Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Avalon Touring. The interior sliding cover for the sunroof opens by itself a couple of inches when driving. Has to be road vibration and not a good tight fit. I've had my headliner replaced a couple of times already(kept falling...at rear of sunroof).
Anybody else with this annoyance?

·
14TAH Touring 10 TundraDC
2014 TAH Touring
393 Posts
No but had my headliner repaired once at the 5k oil change with added Velcro. Totally useless repair. The headliner does not fit properly and the added Velcro does not hold the sunroof to the roof, it's fit is too tight for the curve of the roof. So for 2014 they did not fix the headliner issues. Still falls down. Check your headliners just behind the sunroof, most folks I bet don't realize it, but it has fallen down about a half inch. Poor design. I'll be taking mine in at the 10k oil change to have a second repair attempt made. The first time the mechanic got grease all over the headliner as well as the door and steering wheel. I waited about 45 minutes while their detailer cleaned all the grease off. Sad lack of care for the customer car. Somehow the service survey never came from Toyota. Bad enough the headliner is falling down on a $36k car. I never had this problem in any of my Camry's. My Lumbar support adjustment does not work right either. You push the button for up down, or in out and it just kind of wiggles around. Dealer says they can't find anything wrong. The one I test drove was working correctly. They said to try a new one when I come in again to see if it's different. I might try another dealer for service, or another manufacturer for my next car.

OP, so far my shade closes and stays closed. We'll see as the Service hacks try to fix the poorly designed headliner.

·
Registered
2013 Avalon Limited
112 Posts
Mine opens about 1cm after a bit of driving and sometimes vibrates when going over bumps on the road. Maybe adding some thick tape to the area where the cover meets the headliner will make it a tighter fit.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,296 Posts
Mine has never opened. I wonder if this issue is indicative of improper headliner installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Headliner doesn't look like it is sagging like in another post, but I was told it couldn't be fixed. Now I may need to do some work on my own to verify.

Thanks,

·
Registered
24 Posts
The dealer did the Velcro add on mine and that helps keep it in place most of the time. They did add two steps on top of each other nearest to the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
2014 AHXLE TOURING
448 Posts
I have a 2014 Avalon Touring. The interior sliding cover for the sunroof opens by itself a couple of inches when driving. Has to be road vibration and not a good tight fit. I've had my headliner replaced a couple of times already(kept falling...at rear of sunroof).
Anybody else with this annoyance?
I have a 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring that I have had for 22 months. No headliner issue so far but the interior sliding cover for the sunroof has always opened just slightly by itself but in the last couple of days it is opening more. I can see that it is going to be a problem. Do you or does anyone know if Toyota has come up with a fix for it?

·
Registered
2013 Avalon Hybrid
79 Posts
I know this is an old thread, sorry .

One thing I don't really like about the 2013 TAH is the cheap sliding sunroof cover. My 1999 is so much better and adds to the sound proofing the ride.

Also seems to be a big difference on the amount of the open tilt . Not much on the 2013.

·
PJSMITH
TAH LTD Tech
1,489 Posts
it's common to have it slide a little. if it opens the toyota guys have a fix. Velcro.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon XLE Prem
238 Posts
Mine doesn't slide open on its own, but it has a slight stain, which appears to be just due to water from someone leaving the sunroof open during a rain before I got the car. It's hard to see, nobody else notices it. But, I know it's there and it bugs the crap out of me. I haven't found a way to eliminate it.

There's no other damage. I'd imagine it's a chore to replace it.

·
Registered
2014 AHXLE TOURING
448 Posts
Mine doesn't slide open on its own, but it has a slight stain, which appears to be just due to water from someone leaving the sunroof open during a rain before I got the car. It's hard to see, nobody else notices it. But, I know it's there and it bugs the crap out of me. I haven't found a way to eliminate it.

There's no other damage. I'd imagine it's a chore to replace it.
I had to have Toyota service department put a shim kit in the welds of my sunroof. Defect in the manufacturing process that showed up 5 years later. The repairmen got the inside of the sliding cover dirty because they were not careful. I chose to remove the stains myself. They screwed it up once and I didn't want them to do it again. I have used Gonzo stain remover for years. I used that and it removed all the stains. You can buy this product on Amazon. It is not expensive. Carefully follow directions if you use it. Just dampen a white cloth and carefully rub the stain. It may or may not remove a water stain. I would give it a try.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,494 Posts
^ There is another good and cheap cleaner that so far passed every test with flying colors- TuffStuff.

Easy to use and it cleans even old stains.

???
Could someone tell me if a headliner's front edge of the sunroof opening clips onto a black plastic rail under the front edge of the sunroof ? Could you pull down the front edge of the sunroof opening down even a bit or it's tight and don't go down at all? Or do you have a headliner fabric on top of the plastic rail? If you open your sunroof sliding cover you should feel the headliner fabric on top of the bar.

I have a suspicion that that my headliner is not installed properly. There is a U-shaped lip on the front edge of the sunroof opening that imo should be clipped onto a rail or bar under the roof. The U-shaped edge of the headliner in my car sits exactly under and just 1/4" behind that rail and both look like they designed to be locked together. If I pull the headliner down it easily goes 2-3" and imo it ain't right.

·
Registered
2014 AHXLE TOURING
448 Posts
^ There is another good and cheap cleaner that so far passed every test with flying colors- TuffStuff.

Easy to use and it cleans even old stains.

???
Could someone tell me if a headliner's front edge of the sunroof opening clips onto a black plastic rail under the front edge of the sunroof ? Could you pull down the front edge of the sunroof opening down even a bit or it's tight and don't go down at all? Or do you have a headliner fabric on top of the plastic rail? If you open your sunroof sliding cover you should feel the headliner fabric on top of the bar.

I have a suspicion that that my headliner is not installed properly. There is a U-shaped lip on the front edge of the sunroof opening that imo should be clipped onto a rail or bar under the roof. The U-shaped edge of the headliner in my car sits exactly under and just 1/4" behind that rail and both look like they designed to be locked together. If I pull the headliner down it easily goes 2-3" and imo it ain't right.
I have a 2014 Avalon XLE Touring Hybrid. The inside sunroof cover does not clip on to the black rail. It doesn't clip on to anything. When I slide it closed it just slides closed over headliner fabric. It has started to open slightly but not to the point that I see light. I went to Jo Ann Fabrics and bought some small round pieces of Velcro and put 4 of them on the headliner fabric and the sunroof cover and pulled the sunroof cover closed on the Velcro. It worked but I could not open the sunroof which was fine with me. I was afraid that in the future when I took the car in for service that someone might started playing around with the sunroof and damage the cover trying to open it. I took a pair of sharp nosed pliers and pulled the small Velcro pads off. When I pulled the pads off some of the glue was left on the cover and headliner fabric which worked great. Now when I close the cover the glue keeps the cover from creeping open but when I want to open the cover I can do so easily. Good fix.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,494 Posts
^ After comparing that U-shaped edge of the headliner and plastic bar under the front edge of the sunroof I decided to try to clip headliner on the rail. In order to move the headliner back a little I had to pull down top of front and rear door seals and remove front ceiling handles and drop ceiling control console. Well, it clipped like they were born for each other, no force was needed and they locked very easy but tight.

Before, my headliner and sunroof sunshade cover were vibrating a little on rough pavements and rail road crossings, I even placed are few packing foam strips between the headliner and wire harness and in a few other places to fix vibration and light rattle. Now the whole front and mid section of the headliner is tight and makes no vibration even without foam pieces. The front edge of the sunroof opening is locked and can not be pulled down like before. The gap between the headliner and sunshade cover got smaller and neater and the sunshade locks in closed position more secure and doesn't vibrate at all. All mounting holes for sun visors, ceiling handles etc. aligned just fine and the position of the headliner didn't change at all.

I'm still not sure if these parts were designed to be locked like that, but even if they were not, I like the result much better that the factory style. The edge of the U-shaped edge of the headliner covered with a plastic U-channel and look neat and OEM 100%, but there a two small like 1.5" long where the headliner edges are exposed and unprotected. I'm going to seal them with cleat silicone and see if I can find some similar looking U-channel to cover them up to make it look neater.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts