Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 140 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
you don't have the confidence to pop it out of the hole .

close up on the hole used to removed light covers :

smallest allen key size on tool :

insert the allen key into the hole, and attempt to " pry " it or pop it out

Okay thanks man. The allen key i has a really small length so i guess i just need it a bit longer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After reading this post several times I pulled the trigger. Purchased 12 AGT 5 SMD LED bulbs from seller "SpeedShop" through Amazon.com. Bulbs came in in six (2 bulbs per bag) sealed gray Mylar bags with the AGT sticker on the bags just like mentioned somewhere in this post by a fellow TN member. Every single LED worked. I don't have prior experience with LED bulbs so I can't comment on color or brightness but compared to the OEM bulb these are way better. Paid around $25....A little costlier than other sellers but after someone mentioned the difference in output between AGT and non-AGT bulbs and the fact these have a 1-year warranty I decide it is worth it. After all a traffic citation for burned-out license plate lights willcost me cost more. A million Thanks to the person that posted the photos...I could not have done it with out the pics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
how did you get 12 for $25 O_O

they sell 10 for $9 and another ... $6 for shipping?
Lack of knowledge, that's how. I went to Amazon.com looked up "AGT LEB Bulbs" and purchased from seller "Speedshop" which seems to be the only one that sells genuine AGT bulbs. The price is for a pack of 2 plus shipping. When I ordered 6 packs the shipping for each bag was added too.... came to $24 and change.
Internet > me. :disappoin

I mentioned on my previous post that other sellers are cheaper but if you read the reviews on Amazon and the threads on this post it seems like the quality of the bulbs is based on price. A ticket for a busted license plate light because of inferior quality bulbs is more expensive

·
Registered
52 Posts
Completed this mod yesterday and it looks great. I didn't have any trouble removing the license plate covers with an allen wrench but had a heck of a time trying to remove the bulbs from the front map lights. I guess my fingers were to big to grip them. I used a shoe lace and tied it around the base of the bulbs and yanked them out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also had a hard time getting the bulbs out. I just took some duct tape and folded it over the bulb. Bulbs came out with no issues! Just had to remove from bulb before tape was on the bulb too long and wouldn't come off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't Break them, and what to do if you do!

Here are some pictures.
If anyone is thinking about this mod do it, it is easy. Took me less than 14 minutes start to finish, including taking pictures.
License plate lights - start by removing the trunk lid liner.

Then remove wire harness and release light unit and remove from car.

Once out, remove foam gasket and use small screwdriver to pry out the clear lense.

Just pull out old bulb and replace with LED, remember to test light before reassembly. LED's will only work 1 way

To change the reading lights in the front and rear.

Pry out lens from the outer edge with a small screwdriver

Lens will swivel on 2 plastic hinges.

Just pull out bulbs and replace.

The rears are the same concept except that the lenses are held on with 4 hook type clips on each corner, just use a small screwdriver on the front and rear edges to pry out the lens.

Door lights.

Use small screwdriver on top of lens and to the outer edge to pry unit out of the door.

Again, a plastic clip holds the wire harness in, just depress the center to release.

The door lights have a clear plastic shield over the bulbs, to release the shield use a small screwdriver to push a large clip inwards and upwards, then pull on the shield to release.

I also changed out the trunk light, the cover just pulls of with a little force.

I will be doing the vanity lights on Sunday, I'll post some pics of this later.

Also, here is a pic of the reversing camera with the LED's fitted.
The above post was so helpful, but I have read a few people including myself have broken the License Lamp Assy.
I want to add a few things to help you out if you intend on replacing these lamps.
1st the License plate lamps can come out without removing the whole assembly. Just read you owners manual to remove the lens cover.
But if for some reason you want to take the whole assembly out here are a few tips and pictures to help.

If you end up breaking one as I first did, you can get them on line at a few different stores. Just Google this part number: 81270-06030 I pick mine up after a trip to the Toyota Dealership where they were nice enough to look up the part number, but did not have any in stock. They also wanted a lot more money then I found them on line at ToyotaPartsEast.com

Hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
my phone camera sucks, it doesn't do the LED interior lights justice whatsoever.

installing it was tough, it was my first time ever. i purchased AGT LED bulbs from SpeedShop on Amazon, shipping was super fast because I'm located a couple of cities away. sadly, there was a bulb where the contact ( + & - ) was twisted together -.-'' . that blew out my fuse 4 x . luckily my co-worker had spare 7.5A fuses >.> . i didn't even find out the contacts were twisted until i tested the LED bulb with a computer power supply, when i pushed the switch to turn it on, it sparked and blew out, i removed the cap and witnessed the two contacts being twisted together.

removing the map light was difficult in the beginning, especially because on the left map light, i pushed the black cap that the bulb was connected into off the green board it was secured upon, and it was a pain in the ass trying to get the black cap back onto the green board.

i'm not sure if your finger can fit but , you can use double sided tape, put it on each end of your chosen fingers to pull out the bulb, or use thin pliers and double sided tape to firmly grip the bulb, and pull down. i found it greatly easy for me.

other than that, everything went well. i have another camry se 2012 in the household, and when i changed those lights, it took me like 5 minutes because i had all the tools necessary and the experience. i also barely realized the SE wasn't the same thing as mine because I have a sunroof and this SE does not, now i have to purchase a festoon LED =P . thank you for posting a direct link to a festoon LED bulb on amazon !

for the the license plate lights, you can use a HEX screw driver, the smallest size? there are two hex holes on each end of the cover plate on the license plate, i used the right side hex hole on both cover license plate lights, and i was able to pop out the cover light easily, pull out the bulb and replace it without any level of stress. tested the LED before i put back the cover, and popped the covers back in.

anyone with a camry SE without sunroof , buy a festoon LED bulb not from ASIA yet?
this http://www.amazon.com/31mm-Festoon-White-DE3022-DE3175/dp/B004ZVXFZ2/ was suggested, how does that fit in your dome light?

if your black cap or bulb popped into your map light, maybe i can help you . let me know.

if you need pictures on how to pop out the license plate light covers, i can possibly take some photos showing how to pop it out.
hey, i was wondering when u stick the HEX screw driver in the hole, do you press in or turn side ways to let the cover pop out?
thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
install

whew, hot morning in so cal- OC.

couldn't sleep, I can thank the Lee's coffee from last night for that.

Received the AGT LED lights from Amazon, $8.99 plus the $5 shipping, got them in two days since seller was local.

-License plate lights- couldn't pop cover open, too scared to crack housing, will try again later. Too bad, these are the ones I want to see the most at night with new bulbs.

-Interior door driver/pass- easy peezy

-up front courtesy lights- easy, but i notice a slight bulge in the plastic housing due to bigger led footprint, anyone else notice?

-rear courtesy lights- easy, no bulging

-trunk- burned more calories changing this than a P90X workout. First the plastic clip is tricky, then the bulb is tricky because it's on while you're changing it. couldn't get a good grip to pry it down the slot, had to take a break and tried tape, no go. Melted because of heat. tried two fingers, nothing. Finally closed the trunk, let it cool off, popped it open and went right for the light before it got hot and was able to wiggle it free.

same issue with bulging on the trunk with the case closed, but its out of sight out of mind tucked under.

thanks everyone for all your tips and tutorials.

·
Registered
61 Posts
hey, i was wondering when u stick the HEX screw driver in the hole, do you press in or turn side ways to let the cover pop out?
thanks.

you stick the HEX screw driver into the hole , your push in so that it gets a firm tight fit into the hole, and you pry it out .

hmmm how to explain that.

ever open a can of paint? its like sticking that flat head under the cap to lift up. but for the license plate lights, you attempt to lift it to the right .

only 1 sides is needed to pop out

my explanation is terrible, let me know if you're having any more issues.

·
Registered
257 Posts
TustinCamry, what size led did you use for the trunk? An easier way to change the bulb is to remove the entire light. There are two clips on the right side of the light, just squeeze them together and the whole light will come down, then just unplug the light housing. I did this when installing a back up camera and could not get the bulb out and did not want it on while I had the trunk open for over an hour.

·
Registered
548 Posts
People the cage that covers the bulb in the trunk is not that difficult. its a small piece of plastic that hinges and snaps together. If you just stick your head in the trunk and look at it you will see that it's really easy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Installed LEDs inside my car today. SE without moonroof.

Didn't realize I needed a festoon bulb for one of the lights so I just ordered one. Super easy install, gonna look great at night!

Thanks to all those who posted tips on installing the LEDs.

121 - 140 of 401 Posts
About this Discussion
400 Replies
144 Participants
CorollaPants
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing