Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has 111,000 miles and for a few months after starting the car and driving off, the VSC light will come on and stays on until the engine is shut down. Sometimes it doesn’t come on. Always is off after first starting the vehicle. This seems to be outside the norm for questions of this type - which are engine check light also comes on or VSC light flashes. Vehicle seems to run fine. Haven’t checked for codes - my code reader was kaput last time I tried to used it.

I know I will probably have to take to the dealer but would at least like to better understand the issue so they don’t just go on a parts changing expedition. Anyone have any ideas? Or I’m fairly handy with maintenance if something I can figure out myself.

thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just ran a short errand in the car - on the trip out the light did not come on. i experimented at a stop with pushing the VSC button off and back on - worked fie. On the way back the light came on. Pushing the off/on button didn’t change it.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
528 Posts
Without reading the code there is no way to know what the problem is. Could be a failing sensor or a failing computer. Could be corrosion or bad wiring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try cleaning (all 4) wheel sensor connectors with contact cleaner. I have cured a few with intermittent problems that way....or if you notice it seems to come on when turning front wheels just do those and re-test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I’ll try that. I haven’t been able to isolate exactly what I’m doing when the light pops on but I have suspected it’s when I turn the wheels sharply or turn and brake.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sure, some vehicles it can be done without jacking it up, Just turn lock to lock. They also have a product in parts houses that you apply to terminals to make a better connection, never tried it though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. I have some conductive grease for electrical connections. The product is probably something like that. About due for a tire rotation anyway so I may just get out the jacks and go at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I finally got around to rotating the tires and pulled and cleaned the ABS sensors on the front. The light coming on seemed to have some relation to steering inputs so I figured it might be up front. One was pretty gunked up so I hoped that might be all it was - but it didn't help any.

So rather than guess and chase around I decided to get a new ODB scanner to replace my old, broken one and see if it could pin point which sensor was giving me a problem.

Bought a AUTEL scanner than handles ABS stuff and tried it out today and ran into another issue. The only codes it published were with the steering.

C1 433 Steering Angle Sensor Internal Circuit
C1 439 Steering Angle Initialization Incomplete

Apparently these are Toyota specific codes - is that right. Haven't been able to find anything in a quick search on the Internet. I also haven't looked around for a computer with a DVD tray to look on their CD they included with the scanner. I'm gathering that as the computer is monitoring wheel rotation it also gets input from the steering input to combined with it.

If anyone is familiar with these codes and has an idea of what I might be dealing with I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can also test the ABS sensors at their connectors, an analog meter works best, but a DVM can due in a pinch, looking for intermittent loss of signal from sensor. Isolate from ABS circuit, connect meter to pins, turn wheel and watch signal, check all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you think about the steering angle sensor codes? If an ABS sensor was acting up, wouldn’t it set a code for it? Looks like this OBD tester I have can reset the steering angle sensor. But I don’t have any steady lights. I just made a 6-7 mile trip for some takeout and it wasn’t until I returned and turned to pull into my garage that the VSC light popped on. I

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not familiar with codes. I come from a time prior to all that..(old). I was thinking they used the changes in tire rotation to sense steering angle. May be people on here that have much more knowledge about electronics like funman or greasymechanictech. If you could find the rotation sensor on the steering shaft you could do the same cleaning of the connector and possibly test it also. I suppose it could be on the rack also. Seems these vehicles have known issues with that shaft but I have only read about mechanical type problems and knocking noises. Which could also translate to sensor issues. Good Luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts