Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 tacoma 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I did the mod on 2006 taco.to make the dc to ac inverter so it is 400watts all the time, worked great. And added some outlets in the back of the console, nice idea. However, I did a little studding on this mod after my check engine light came on. So here is the question. Has any one figured out how to trick the inverter or get around the combination meter pulse that is going to the inverter? And what type of signal is going back to the ecu from the inverter to set the code, is that part of the can bus?
I know this is an old topic and have searched this site and several others for any info.

Thanks for any advice in advanced.

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
kmc,

Did you follow krookz' post carefully? It is here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284662

The speed sensor pulse comes down the violet/white wire that you cut. There should be no signal coming to the inverter. There is a black/white OUT wire that sends a signal to the ECU but I think that just tells it to idle the engine higher when the inverter is on. You should not get a CEL from this mod, I and many others did not. I'd check out the code its throwing and/or check over your wiring work one more time. Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
2006 tacoma 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks you for the help. After a lot of Google-ling about this mod before I tried it out. I never seen any problems posted. I did exactly as krookz' posted, I had the laptop in the truck with me. I cut and capped both ends of the V/W wire. The mod worked but my CEL came on a few hours latter (P1700 Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Fault). After reconnecting the wire my CEL is out. ( I have not yet reconnected the violet wire) As I disconnect and reconnect the V/W wire the CEL comes on and goes off, not immediately but shortly after. As for the Violet it is only to cut the inverter off while starting the engine. I couldn't get a consistent reading on the black/white wire that is going to the ECU.When the inverter is under a full load I've never hear the engine's idle change, full load meaning 500watt halogen shop light. I have sent krookz a message about this topic. looking at the electrical prints the violet/white wire coming from the speed control/combination meter is connected to a lot of components as if it is some sort of bus system which includes accessory meter, ECM, inverter, 4WD control ECU, tire pressure monitor ECU. My understanding is this V/W wire needs to send some sort of signal back to the speed control/combination meter from the inverter just as it tells the inverter to shut off when the truck moves. I'm curious if the V/W wire was cut say from the tire pressure monitor ECU. would it produce the same CEL code or something specific to the tire press. ECU.

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
kmc,

You're probably ahead of me here; I also have an 06 auto TRD and this didn't happen with mine. But here's what I think.

That V/W wire is just the output of the ECU to annouce vehicle speed to everything that needs to know it. So it goes to a lot of devices but I don't think it's a two-way bus or anything like that.

One thing that might have messed you up is if the cut V/W wire accidentally grounded itself against something. If you're sure that didn't happen, then you could also try something clever like grounding it through a high-value resistor, maybe 10K ohms, to try to fool it into thinking something was listening to it. But since most Tacos out there don't even have this wire it seems odd that you need it to keep the CEL off.

The V wire is the park/neutral switch wire. That's the signal that cuts off the inverter in drive before you accelerate.

That's all I have.

·
Registered
2006 tacoma 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am hopping tomorrow that I can get my hands on a Fluke scope metter and find out what kind of signal is really coming and going from the V/W wire and the blk/W wire that is going to the ECU. I will post what I find out.
So you are saying that your taco doesn't have the V/W wire at all? That may be why I don't see any inverter mods after 06. Maybe sometime in late 06 they added this lovely feature with the V/W wire to keep me form modifying the inverter. That is when I purchased my taco. It would be nice to know at what time of the year the new model is being launched.
Thanks again.
kmc1

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
No, I have the V/W wire. I just cut it and capped both ends. Worked for me. Mine is a pretty late 06, bought in May, FYI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts