Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2010 Matrix 2.4L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2010 Matrix XRS. When I bought it I noticed it had some history codes which is normal for newer cars that have aged so I just cleared them. Usually replacing the battery or having a dying battery makes the cars ECM go nuts and trip codes.

Yesterday I was idling my car in my driveway looking at the live data and something very weird happened.

The OBD2 port lost power which turned the scan tool off, the RPM gauge dropped to zero even though the engine was still running fine. Either the gas, ECT gauge, or both, did the same but I don't remember which one. The EMPS light turned on then turned off seconds later. The ABS, VSC off, and slip indicator turned on and would not turn off until the car was restarted. All the gauges & OBD2 port would work again seconds later just like the EMPS light. The ABS, VSC off, and slip lights only turn off when you turn off the car. They do not come back when I turn on car back on and everything works normally. I don't even have to clear the codes. There was even an immobilizer code but it cleared itself so fast I wasn't able to take a picture of it.
All these codes have something to do with loss of communication and this happened before when I stalled the car by dropping the clutch out too fast a week ago.

It says history which explains why the electronic power steering light went out seconds after coming on.

The ABS ones say current but if I clear them they don't come back unless the issue happens again. The ABS lights and others don't come back either even if I don't clear the codes.

This CAN system is proving itself to be a real pain in the ass. I already miss the simplicity of my 22 year old Land Cruiser's ECM.

What could be wrong? I originally thought it would be something to do with the ABS unit but since everything is going nuts I'm unsure now.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

· Registered
2010 Matrix 2.4L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem ended up being something as stupid as a corroded positive terminal. I could not see the corrosion because of the plastic cover on the terminal but once I removed it and thoroughly cleaned it the problems went away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.