Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
i messed up...i broke the clip to one of bulb housings to the license plate. looking to go to the service department to try to get a new one. hopefully one won't cost an arm.
i went to the service department sunday and i can't buy the broken socket piece by itself. i have to buy the whole unit including washer, bulb and lens for $40. what's funny is all the other parts can be bought on their own but the one piece that you are liable to break isn't. is that just coincidence? lol

·
Registered
548 Posts
just fyi guys... I purchased my 194 smd-5 bulbs from 2 different dealers on Amazon and boyh were supposed to be AGT brand bulbs. 1 set was and 1 set was not (The correct AGT bulbs are in a gray plastic bag and say AGT on them). I installed them side by side and there is absolutely without a doubt a big difference. The AGT Bulbs are about 30% brighter and do not have the bluish tint that the cheaper (knock-off) bulbs had. I was happy with the cheap ones until I compared them to the better bulbs. I have no affiliation with any of the companies, I just thought I would put this out there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
just fyi guys... I purchased my 194 smd-5 bulbs from 2 different dealers on Amazon and boyh were supposed to be AGT brand bulbs. 1 set was and 1 set was not (The correct AGT bulbs are in a gray plastic bag and say AGT on them). I installed them side by side and there is absolutely without a doubt a big difference. The AGT Bulbs are about 30% brighter and do not have the bluish tint that the cheaper (knock-off) bulbs had. I was happy with the cheap ones until I compared them to the better bulbs. I have no affiliation with any of the companies, I just thought I would put this out there.
Thanks for the info. Which seller sold the legit AGT? Just curious, either way, I'm happy with the ones I bought, real or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
has anyone tried to switch out the shifter light yet? It's the same exact bulb for the glove box.
Not looked at that one but I plan on putting an LED in the cup holder, just to illuminate it, It involves taking the center console - so while it's off I might change the gear shift indicator light to a blue LED

·
Official TN Member
48 Posts
Not looked at that one but I plan on putting an LED in the cup holder, just to illuminate it, It involves taking the center console - so while it's off I might change the gear shift indicator light to a blue LED
Yea that would look pretty sweet to have leds in the cup holder.

Does anyone know how to rig the map lights with the dome light to turn on when you open the door?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yea that would look pretty sweet to have leds in the cup holder.

Does anyone know how to rig the map lights with the dome light to turn on when you open the door?
I took a look at this, the only way I can see to make this work would be to run a patch lead from the trigger wire from the curtesy lights and connect it to the map reading lights. Shouldn't be too complicated. The only issue you may have is how each of the lights are triggered, they need to be the same, i.e both triggered by a +ve wire or bohe triggered by the earth wire. HTH

·
2012 I4 SE Attitude Black
50 Posts
anyone figured out how to switch out the dome lights for the base SE?
Super easy. If you've done the other LED mods, this is easier, if that's even possible.

1. Buy LED. What non-sunroof Camrys have: 3175/3022 festoon bulb (31mm). What you need: google/amazon/e-bay "31mm festoon LED" or something like that.

*Tip 1: Be really careful about the LENGTH of the LED festoon you order! There are a ton of these, and if you read the reviews, you'll notice that many will exceed 31mm. Avoid LEDs that exceed 31mm, as even 31mm is a tight fit. If you exceed 31mm, it might still fit, but you'll have to do some bending of the metal connectors.

*Tip 2: Be careful about the WIDTH too! Amazon/e-bay are chock full of LED festoons, and they range from two diodes to 12 or more diodes. The more diodes, the wider the festoon. The dome light surround in your non-sunroof Camry can't take anything wider than about 31mm. The space is approximately 31mm x 31mm. So, look at the LED you want to buy. Ask yourself, does the "middle LED part" look wider than the metal connector-to-connector part? If yes, then it probably won't fit in your car.

This is what I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170761361558?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 (Warning: this LED comes from Hong Kong. Shipping took forever. :headbang: But it was way cheaper than Amazon. Also, the light is not an exact match to the LEDs I bought from "YupBizAuto" (Amazon seller listed in the OP). Only noticeable when you have both sets of lights on, and not a big deal to me, but just buyer beware.)

2. Switch dome light completely OFF. You could disconnect the battery...but...Eh.

3. Remove dome light cover. Use flat head screwdriver. There are two slots near the front edge of the cover, the edge closest toward the hood of the car. Four latches hold the cover in. Take a look at the pictures for the sunroof Camry LED install--this is the same.

4. Remove filament festoon bulb. You can use your screwdriver to push one of the metal prongs holding the bulb to the side.

5. Insert new LED bulb. This took me a few tries to get to sit flat in the chamber. The bulb seems to want to go in slanted so that the LEDs are tilted either forward or backwards. Try nudging one metal connector in part way, and then pushing the other side up and in. Keep at it, and if you have the right size, the LED should fit flat facing down.

***6. Turn on dome light to double check you've got it in the right way. (Pro Tip: check that you've got it faced the right way before snapping the LED all the way in.) LEDs only work in one direction.

7. Enjoy the compliments of your friends and significant other! LEDs dim and look sweet.:chug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for the tips, northkindo
I actually got a 12 smd one, but the width seems to be the same as the 16 smd you got. The dome light cover popped open pretty easily. I had a hard time trying to make the LED flat. so I just ended up jamming it in there as hard as can with it slightly slanted. Hopefully it wont pop out when I drive over a speed bump or something

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP Somebody!!! First I wanted to say, I should of read this forum first, im a idiot. I was trying to change out the dome lights in the front, I removed the covers. Next I tried to unscrew the bulbs but it didnt work, so I started pushing and pulling at it. Little did I k now the bulb and connector went inside the hole and its now stuck inside. Is there a way to remove the entire piece? Please help!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, I have a question about the rear overhead light in a sunroof SE, from the photo seen on page 2, mine is completely different on one side (the towards the window) Here is a photo of mine on top compared to the earlier photo.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7166433249
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7351675970/

As you can see the two have 2 different clips on one side closest to the window. It will stay up there, but you cannot click it to turn the light on. If you press hard enough, it will just pop out. Anyone have any help on this one?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
So, I have a question about the rear overhead light in a sunroof SE,.........
Both of my SE w/sunroof rear overhead lights can be clicked on/off similar to the front overhead lights. Do you have the left and right sides swapped?

EDIT: I just noticed the clips are bent :yikes: in the first picture. One front and one rear tab on the left side clips should not be bent over. They should all be straight like in the second picture.

·
Registered
20 Posts
***6. Turn on dome light to double check you've got it in the right way. (Pro Tip: check that you've got it faced the right way before snapping the LED all the way in.) LEDs only work in one direction.

7. Enjoy the compliments of your friends and significant other! LEDs dim and look sweet.:chug:
Thanks for putting this up northkindo! I was getting frustrated when my dome light wouldn't work, so when I saw this I went out to my car at 330 am and tried again lol and it worked!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just put all LEDs in mine. I got the ones off amazon and they look damn good. Like others said, was very simple. Only issue I ran into was getting the bulbs out of the map lights, they didnt want to come out. Ignore the dirty trunk :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
On the topic of LEDs, has anyone replaced their tail, reverse, brake, turn signals and marker lighter with LEDs yet? Anyone recommend a certain brand or know the sizes?

81 - 100 of 401 Posts
About this Discussion
400 Replies
144 Participants
CorollaPants
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing