Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Park Ranging
2006 Toyota Tacoma
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any time I try to plug something into my stereo's auxiliary input that is being power by an inverter it ads a loud buzzing sound to the audio. I notice it mainly when I try to use my laptop. Without the laptop being plugged in, it makes no noise at all. As soon as I plug it into an inverter though, the noise starts. I think it is some sort of feedback because after a few seconds of being plugged in it will automatically turn off the factory inverter. Is there some sort of in-line filter I need to add?

·
Park Ranging
2006 Toyota Tacoma
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:bump:

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Powering audio equipment with an inverter is not a good idea. It's not clean power. It can cause noise.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access Cab
55 Posts
If you want to get rid of that buzzing noise getting pure sinewave power inverter might be the way to go.
They are designed to output the same quality current (or better) like from regular home outlet. Some power sensitive equipment may run properly only on this kind of inverters.
For more info check out this website: http://aimspowerinverters.com/_wsn/page3.html

·
Park Ranging
2006 Toyota Tacoma
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pb said:
Powering audio equipment with an inverter is not a good idea. It's not clean power. It can cause noise.
How should I go about powering my laptop then? I tried a ground loop isolator and it seemed to help a little, but the noise is still there.

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
I got a small 140w cigarette lighter inverter for my laptop from radio shack. It works great for just the laptop, but yes everyone else is right. A lot of inverters don't produce a true sinewave like generators at the powerplants do. Electronics can be very picky about these things and if you don't have the right stuff then they wont work properly. You need to find an inverter that is specifically ment to work with laptops and the like otherwise they could get fussy.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Pete78 said:
If you want to get rid of that buzzing noise getting pure sinewave power inverter might be the way to go.
They are designed to output the same quality current (or better) like from regular home outlet. Some power sensitive equipment may run properly only on this kind of inverters.
For more info check out this website: http://aimspowerinverters.com/_wsn/page3.html
Yeah, I would try a small pure sine wave inverter. You'll probably have to buy one online. Most retail stores don't carry those higher quality inverters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts