Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual says that I don't need to change my iridium spark plugs until after 192,000 KM. Do you think this is too long? I know what you are think, that we should follow the manual. They also said tranny fluid never needs replacing under normal driving conditions, etc, but a lot of manufactures have now backed down on those claims. So do you think 192,000 KM is too high.

If you have changed your plugs recently, did you notice a difference in gas mileage. My car is now at 164,000 km.

·
Registered
204 Posts
my man you should change iridium plugs in my opinion every 50k miles which is 80k kilometers

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
this has already been posted..

an ASE certified technician on toyotanation already told us... follow your owners manual. Your plugs are good for over 100K miles. same w/ the tranny fluids. :)

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,271 Posts
Toyota wouldn't tell you to do something if it would affect the long term preformance of the car. Just follow your manual...

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
On the other hand now, the economy is in the toilet at the moment and you are the only guy in town with money burning a hole in his pocket, so go out and buy a set of plugs. Certainly it isn't going to hurt anything other than your checking account, and the parts store might stay in business a little longer as a result of your largess.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
The plugs really do last that long. The plugs have iridium center and platinum side electrodes to prevent erosion. Iridium is more resistant to erosion than platinum which was used on older plugs. Platinum on the side electrode on the side also helps prevent erosion even if no spark fires from there.

When you do go replace the plugs, NGK and Denso are usually the brands that are recommended. Ensure you get the long life iridium plugs. The regular iridium plugs don't have platinum side electrodes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just recently changed the plugs for the first time in our '97 Camry with just under 240,000 km. No difference in fuel economy or in the engine performance that I could detect with the new plugs (and I do monitor the MPG). Just changed them since it was time for another state emissions test and I figured it wouldn't hurt to put in some newer plugs after over 12 years. The old plugs did have some deposits on them but looked like they were all still firing ok.

·
Registered
204 Posts
On the other hand now, the economy is in the toilet at the moment and you are the only guy in town with money burning a hole in his pocket, so go out and buy a set of plugs. Certainly it isn't going to hurt anything other than your checking account, and the parts store might stay in business a little longer as a result of your largess.
actually dude... i work for autozone and even though i work in a smaller store, i've noticed that traffic has increased... and people want to keep fixing there old cars as opposed to selling and buying new... autozone stock has seen great increase in the past year... we are doing better then most companies...

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
actually dude... i work for autozone and even though i work in a smaller store, i've noticed that traffic has increased... and people want to keep fixing there old cars as opposed to selling and buying new... autozone stock has seen great increase in the past year... we are doing better then most companies...
That's great news for a change. At least some corner of the economy is making hay while the sun shines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts