Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a 91 Corolla ae92 a noninterference engine? How often does the timing belt need to be changed? I know the dealer manual says 60,000 but how true is this?

·
Immortal
332 Posts
jenniferimai said:
Is a 91 Corolla ae92 a noninterference engine? How often does the timing belt need to be changed? I know the dealer manual says 60,000 but how true is this?
I believe the engines are, both the 4AGE and 4AFE. Dealer reccomends timing belt change between 60k miles and 100k miles. Anytime between there is goond, and do the waterpump while you're at it.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
you can probably go 100,000 miles..... the 4afe and 4age are both non interference....

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have also heard that both the 4A-FE and 4A-GE engines are non-interference, but this fellow disagrees....

http://skillcentre.com/toyota.html

Hmmm.... The timing belt is cheap enough to replace in either case (being stranded would suck nearly as much as being stranded AND chunking all of your valves). I think that I paid $18 for mine, but obviously you have to remove most of the front of the engine to get at it. I recently did this on my Corolla, and it is pretty easy. Time consuming, but easy. Mine was about ready to break when I changed it...probably would not have gone another 1000 miles! If your car has PS and AC like mine does, the good news is that neither the PS pump nor AC compressor has to be removed to change the T-belt. Just take the accessory drive belts off. It is necessary to remove the motor mount that goes through the timing cover ('cuz it also goes through the timing BELT), and the engine has to be supported with a jack or something while the mount is removed. The crank bolt is kind of a bitch to get off. I personally think that T-belts succumb more to age rather than to mileage, but it is a good idea to change them when Toyota says to. After all, they designed the damned thing, right? :lol: Good luck. Regards, Aaron

·
Registered
92 Corolla Sedan
145 Posts
dont forget to replace your crank and cam oil seals while you are at it, that way you wont have to tear it down again to replace them when they leak

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice... I've also heard something about relplacing 2 tensioners. Is it also a good idea to replace the tensioners or does that really depend on the car/condition? Does anyone know more detail about these?

·
Registered
135 Posts
After you get the t-belt off, spin the tensioner and check it for wobble. If it spins smoothly and has little or no wobble, I'd go ahead and leave it alone. If you are in doubt about it's condition, change it. Good luck. Regards, Aaron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts