Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with intermittent dash lights. The full panel lights up at ignition, then goes out. Sometimes it stays on for a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. The backup/brake lights are not affected. I'm thinking it could be a loose connection.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Pull the speedometer bezel off, there's I believe 1 screw and 3 tabs holding the cluster on, check pin connector on the back, if not verify battery connections are secure and free of deposits/other crap

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,676 Posts
Check your fuses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull the speedometer bezel off, there's I believe 1 screw and 3 tabs holding the cluster on, check pin connector on the back, if not verify battery connections are secure and free of deposits/other crap
I will try this!!

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,676 Posts
Under the dash by the coin pocket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried this. The screw just rotated and didn't come out. Wondering if the thread was stripped by the prior owner.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,676 Posts
Sounds like a ground issue to me, but I'd double check the fuse.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,676 Posts
I tried this. The screw just rotated and didn't come out. Wondering if the thread was stripped by the prior owner.
To get the screw loose, you need to pull down the cluster trim enough to stick long needle nose pliers to squeeze the legs of the clip closed to back the screw out. I had to do this to remove mine. Good thing it's just one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To get the screw loose, you need to pull down the cluster trim enough to stick long needle nose pliers to squeeze the legs of the clip closed to back the screw out. I had to do this to remove mine. Good thing it's just one.
Gracious, please translate. What and where is the cluster trim?

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,676 Posts
Let's say it's a ground issue. How would I check that?
Need pinout of the connector and trace wiring for rubbing on the frame of dash.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,676 Posts
Gracious, please translate. What and where is the cluster trim?
The trim is around the cluster. There's one screw at the top securing the black trim.

To access the back side of the clip, you grab the top of the trim and use a flat non marring tool to create space to fit pliers inside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts