Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can a 2013 Highlander with less than 50,000 miles have a problem with the Intermediate Steering Shaft. Surely this is a defect but Toyota refuses to acknowledge it, but replaces the bad shaft with a new redesigned shaft at an expense of approximately $450. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
7,781 Posts
It's a known issue (as far as I know) but it is not enough for a recall. I believe it may be replaced under warranty but do not take me on that.

T-SB-0034-13

TSB = Known issue but has a low chance of death
Recall = This will have a higher chance of death

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
526 Posts
Mileage isn't the only factor for things failing. Your car could also be as much as 7 years old and time is never a car's friend. My 11 started doing the clunk at 60k . I unbolted the shaft up by the wheel, injected some grease into the shaft and did the compress and expand thing a few times. It's been fine ever since.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,063 Posts
Yeah, a noisy part with zero chance of failure is not going to warrant a recall. “Has it ever happened to anyone else?” Never heard of this problem. :liar:

·
Registered
6 Posts
How can a 2013 Highlander with less than 50,000 miles have a problem with the Intermediate Steering Shaft. Surely this is a defect but Toyota refuses to acknowledge it, but replaces the bad shaft with a new redesigned shaft at an expense of approximately $450. Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes, I should be a recalled from toyota but not. I have a problem and this week I'll be replacing it. 2011 Hlander SE, 93000 miles.

·
2012 Kluger (Japan) 3.5V6
2012 Oz Kluger (jap)
24 Posts
Start small and save $. Try loosening and retighten the 2 bolts that secure the shaft. I just put in 2 new bolts and it worked for my '12HL and has for many others. Loose or worn bolts allow the shaft to slip and create the knocking sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts