Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a decent looking 91 pickup with rebuilt 4cyl engine (35,000kms on rebuild), 5spd, extended cab etc... For something that I plan on doing some light offroading in, is the 91 a good year? Any known problems with this year? I haven't been told yet, how many km's are on the body,but if its a fair bit (and I imagine it probably is, since the motor has been rebuilt), what kind of problems could I run into, with the rest of the truck?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
There's no problems specific to a 91.
Frame rust is a big problem for the 80s and early 90s trucks in some areas.
Would be good to know the last time the Timing Chain was replaced, should be every 100K miles or so.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
The trucks didn't change all too much from '89-'95. The 22R was discontinued in 1991 or 1992, but was pretty rare at that point. 1992 was the year of a facelift and the addition of the Toyota "globe" logo. Each year has a new sport stripe design, and 1994's and 1995s have the 3rd brake light and side impact door beams. Also minor trim and slight interior tweaks vary between years.

·
Registered
1994 Pickup
147 Posts
I find the 1991 to have been a superlative vintage. Mouthfeel is redolent of cherries and black fruit, with just a hint of Toyota red coolant in the nose. Ready to drink now, or lay down for another 5-10 years for the flavors to mature more fully.

·
Yakerat
1991 2wd 22re xcab
116 Posts
I drive a 91 2wd extracab with a mild lift, bigger wheels and tires, and a limited slip rear end. With my current setup I can get anywhere around my house (Flat Coastal So-Cal) with no problems. Before I installed my new differential w/ a detroit trutrac limited slip and 4.56 gears I had a bad case of the "One Wheel Peel" and I could not get up many steep dirt inclines w/o some serious momentum. Out of all the modifications I have done so far the Limited slip made BY FAR the biggest difference off road.

Now take into account that this is Southern California and not Canada. I have not yet been on snow with my new limited slip so I do not know how well it would do in winter conditions. I have been on snow w/o limited slip and it was NOT pretty. Very slippery w/ only one wheel spinning....:ugh3:

·
Registered
138 Posts
sure 91 or any year before 94 is awsome imo, toyota does have its typical problems though...the one i cant stand is the cheap plastic timing chain guides, the problem doesnt stop there..toyota requires you to remove the head just to do the timing because of a small gasket that meets the timing cover.well im not about to do a head job just because of a small timing problem..it took me forever to figure out how to seal that gasket without removing the head

·
Fail
93 yota
679 Posts
check the frame rails for rust, look near the spring hangars and perches at the rear - and near the gas tank ..

Also check the cab corners and rockers, and the floor by the firewall - these are really common rust spots for a yota.. Not a huge deal if there is rust there but it might not be something you want to tackle ..

If the motor was rebuilt it more than likely has a new timing chain .. I wouldn't go ripping it apart to check unless you hear it chattering around..

the 22re is a pretty strong motor and has little problems, the occasional valve adjustment and she's good to go

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
Hey! What's wrong with 94?
Yeah. :smokin:
I think he meant before the Tacoma's.

sure 91 or any year before 94 is awsome imo, toyota does have its typical problems though...the one i cant stand is the cheap plastic timing chain guides, the problem doesnt stop there..toyota requires you to remove the head just to do the timing because of a small gasket that meets the timing cover.well im not about to do a head job just because of a small timing problem..it took me forever to figure out how to seal that gasket without removing the head
lol I did my timing chain job when i was 15. didn't pull the head. I just did it by placing sealant around the cover, then "sliding" the top end first.

that was such a long time ago.

·
Registered
1994 Pickup
147 Posts
lol I did my timing chain job when i was 15. didn't pull the head. I just did it by placing sealant around the cover, then "sliding" the top end first.
I had to do this also, when I BROKE my timing chain after it had already been installed, by trying to force it after it hopped a tooth. :headbang::headbang: I found it a lot harder than people make it out to be. My timing chain-head interface is now about 5% head gasket and about 125% RTV.

But hey, no oil leaks. Yet...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts