Toyota Nation Forum banner

Intermittently frozen serpentine belt.

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  pulsewave99 
#1 ·
I drove the truck for some errands, started it back up to a huge belt squeal sound. Took a look and the serpentine belt was frozen. Waited a few minutes, started back up again, belt spinning again, moderate amount of squeal.

I loosened the belt tensioner and turned each pulley by hand. All pulleys (prw steering, alternator, ac, and the water pump) turned easily. I didn't feel any particular tension on any of them.

Started it back up, and there's a continual high pitched squeal (no too loud). Belt still spinning.

Any thoughts on what it might be? Would an intermittently frozen tensioner actually stop the serpentine? Or would another component intermittently go frozen??

Sequoia 2002

#6 ·
The pulleys fail after around 10-15 years. I replaced mine and it fixed the issue.

Keep in mind there are 2 tensioner pulley sizes used on the 2UZFE. One is obviously larger. The problem is parts websites often list both pulleys for a particular model. You can usually look at a picture and tell but its definitely something to keep in mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.