Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in South Louisiana, and while searching the internet site of Hampton Toyota I found a Toy Tacoma 4dr DC SR5 with a list price of 25450. When I went to see the vehicle, it had another dealer sticker on the side of the MSRP and now the price was 28101.

Has anyone heard of a Dealer Adjustment Value? The salesperson said that it was extra accessories, but I could not find the extra accessories. $99 for a custom stripe, but there was no stripe on the vehicle.

I have never heard of this DAV..but all the Toyota Trucks on the lot had one and it ranged from 600dllrs to 1800 dllrs.

Has anyone seen this, and if so what is the explanation for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go to another dealer...I bought mine from Courtesy Toyota in Tampa, and not only did I get it for less than sticker, they even gave me $1,000 over book for my trade so I could pay off the old loan. Even got a card for a second free tank of gas! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
TampaSteve said:
Go to another dealer...I bought mine from Courtesy Toyota in Tampa, and not only did I get it for less than sticker, they even gave me $1,000 over book for my trade so I could pay off the old loan. Even got a card for a second free tank of gas! :thumbsup:
wow...i shoulda went to FL. to by mine...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh by no means am I buying from Hampton Toyota....just the thought that they would add on another 1500 dllrs to a vehicle, identifying it as Dealer Adjustment Value, is offending.
When I approached the salesperson and told him how the internet/sticker price was different, he began to come off the listed price...basically bringing it down to the original MSRP.
I guess he thought that if he took the entire DAV off the price, then it would appear that I am getting a good deal....
Secondly, as soon as I got to the dealership and started looking at the Tacomas...the salesman lured me inside and wanted to run my credit score to see what I could afford...STOPPED...WALKED OUT!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I spent a lot of time working online to buy my Taco. Went through edmund's, spec'd the vehicle and submitted it for bids. I got 5 replies. Some dealers just wanted to spam me with lots of big text, colors, etc about how I'd pay to much if I didn't deal with The Internet Guys at blah blah delearship. Other dealers kept trying to make me a deal on vehicles with minor hail damage but not the right colors, options, etc. Also shopped online with a couple of out of area dealers.

The one that got my business asked a few clarifying questions, took a few emails to find the right vehicle options. Price was about $400 over invoice and simple to do. First time on the dealer's lot was to pick up my truck (after a wait of 5 weeks for it to be delivered which seemed like forever). Maybe I could have gotten it for a little less but with only 3 in the Chicago region in Sept-October I would have had to wait until December for the next suitable vehicle.

2006 Silver Streak DC SB
TRD offroad
Tow package

Check the prices paid and experiences forum at edmund's: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef04ad5!make=Toyota&model=Tacoma&ed_makeindex=.ef04ad5

·
Registered
18 Posts
str8up50 said:
Oh by no means am I buying from Hampton Toyota....just the thought that they would add on another 1500 dllrs to a vehicle, identifying it as Dealer Adjustment Value, is offending.
When I approached the salesperson and told him how the internet/sticker price was different, he began to come off the listed price...basically bringing it down to the original MSRP.
I guess he thought that if he took the entire DAV off the price, then it would appear that I am getting a good deal....
Secondly, as soon as I got to the dealership and started looking at the Tacomas...the salesman lured me inside and wanted to run my credit score to see what I could afford...STOPPED...WALKED OUT!!!
Yeah, that whole "run your credit first" is annoying as hell...I always tell them, "Look, when I find the vehicle I want at a fair price, then and only then I will fill out the credit app. I'm not gonna burn an inquiry on my credit report for nothing if you don't have what I want."

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
That is called a "bump sticker", and a LOT of car dealers use them. Anything over and above the MSRP on the original factory sticker is pure, 100% profit.

There's nothing illegal about it. The benefit to the dealership is that it allows them to show more value for your trade-in without it affecting their profit on the vehicle. Then, when you shop another dealer that doesn't use bump stickers, they offer you a couple grand less for your trade-in, and you're right back at the first dealership, ready to do business, when, in reality, you aren't getting any better deal.

Do your homework, and determine what the trade-difference should be, and shop with that number in mind. If your fair trade-difference is $10,000, then it doesn't matter if the sticker says $150,000, so long as they give you $140,000 for your trade.

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
10SE said:
That is called a "bump sticker", and a LOT of car dealers use them. Anything over and above the MSRP on the original factory sticker is pure, 100% profit.

There's nothing illegal about it. The benefit to the dealership is that it allows them to show more value for your trade-in without it affecting their profit on the vehicle. Then, when you shop another dealer that doesn't use bump stickers, they offer you a couple grand less for your trade-in, and you're right back at the first dealership, ready to do business, when, in reality, you aren't getting any better deal.

Do your homework, and determine what the trade-difference should be, and shop with that number in mind. If your fair trade-difference is $10,000, then it doesn't matter if the sticker says $150,000, so long as they give you $140,000 for your trade.
Also called "Dealer Mark-Up" over here.

·
Registered
773 Posts
a deal, is only a deal if it gives you the warm fuzzies.... there is no definite price, only suggested retail. they can sell it at a loss if they want to. bait and switch only occours if you pay for something and receive less than you paid for.... the job of the sales team is to seperate you from your money, and watch the finance guy he's the one who actually inks the deal and offers things like additional warranties. $$$$$ i paid just under list including tax tag and title, as have others who shop, put $'s down, and wait. even with $ down, unless there's a vin# on your contract. you've puchased nothing. but have a promise to deliver in a reasonable amount of time.... with no delivery, you get a refund, but a dealer is highly motivated to deliver what you want with money down they hate to loose a deal and return money...... be firm, your the one with the money they want. all the dealers can deliver the same vehicles. unless your credit's poor...... good luck..... watch the finance guys #'s, my guy tried to neglect the $1000.- down i put. once you sign for a vin #, thats the deal you've got.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a new Taco this week from a dealership in Maryland and got out the door 1500 less than invoice.

Trust me go somewhere else! Use the net to your advantage & always make them believe you have no problem walking away unless you get what YOU want within reason. Hell I waffled about 15 minutes and they agreed to take another $1000 off if I took delivery by Friday.

I ended up with this:

2006 Taco PreRunner 4X2 Double Cab
Black Sand Pearl

SR5 Package, convenience package, tow package and JBL stero upgrade

Out the door price:

$22,428.08 taxes, tags,...everything!

Invoice price was: $23,898.00

Just know your facts before you talk to them face to face.

Hope this helps.

·
Chuck Norris rules
2006 Tacoma
344 Posts
Greenbird said:
I just bought a new Taco this week from a dealership in Maryland and got out the door 1500 less than invoice.

Trust me go somewhere else! Use the net to your advantage & always make them believe you have no problem walking away unless you get what YOU want within reason. Hell I waffled about 15 minutes and they agreed to take another $1000 off if I took delivery by Friday.

I ended up with this:

2006 Taco PreRunner 4X2 Double Cab
Black Sand Pearl

SR5 Package, convenience package, tow package and JBL stero upgrade

Out the door price:

$22,428.08 taxes, tags,...everything!

Invoice price was: $23,898.00

Just know your facts before you talk to them face to face.

Hope this helps.

Great deal! Any pics? :clap:

·
Registered
11 Posts
decoy562 said:
Great deal! Any pics? :clap:
Trust me I can't wait to share with you guys. :cool:
This forum gave me more actual consumer opinion info than anywhere else.
Going to be shopping this Friday for my 1st digital camera so I should have them up by New years.
I may need some more advice when I do as I have never posted pics here before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Greenbird said:
Trust me I can't wait to share with you guys. :cool:
This forum gave me more actual consumer opinion info than anywhere else.
Going to be shopping this Friday for my 1st digital camera so I should have them up by New years.
I may need some more advice when I do as I have never posted pics here before.
Digital Camera? I have the Kodak V550 and I love it! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.