Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2018 SE a year ago. My wife and I both love the car. But about 6 months in we started noticing interior rattles. They've steadily have gotten worse. It's been into the dealership 3 times. This last time they made some progress. But the dash still has rattles driving down the road. Anyone else battling this issue?

·
Registered
2018 Camry SE
9 Posts
My Camry SE interior rattles and it drives me insane! As of last month theres a new rattling noise coming from the front passenger side door/roof side.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Camry SE interior rattles and it drives me insane! As of last month theres a new rattling noise coming from the front passenger side door/roof side.

My roof rattles also, it’s directly above the visor. It drives me absolutely crazy. I tried getting it looked at at the dealer, but my appointment was too late in the day and the service advisor said they wouldn’t have enough time to “take the headliner off if needed.”

My next appointment is coming up soon and I’m going to have them look this time. I’ll keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Camry SE
9 Posts
My roof rattles also, it’s directly above the visor. It drives me absolutely crazy. I tried getting it looked at at the dealer, but my appointment was too late in the day and the service advisor said they wouldn’t have enough time to “take the headliner off if needed.”

My next appointment is coming up soon and I’m going to have them look this time. I’ll keep you posted.

I live in New York and have driven my car more than 65K miles: 80% city/20% highway driving. After hitting numerous potholes over the past years I've sort of given up lol. Last month after I hit a pot hole I started hearing weird noises every time i turn the steering wheel 0_o

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got rid of a good percentage of mine by using the sticky backed felt pads. The glovebox door, the two front oh shit handles, and the plastic in front of the main instrument display. There are still more to get, but that probably stopped 75%

·
16' Camry SE & 18' Camry XSE
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
664 Posts
I've had no rattles at all after 6,300 miles in an '18 LE. Havn't encountered any potholes yet.
What is your production date? Mine is 08/18. No rattles in mine in 1500 miles but I've had it only for 3 weeks or so.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
could it just be weather related? cold making plastic act a funny way ?
There are so many possible sources of rattles, but I was happy when I discovered the cause of mine was the cold weather combined with two plastic pieces up on the front right dash, where it intersects right by the lower windshield on the passenger side. There's a tiny gap between the pieces and the noise was fixed by putting anything in between it or tape on it. I don't know if that helps anyone but it took over a week for me to figure it out.

For what it's worth, mine is a 2018 SE also.

·
16' Camry SE & 18' Camry XSE
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
664 Posts
There are so many possible sources of rattles, but I was happy when I discovered the cause of mine was the cold weather combined with two plastic pieces up on the front right dash, where it intersects right by the lower windshield on the passenger side. There's a tiny gap between the pieces and the noise was fixed by putting anything in between it or tape on it. I don't know if that helps anyone but it took over a week for me to figure it out.

For what it's worth, mine is a 2018 SE also.
A picture pointing to the area would be great for us who might be in same situation.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Camry XSE V6
84 Posts

Mine rattles at well. Just had the sun visor replaced and it stopped rattling. The door mirror of the sun visor was loose

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would say mine has a similar problem but its more of a ticking noise while on uneven roads or going over bumps. Hear them from the rear passenger area. I only hear them when its cold outside though.

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
60 Posts
I haven't encountered any rattles in my 18 Hybrid LE with almost 17,000 miles on it. I thought I had acquired a rattle in the roof one time while going over coarse pavement, but it turned out to be the sunglasses rattling in the sun glass holder.

Mine has a production date of March 2018.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Noticed a new rattle coming from the passenger front door area. Can hear it when driving on uneven surfaces.

I tried lightly punching the plastic parts of the door to see if it was just something just came loose. Still got it the noise this morning.

If I opened the window a bit, the sound seems to disappear, wonder if window related? Also Thought it might be the plastic part for adjusting the seat belt shoulder strap on the pillar as that piece easily wiggles around too.

·
Registered
Camry LE 19
178 Posts
My 19 LE is just hit 6 months on 6k miles and car still drives smoother than a silk. I think LE models show difference then SE models as far as ride and comfort inside and out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2018 SE Hybrid, built in June 2018. It developed two rattles within a month or two. One is to my left, roughly in the B pillar area, and the other is to my right-front, around the center of the dashboard or maybe a bit right of the center.

For my first service at six months in, the tech said he couldn't reproduce the rattles, so I rode shotgun with him and found a road that causes the rattling to be loud enough that he could hear them (it has a lot of small surface imperfections). However, he said that they weren't loud enough at the time to warrant taking the car apart to diagnose and fix them, especially because taking everything apart could in turn lead to more rattles. That last point is fair, I suppose.

Nonetheless, they've only gotten worse, and there's a third one now, behind the gauges. The car has just over 5k miles, and it's mostly traveled over decent roads and without having gone over any nasty potholes.

These rattles are definitely one of my least favorite things about the car, which I otherwise really like and am pretty happy with.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The last 2 weeks or so I've been getting some rattles on mine by the center console area. If I rip out the "S" shaped trim and put it back in it fixes it for a few days, but I don't know how many times I want to keep doing that for. I'm in the middle of soundproofing my car, so hopefully once I finish it in a few weeks it'll stop..

·
Registered
591 Posts
When I bought mine last October, initially I was into buying a demo SE. It looked fantastic on the dealer floor and it only had 11k kms and a good deal on it. So I agreed to buy it if the drive test goes well. Several days later they took it outside and it was ready for a drive. 5 minutes into the drive, the roof was creaking like crazy! I asked the guy what`s that all about and he just avoided to give me a good answer. We took it back at the dealer and a service guy looked at it. He said the roof liner has to go off and that they will install some shims between the roof sheet metal and the reinforcing structure. He also said Toyota is aware of this and that they specifically developed a shim kit for this repair. It had something to do with a very small space between the sheet metal and the bracing which comes in contact after the galvanization (too small tolerances).

I said them I`m not leaving there with a car taken apart and then put together.
I went into buying a new SE which had no roof creaking (and still hasn`t after 19k kms).

I have some small creaks here and there, but not always! I consider the interior pretty well put together.
The right side door panel rattles because of the speaker...but I think i have a solution for that.

Someone mentioned cold weather. I live in Canada so we have that!
The SE door seals are creaking against the door itself when weather is changing (going from above 0 to sub 0 Celsius) but the creaking stops when the materials are settling for low temps.
The water from the rear window drips down when using the defroster. That water becomes ice in the lower part of the window and accumulates at the contact with the trunk lid. That ice is creating creaking sounds because the trunk lid vibrates. Again, too small tolerances...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Noticed a new rattle coming from the passenger front door area. Can hear it when driving on uneven surfaces.

I tried lightly punching the plastic parts of the door to see if it was just something just came loose. Still got it the noise this morning.

If I opened the window a bit, the sound seems to disappear, wonder if window related? Also Thought it might be the plastic part for adjusting the seat belt shoulder strap on the pillar as that piece easily wiggles around too.
I have the same problem with the window rattling thing. If you roll down your window half way and try to wiggle it, you can see if the glass is little lose or not from all the potholes. I can literally feel it moving. I am going to be opening the door trims to install new speakers soon and along with new speakers also install sound deadening sheets. I am pretty sure i will find something lose in there because of the damm huge ass potholes in NY/NJ area.

Also, sometimes if have sun glasses in the holder above, they tend to make lot of noises too. So just check for those as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts