Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an ongoing problem that first appeared in February 2009 and disappeared all on it's own before reappearing twice in the last 2 days:

Everything will be perfectly normal and then suddenly, while driving down the street:

- Speedometer suddenly either shows 0 MPH or swings widly to 20-30MPH OVER actual.

- Shifting becomes erratic, often downshifting into first and staying there regarding of engine RPM or apparent torque on the drive-train

- O/D light blinks once about every two seconds.. no pattern discernable.

The above symptoms will flicker and and off. For a half second, speedo registers, it shifts to correct gear, O/D light doesn't flash. It will go back and forth unpredicably for up to 20 minutes or so.

Then as suddenly as the problem appeared, it will randomly go back to all systems normal for the remainder of my commute. :headbang:

Doesn't seem to be effected by bumps or any other motion (though it COULD be my imagination, but seems to be worse on upward inclines).

This would seem to be an electrical issue of some sort, but I'm not sure where to start with this.

Anybody else experienced this issue and was able to solve it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1.) Would the solenoids affect the speedometer as well?
2.) I already replaced the ATF in the diff, though I should mention that this problem first appeared about 2,000 miles after I had done that job. I double-checked recently to make sure the level was correct and it was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toyota Camry Speedometer problem

I'm having the exact same experience with a Camry wagon, 6 cylinder. What did it take to fix lyour car?

·
Toyota Collector
12,016 Posts
I'm having the exact same experience with a Camry wagon, 6 cylinder. What did it take to fix lyour car?
I believe the speed sensor itself was bad, he talks about it here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the speed sensor. Once it stopped being intermittent, the sensor finally failed a bench test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts