Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to play my iPod hrough the cars speakers, what is the best way to do this. I have a 2006 Camry

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
PhantomGrey said:
Tape cassete adapter.
Tape casette adapter isn't the "best" way. You lose A LOT of sound quality through a tape adapter. An AUX adapter keep the music digital quality, and sound quality isn't lost.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
May not be the best way, but it's an alright way.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/smartdeck/

SmartDeck allows you to control your iPod using the built in controls of your cassette player.
Using patent-pending sensing technology, the SmartDeck determines which commands the cassette player sends to the iPod.
SmartDeck is more than just a cassette adapter for iPod; it achieves truly seamless integration between iPod and cassette deck. Use the cassette deck's forward and rewind buttons to advance to the next or prior songs in the iPod playlist. Pause and stop buttons do what pause and stop buttons are expected to do. Hit the cassette deck's Eject button or switch from Cassette to Radio, and Griffin's SmartPlay technology automatically pauses the iPod.
SmartDeck Q & A

How long is the SmartDeck's cable?
Approx. 4ft.
Is the SmartDeck compatible with all iPods?
SmartDeck's intelligent control capabilities are compatible with any dockable iPod except the 3rd Generation iPod with Touch Wheel (4G, iPod mini, iPod photo, iPod nano, and the new 5th Generation iPod with video are supported).
Does SmartDeck work with my steering wheel controls?
Any controls that will command your car's cassette deck will work with the SmartDeck.
Will SmartDeck cause my tape player to constantly auto-reverse?
No. SmartDeck is designed to act just like a real cassette tape, preventing unwanted auto-reversing.
Will SmartDeck display song information on my car stereo?
No. Unfortunately, cassette tape decks lack this ability.
Will SmartDeck support both front loading and side loading tape players?
Absolutely. SmartDeck has been tested in a variety of decks and has performed brilliantly.

Features

• SmartDeck Features and Benefits
  • Control iPod navigation through the car stereo
  • Intelligent level control for optimal cassette player input levels
  • Features highest-quality cassete tape head for crystal clear quality
  • Sets optimal volume on the iPod for best audio quality
  • Seamless integration between iPod and car stereo
  • Clear, high-quailty audio and iPod control together in one brainy cassette adapter. What more could you ask for?

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
I will break any ipod I see, i just dont like them. They are taking over the world, End Short rant.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
JSM1284 said:
I will break any ipod I see, i just dont like them. They are taking over the world, End Short rant.
I never liked iPods at first either. I thought it was all about hype and people get too obsessed with them and all. I went from a Sony Walkman CD Player to a Sandisk Sansa e250 and now an iPod Video. Well, the Sandisk broke so I needed a replacement, and I had to choose between the iPod Video, the Zune, and a Zen Micro Photo 8GB. I chose the iPod because the what I've heard from the Zune, that when you trade songs via Wi-fi, it only lasts 3 days or 3 plays, it was bulky, and it was hard to navigate using the buttons. Also, it has the same resolution as the iPod but on a slightly bigger, wider screen, so the video quality on the iPod is better. The Zen on the other hand, was cheap for its price but I read reviews about it breaking, and the controls suck. I purchased the iPod because there are many accessories for it, it's easy to use, and it's not as bulky as the Zune. Also, the video quality is better, and you can actually buy high quality videos from iTunes, unlike the Zune Marketplace, where all you can get are songs. However, the Zune does havea built in FM tuner that tells you what song is being played on the air. But yeah, so I bought the iPod, not because of hype or because other people like it. I bought it because it's a good buy for the money, it looks nice, simple to use, and there's a lot of stuff out there for it. And no, I didn't turn into some iPod obsessed person. Hahhaa. All I bought for it was an eVo3 case and that's it.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
CamrySExxx said:
^really...my 04 came with a cd player.......
I think he meant CD player with casette player built in.

My head unit plays CDs and casettes (not that I've even seen a casette in like 10 years... but thats beside the point).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I will get that thing white3chocolate was suggesting because I do not have a tape player in my car. How do I remove the radio from my car? Are there instuctions somewhere or do I need to take it in to a shop? And, white3chocolate, if you could provide a link to the cables you were referring to I would really appreciate it as I do not want to purchase the wrong item.

I saw an IPod2car adapter that plugs into the back of the radio, but the bestbuy person said it was only good for camrys up to 2005. Is this true? Is the 05 radio really different from the 06 radio?

Thanks a lot for the help :)

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
alexk3954 said:
Those cables will work, but those are pricey. You can get some generic ones from any Best Buy or Circuit City for much much cheaper and they'll work the same.

As far as what the Best Buy person said, before buying the USA-Spec AUX input, you should take your head unit out and check the back for an open port on the upper left corner.

If you look at the big grey wire, the white harness at the end of that is the one that goes into the AUX port... if you see something in the back there that look that, its probably it.

To take out the head unit, you first have to take a flathead screwdriver with some nylon over the tip (to avoid scratching your trim pieces) and pry out your HVAC controls.

After you take it out, don't pull too hard 'cause you're going to have to take out the 2 harnesses that are connected in the back. Don't worry about mixing them up because they're different sizes.

After that, starting from the bottom, with your fingers, remove the upper trim piece until all the clips come out... again, don't pull too hard 'cause you'll have to remove the harness for the clock.

You see those three gold-colored bolts? There's also one other one thats hidden on the other side in the pic. You have to remove those 4 bolts, and you can pull the head unit out.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
alexk3954 said:
Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it!
No prob. :) Let me know if you run into any trouble.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Or you could always buy a new headunit. Some companies offer an ipod adapter that hooks up to the back of the deck and allows you to control your ipod using the controls off the headunit, and it also charges your ipod when it is hooked up. I have the Pioneer one which works awesome. I can search by song, album, artist, genre, etc, using the controls off my deck while my ipod is locked in my glovebox. Other companies that offer this are Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, and i'm sure more but i just can't think of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Frank20 said:
Or you could always buy a new headunit. Some companies offer an ipod adapter that hooks up to the back of the deck and allows you to control your ipod using the controls off the headunit, and it also charges your ipod when it is hooked up. I have the Pioneer one which works awesome. I can search by song, album, artist, genre, etc, using the controls off my deck while my ipod is locked in my glovebox. Other companies that offer this are Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, and i'm sure more but i just can't think of them.
How much did you spend on your Headunit and the adapter?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts