Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the page and I have a 96' Camry and its my first car that I bought from my uncle. But I have always been into cars but my dream Toyota is of course a Supra but seeing as this most likely won't happen soon, I at least want boost in my life haha. I have had the crazy idea that maybe I could switch the 5SFE stock engine in my 96' LE Camry with a 5SGTE from a MR2. Would I be able to do that? My thinking is the engine is still a 4 cylinder just the 5SGTE is build to handle boost. My car is sadly a automatic lol but I wish it was a manual. Would I also have to change the tranny if I did the engine swap

·
Who you gonna call?
2004 Camry XLE
996 Posts
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...3sgte-cylinder-head-swap-your-5sfe-block.html

I found that thread, some interesting stuff. If the head from a 5SGTE can fit on a 5SFE, I'm guessing the blocks are nearly the same, and it might bolt up to the transmission. (if the block is way longer or shorter, this might be moot.

Then, you'd want a complete donor car because everything goes! ECM, wiring harness, sensors, etc.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102 sedan, 2006 ZZE122 wagon, 2018 ZRE182 hatch
2,633 Posts
If the head from a 5SGTE can fit on a 5SFE, I'm guessing the blocks are nearly the same, and it might bolt up to the transmission. (if the block is way longer or shorter, this might be moot.
Umm, a 5SGTE is by definition a 3SGTE head on a 5SFE block - obviously the head from an already-converted 5SGTE (there is no such thing as a factory 5SGTE) will bolt on to a 5SFE block as you are REMOVING it from a 5SFE block to begin with....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about haha. But you are saying basically I should just put the 3SGTE if I wanted to turbo my Camry? Could I probably run the A/T or would I probably also have to do a tranny swap to be able to handle the power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.