Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Changed the trunk light today. Took out the #194 and put in a WLED-xHP5 bulb from Superbrightleds.com. This is a 360 degree type bulb with 4 radial mounted LEDS and one end mounted LED. WOW what a difference. It's bright enough now to read a book in the trunk. I recommend this change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I completely regret trying to change out the glove compt. light. I took off the light and tried putting in the white 3mm LED I bought, I tested it and it worked. After trying to put in the wires and housing back in, I noticed that none of the lights on the dashboard work (the lighting behind where it says Audio, Track/Seek, Apps, etc... and the shifter lights.) I'm guessing I blew the fuse inside where the LED is, or something like that.

Gonna take the car to my mechanic on Tuesday and let him take care of it. What a PITA. :/

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think I'll wait until someone comes out with warm white LED replacement bulbs. Flashlights with warm white LEDs have been available for a while and have a much better color rendering index (truer colors) than the cold white LEDs. Most people that have seen the warm white LED flashlights say they will never go back to cold white flashlights.

·
ToyotaNation Member
21 Posts
I think I'll wait until someone comes out with warm white LED replacement bulbs. Flashlights with warm white LEDs have been available for a while and have a much better color rendering index (truer colors) than the cold white LEDs. Most people that have seen the warm white LED flashlights say they will never go back to cold white flashlights.
SuperbrightLEDs.com has alternative LED bulbs in "Warm White" (WW), versus the "Natural White" (NW) color, but they don't appear to be as bright.
Reference: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/miniature-wedge-base/

I did an older car (80's) with all WW on the interior, and it looks great.
I did the 2012 SE with NW ...and I'm still on the fence about it, but it does go better with the more contemporary look of a modern car. I do like the the white light effect on the door, though.

Oh, btw: The 5 light LEDs on the front overhead courtesy light is REALLY bright at night in a dark location, like, bothers your eyes to adjust that fast for that bright a light-too bright. I think I'll go to a slightly less brighter version eventually. (I also suspect my license plate lights are also way too bright with my LEDs, but I haven't checked it out yet.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I changed out all of the interior lights this weekend. I also added the HID head lights. Unforttunately, I broke one of the tabs on the license plate bulb holder. I squeezed the tab too hard and it snapped. I just ordered a new tab. The interior lights are great. Not too bright and the white looks more modern. The HID lights are much whiter in appearance. I am debating on whetehr or not I should get HID lights for the fogs. I am also looking into purchasing the OEM Toyota LED day time running lights. I found them at http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/collections/toyota-camry-accessories/products/00016-32280-toyota-camry-se-daytime-running-lights-led-2012 for $277. I also picked up a set of Toyota wheel locks. I think, that I am pretty much done with the Camry mods now.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
i just installed the LEds from Amazon and they look great. Love how the interior looks now. I think I'm going to order some for my Sequoia.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Many thanks to the OP and H9alyman for this great MOD thread and how-to.

I had a really tough time getting my bulbs out. Tried rubber/latex gloves, pliers. I even wrapped blue painters tape around my fingers to make 'em stickier. Bulbs were in really tight, driving me crazy! :headbang: Here's my tip for tight bulbs: What ended up working for me was dental floss. (I think any other very small string or thread will work also.) I slack-tied a loop with the floss, shimmied the loop with a small screwdriver over the bulb and up near where it curves in to the base, and tightened the loop. One pull and it popped out like a tooth!:thumbsup:

One question for you guys: I have SE I-4 base so no sunroof, which means my dome light uses a festoon bulb. Any of you have a non-sunroof and done the LED swap, and if so, what did you use? The 2011 non-sunroof uses a 3175/3022 31mm festoon, but I haven't been able to confirm in our 7th gen yet (will try to after work). Also, I wonder what LED will fit. There's tons of festoon LEDs on Amazon, and some have two, four, up to six diodes. Not sure what will fit width-wise.
I could use someone like you in my office

·
Registered
23 Posts
Okay, so I just finished the LED swap interior of everything. My SE does not have vanity lights, so poor me.

I have fat oompa loompa hands and was not able to grasp the oem bulbs to save my life. I tried putting on gloves and still was not able to get a good grip on the thing. I ended up using needle nose pliers, Irwin Vise-Grips to be exact, and gently pulled the suckers out. Worked like a charm.

Thanks to the gentleman who showed the video with the small allen wrench to open up the license plate lights. Worked flawlessly. I put the allen wrench on the outermost side hole and pulled inwards, and plopped them off.

I was very careful not to damage anything. Thanks everyone for sharing your secrets on how to do the swap. Needle nose pliers saved my life.

By the way, I bought the AGT Bulbs from Amazon.com from the seller SPEED SHOP. Fantastic speed of shipping/delivery and fantastic quality. It's a very bright clean white, no hint of blue at all. Very nice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What about the OEM stop bulbs replace it by LED'S?? i paint my tail's and the oem bulb seems week... any ideas? i saw a guy that replace it for led's 7w but i cant find his post.. 2012 LE

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think he's talking about the bulbs and not the lense housing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Purchased 20x 194 168 2825 5-SMD White High Power LED bulbs. Anyone know if there's a brighter LED bulb that I can use to install in the trunk?

·
2,435 Posts
141 - 160 of 401 Posts
About this Discussion
400 Replies
144 Participants
CorollaPants
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing