other car ('10 Acura RDX) which required a 31mm festoon for the dome. I bought these ones:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/31mm-Festoon-White-DE3022-DE3175/dp/B004ZVXFZ2/[/ame]

It's currently $13.88 for a pair (so you'll have an extra). The color matched up with the rest of the LED bulbs pretty well. Can't vouch for others that are being sold in singles.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My son has the 2012 SE V6 Cosmic Gray Mica with black leather and ash seats. He put in the blue LEDs and it looks great! It looked so good, I put them in my 2012 XLE V6 Magnetic Gray with Ivory Leather seats. Lookin good!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the LED lights from the amazon seller in post 1. I got the trunk light out and replaced, but now the "cage" won't shut. Do other folks have this issue, is the bulb too long?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I bought LED bulbs for $1 each and 4.99 shipping on Amazon !!!!
If you buy it from the same LED bulbs from the seller YupBizAuto, you can get 12 bulbs for about $20 total w/shipping. I didn't do too much shopping around but it's a lot cheaper than the main retailers mentioned in other threads (v-led, superbrightlight, etc).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I bought the LED lights from the amazon seller in post 1. I got the trunk light out and replaced, but now the "cage" won't shut. Do other folks have this issue, is the bulb too long?
I was able to get it fully closed just fine in the trunk. Make sure the bulb is pushed all the way in to the socket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was able to get it fully closed just fine in the trunk. Make sure the bulb is pushed all the way in to the socket.
Thanks. I was pushing the cage shut but was was worried about breaking it. I tried again and pushed it a bit harder and it finally clicked

·
Registered
194 Posts
i messed up...i broke the clip to one of bulb housings to the license plate. looking to go to the service department to try to get a new one. hopefully one won't cost an arm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry it took so long but here are some pics of the glovebox LED changeout

Use a small screwdriver to pry out the front edge of the light housing, only pull out about 3mm.

Pull unit towards you about half an inch then pull back end out and slide forward to pull front end out (you'll know what I mean when you try it :rolleyes:)

There is a cap on the rear of the housing, pull this off to reveal 2 wires they are simply a push on type (similar to a telephone connection)

With a bit of force you need to pry off the outer cover, use a small screwdriver to get the cover off, starting closest to wire the 2 wires were.

now you can see the inside of the unit, just pull out the LED, it is not soldered in.

now you have options, you could purchase a new LED and just push it into the holder then reassemble.

Or you could refit a new LED unit, I used one I had left over from fitting a glass radiator hose

Remove all of the support posts and connector strips and push in the replace LED unit

Reassemble the plastic base and cover

For extra security I taped the unit together

Before connecting to the main unit I drilled out the center of the lens cover more more light

Here is the whole unit ready to go back into car

Before you solder, or insulate the wires make sure the LED works (remember, LED's will only wire 1 way)

It is difficult to see in the daylight but here is an idea of how bright this is

This mod might be a bit fiddly but it really easy to do... Enjoy....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took pictures of these leds installed but they look nothing like the pics. in the pics they look pure white and the light evenly distributed throughout the entire fixture. They actually appear like a bright bulb in the fixture with a very slight purple tint at night. During the day they look a little more purple. Overall huge upgrade over stock-- definitely improves the look of the interior and light output without being overly bright.

61 - 80 of 401 Posts
About this Discussion
400 Replies
144 Participants
CorollaPants
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing